-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Heading out Friday night to hunt near Carbondale on a ranch in the valley. The ranch manager has let it lie quiet 1st season with no hunters. Last Saturday he reported 60 head on the property with two bulls over 300. He texted a pic yesterday of another big herd on the property. One bull reported to be a 6x7 and the other and giant 6x6. We've got four of us, with two in each blind. I hope to get video, but with the early herds, it's looking like a Seal Team hunt. You take the bull on the left, I'll take the one on the right in 3...2...1... BANG!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good luck!Drive safe and shoot straight. Be sure to post a hero pic when you get back.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
a ranch blind hunt is bucket list stuff?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck! Hope you have a good hunt.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
a ranch blind hunt is bucket list stuff?

It is for me, Don. I've spent many years scoping elk that boogied out of public ground onto private, wishing I could ever get access. I've never shot a big bull. I've gotten rags, spikes and lots of cows, but never had the chance at a big bull. I've been close several times, but couldn't ever get in the right position.

My real bucket list hunt is Alaskan Moose, but since my boys won't be out of college until I'm pushing 60, who knows if I'll ever be able to do that. I'm grateful for the opportunity. Here's the pic he sent me from two days ago:

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good luck on your hunt.

Pictures will be required upon your return, lol.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
well, alrighty then. good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck!

Make sure your safety is off when you're doing your 3...2...1..., SEAL style!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make sure you have a chambered round, otherwise the safety is useless

Last edited by badaboom; 10/17/14.

Lifetime NRA MEMBER
Honorable - Disabled Veteran USAF SGT E5
Tradition, Preservation, People, Improvement
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the horizon
Georgia, DC, Germany, Colorado, California, Alaska, South Dakota
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Good luck! Hope you get a chance at one of those nice bulls.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Looking forward to hearing your report!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got back Sunday night and overall it was good. Very different than any elk hunt I've ever been on because I've never spent that many days sitting on my ass in my life. But the views in the area were gorgeous. This was from the highway below the ranch.

[Linked Image]

We arrived about 1:30 a.m. on opening morning and caught a few hours of shut eye in our trucks until we met the ranch manager about 5:30. The hunting party was my cousin, his 18 year-year old son, his dad (72) and me. The RM gave us the lowdown on the blinds, tree stands and how the elk flow on the property and talked about the two big bulls he'd seen several times in the past two weeks. It was a nice set up with all angles covered and no shot over 400 yards. There's a large pond on the ranch below his and the elk go down there at night for water. I stumbled on the elk highway later in the week and the amount of sign up there was insane - a trail 6 feet wide covered in elk tracks all going the same direction - away from the water.

Opening day we simply sat in blinds and waited we had a few cows wander through , but we wanted to save our cow tags for later in the week as we were hoping for a chance at the two big bulls in the area. Early afternoon, we had a small 4 point bull come in with a spike and two cows. We let him come through, hoping that a bigger bull would follow, but no luck. Later in the week, we would regret letting that small bull pass through.

[Linked Image]

Come day three, we had seen some elk, but not in any numbers and no bulls since the spike and 4 pointer. It had gotten hotter every day and was in the 70's, so the elk were mostly bedded down and higher during the week. That was the hottest week of elk hunting I've ever experienced. I'm guessing it is much more like what the fellas in Arizona and New Mexico get most years.

Day four and we were at the halfway mark - no elk down, no deer down and time was ticking, so we decided to start filling the freezer. Later in the afternoon I had a decent 4x5 come out with a few cows. I settled my 270wsm behind his shoulder at 175 yards, thought about those phantom big bulls and squeezed the trigger. His legs went all wobbly and he staggered about 30 yards before he tipped over. I was shooting the 150gr Fusion and it went clean through with a small exit wound, leading me to surmise that the bullet held together despite going through both sides of the ribcage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On Wednesday, my cousin had a similar 4x5 appear in front of his blind and he dispatched it with a 450 Marlin behind the shoulder at 125 yards. (sorry no pics of that one but it was a little bigger than mine). The 450 Hornady LeverRevolution slug came to rest just inside the skin of the far chest wall and it performed beautifully, retaining a lot of its initial mass.

Thursday, my cousin's son was getting itchy for a kill and harvested a nice mule deer doe with his 300wsm. She was in the trees less than 75 yards from the tree stand he was in and the shot was perfect behind the shoulder. No elk on Thursday made an appearance.

By Friday, we only had 2 elk down and it was hot as Hades, so we decided to risk kicking the elk off the mountain side and I volunteered to go put the sneak on some bedded elk and see what we could stir up. I spent the better part of 2 hours carefully moving around what we assumed were the prime bedding areas, moving slowly and keeping the wind right. For this task I took my 1957 Marlin 30-30 in case i ran into a nice deer. About 90 minutes in I about stepped on a cow in her bed. I never saw her before she bolted, despite only taking a few steps at a time and scanning the trees. I saw her but as she jumped away and 45 seconds later a shot rang out from the blinds below. Success! My cousin's son drilled her with a neck shot from 100 yards and she piled up on the spot! Three elk and three perfect shot placements equaled a lot of great meat for our families.

Not much happened on Saturday. I walked the trees again, but there were n elk on the reservation. I spotted a doe at 75 yards, but she was at the top of the ridge with no backstop, so I had to let her pass and watch her jump the fence to the next property.

Sunday morning, we finally had a premier opportunity. Not a bull, but a giant mulie buck. He walked out 375 yards broadside to my cousin's Dad and started to eat some alfalfa. Cousin's dad is a part-time deputy sheriff in a small Colorado county and brought his AR-10 and was loaded with 168gr Ballistic silvertips. He had a rest in his blind and I heard 4 shots ring out in short order - but no dead buck. I saw the dirt fly at the buck's feet. Way low. He was positive he hit it. I asked him where he aimed and he said he was zeroed at 200, so he aimed upper shoulder "because his gun only drops 6 inches at that distance". With an 18" barrel bleeding velocity, his bullet drop was probably more like 38" at 375 yards. Oh well. But what a buck. Hopefully his progeny will be running that area for years to come. Spectacular rack on that one.

Probably the best thing about the hunt was that we were able to drive a truck to within 50 yards of every kill so it was the easiest elk loading of all time. The only thing easier would be if they jumped in the truck before dying.

I also made a good contact for a 5th season cow hunt for my son in December and January. So it ended up not being the bucket list hunt that I hoped for, but still a fabulous week and a full freezer.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the report. Congrats a nice hunt!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
his AR-10 with 168gr Ballistic silvertips. zeroed at 200 With an 18" barrel his bullet drop was probably more like 38" at 375 yards.

maybe half that drop......

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just looked it up and it's 25" drop at 400 yards zeroed at 200 with a normal barrel length, so the 18" barrel would be around 300 fps slower at the muzzle which will increase that drop. Much closer to the 30"+ range than the 6" range.

I was guessing on the drop - I've never shot a 308 in the field but figured it has significantly more drop than my 270wsm at that distance.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 10/28/14.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nice elk and nice write up. Congrats on your hunt.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You hunted a beautiful part of the state for sure, Nice post and enjoy those steaks!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on your hunt. Thanks for the pics.

I got to do my bucket list hunt about 3 years ago. Just like you I have always previously hunted DIY and on public land. At a Navy Seals fundraiser I won a guided hunt on Greg Norman's Ranch here in Colorado. It was a great time.

Now its back to the steep and deep grunt hunting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.