Print Thread
Hop To
L
Luis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm planning in buying a work sharp, can I Use this machine to in D2 and SV30 steel? Any draw back in using this type of machine?

regards

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The worksharp works really well but there is a learning curve just like anything else. It can and will round off your points if you don't draw the blade off at the right time during your stroke. I would recommend you use a bunch of your kitchen knives first to get a good idea of what to expect.

I personally only use my worksharp on kitchen knives.

L
Luis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Woodson,

Thanks for the reply kitchen knives will be the primary use for the worksharp. The reason for the question is, I have a few Imgram and May knife that are losing their edge. I tried to sharpen them but I didn't do such a good job. I have never have so much trouble sharpening knives before, but those knives are regular steel.

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The W.S. will not care if the steel is high carbon or high carbon stainless, etc. It has helped a lot of users do a better job sharpening than they did before owning one.

As noted above, practice with your bottom end blades first and watch your follow thru at the end of the stroke.

I do not think you will need the higher priced Ken Onion model. The wider belts are nice, but the variable angle settings and speed settings will get some users to grind away excess steel over time by not going back to the same settings when doing the re-sharpening.

I sharpen my customs on an Edge Pro, but user kitchen and filet knives get the 25 degree fixture on a Work Sharp.

Whatever you sharpen with, do not go to a finer grit until you are rolling a burr on the opposite side you are removing steel from.
I prefer an impregnated leather strop vs super fine belt for the final finish.

JMHO
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 10/15/14.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
L
Luis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Cool,

Thanks for the information, I will do a lot of practice with the kitchen knife before I raise the courage to run the mine good knife through the worksharp.

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Once you get comfortable with it, it will keep you plenty sharp.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.