Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So, I'm loving my S&W 57 I just got (thanks, Adam!), and I am looking forward to carrying it during our firearms season. I generally do carry a handgun (I have a CCW, or LTCF as they are dubbed here in PA), and for CCW/non-hunting carry, I use a G23 currently.

While bowhunting, I carry the G23, as it's fairly small and unobstrusive. During rifle season, however, the Model 57 is a legal hunting firearm, and therefore could be used to dispatch wounded game and/or to take game. The G23 is not legal for such purposes. I had figured I'd get a holster for the 57 and carry that during the firearms season. I have had several people I hunt with strenuously recommend a shoulder holster over a belt mounted holster. None of us hunts frequently with a handgun, so I figured I'd ask here to see what others are using for these purposes.

I get that a strong-side holster will be tricky to access while sitting in a treestand, as my elbow has to go back past my body in order to get to the handgun, but a cross-draw setup on my left(weak side) hip should be easier, I'd think? A shoulder rig just seems to me like it'd be a PITA, but I've never used one, so I figured I'd see what others who have done so think of them?

Thanks! smile

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
El Paso Saddlery Co. makes a nice crossdraw and shoulder rig. They make great holsters, and have for over a 100 years!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd go shoulder rig all the way.

Here are your best options:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-96-25-1942-tanker-holster-5-12-to-8-38-barrels.aspx

I love the El Paso rig. But after buying one of these I think I love it more better. The holster part of the rig unsnaps and can be used as a belt holster. Also allows additional holsters to be used with the existing shoulder rig. It is extremely comfortable and very well made. Norm is nice guy.

http://www.montanaholster.com/

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recommend that you go with the El Paso Saddlery tankers rig.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. The next holster I buy for an N frame Smith will be the tanker.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
El Paso Tanker.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I prefer the chest rig from DiamondD custom leather for a hunting handgun. I have tankers as well and find the more horizontal draw to be more comfortable while sitting. Don't forget that if this is going to be carried as a sidearm some consideration in holsters has to be given to how you carry your rifle. I cannot comfortably carry one of my revolvers in a strong side belt holster while I'm carrying a slung rifle, both the rifle's stock and the pistol's grips will be beat to heck by one another in a short time. Others may be different depending on how they're built but I'm a scrawny guy with boney hips and don't have a lot of options for belt carry that are comfortable.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For my hunting rigs I went the cheap route....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandolier-S...3?pt=US_Holsters&hash=item5aee93cf8d

It can be configured to be a chest holster, under the arm bandolier holster or a standard belt holster, strong side or cross draw.

Not fancy but it is made in the USA and gets the job done. I have four of them and between them they take almost every revolver and semi-auto I own, scoped and standard sights...$22.00...can't go wrong...

For a belt holster I would look at the Simply Rugged. Can be worn strong side or cross draw... There are also straps to make it into a IWB holster and another set to make it into a chest holster..

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the EPS Tanker and a Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig and it would be really hard to go wrong with either one. Either one is an excellent choice for packing large or heavy handguns in the field and the versatility of wearing over heavy outer coats or a vest is a big plus to me. I think I prefer the Diamond D rig best if I were forced to pick just one.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm an old fashioned Neanderthal who really likes a crossdraw flap holster for carrying a revolver afield. The flap keeps the gun butt from banging against stuff or getting scratched.

I was forced to carry a crossdraw flap holster as a duty rig for many years. Never liked them for law enforcement use, but I love them for field use, especially for longer barreled revolvers.

Personally I can draw a large revolver better from a CDF holster than a high ride strong side holster, especially if wearing cold weather clothing.

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/017.html

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 10/16/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Von Ringler Tanker.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This is a dandy, and it will snap onto any flap or belt holster. I often use it with a Bianchi 116 flap holster. Great rig.

http://www.montanaholster.com/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 7x leather chest holster on order after 2 weeks borrowing a buddies on my deer hunt.

Very comfortable and in my opinion well thought out set up for heavy handguns.

ETA. BS'd with Wes at 7x about my order again today and he mentioned he had several in stock for shorter barrel Smiths

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just to update--

A buddy handed me a couple of holsters he had laying around. Both fit my revolver, but I don't know much else. Tried them for fit, but he and I are on a deer hunt out of state, so I'll try the holster on for comfort and carry qualities when we get home.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

645 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,243
Posts18,447,892
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.