Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am thinking of giving a Terra X3 4-12x42 a blind try.......so as I have never held one I'd like to hear what some of the campfire guy's that do have experience with these scope's think......How do they compare optically to Leupold scopes? are the Terra scopes VX3 quality optic's or do they compare better with the VX2 line?...............Thanks Hb

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the cabelas instinct or Meopta Meopro better than the Tera. Since they are priced the same I would look at them

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 10/17/14.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
^ this

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really like the terra line. Damn good from what I have seen. I also have a 4-12x42 with the RZ8 reticle coming in today. I'll give more of a report as to what I think of that one after I use it a bit. I can't say enough good about my 3-9x42, however, I wish they had a zero resettable turret. That's my only complaint.. The glass is every bit as good as the few VX3's I've had and sent down the road. A lot of Leupold snobs will warn you about the "short" eye relief of the Zeiss terra, but if you can't live with 3.7" of ER, you are doing something wrong. wink . Maybe those guys need to take up golf or knitting so they don't hurt themselves..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A lot of Leupold snobs will warn you about the "short" eye relief of the Zeiss terra, but if you can't live with 3.7" of ER, you are doing something wrong. wink .

Which Leupold has more than 3.7" of eye relief? None of the VX3's do. They might have more at the low end of their magnification range but you have to set them up for the eye relief at max magnification because that is where the eye relief is more critical. What good is 4.5" eye relief if it is only present at 2x?

I don't know much about the Terra but, if it shares anything in common with the Conquest, it has much more constant eye relief than any VX3. I'd much rather 3 1/4" of constant eye relief across the entire range of magnification than the "somewhere between 3.5" and 4.5" " that Leupold offers.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
VA,

This thread will go on for days as the Leupold haters and Leupold lovers go at each other, I suggest you take a look at this thread from a couple of weeks back.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9221735/1

No doubt Terras are good scopes, but you probably should take a close look at one for yourself to see if the eye relief is genuinely constant and if it is sufficient for your needs.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3.7" ER my ass............

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I really like the terra line. Damn good from what I have seen. I also have a 4-12x42 with the RZ8 reticle coming in today. I'll give more of a report as to what I think of that one after I use it a bit. I can't say enough good about my 3-9x42, however, I wish they had a zero resettable turret. That's my only complaint.. The glass is every bit as good as the few VX3's I've had and sent down the road. A lot of Leupold snobs will warn you about the "short" eye relief of the Zeiss terra, but if you can't live with 3.7" of ER, you are doing something wrong. wink . Maybe those guys need to take up golf or knitting so they don't hurt themselves..

If you consider under 3" at 9x as NOT short eye-relief you are an idiot. Of course that just applies to the 3-9x Terra, I haven't used a 4-12x. The idiot part still applies

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the Terra really has less than 3" of eye relief, that's disappointing on a couple of levels, both in terms Zeiss putting out a product like that and with falsely claiming 3.6" or whatever it is they claim.

In any event, at that price point, I'd be looking at Conquests, Meopros, Vipers, ZA5 HDs, maybe SII Big Skys, and Bushnell Elites. You'll have to shop around for Terra prices on some of those but they can be found.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep, i own a couple bushnell elite scopes and like them very much.............Hb

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've looked through them. Clean, bright and really good resolution for the price point. I'd say better than VX2, very close to VX3 if not equal.. However, the short eye relief makes it much less forgiving than either Leupold. Might require fairly high mount to get it far enough rearward. Also, the Terra appears very boxy in shape. Pick your poison. I'd choose Leupold over Terra, or give Meopro a look, which is what I did. Meopro has better eye relief, though still not equivalent to Leupold, and has better glass than Terra, VX2 & VX3, in my opinion. I'd guess the Conquest line is basically the same as Meopro. The 3.5-10x44 Meopro is a GREAT price at Camera Land NY, $399. It was $649.

Last edited by drano 25; 10/18/14.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice post Drano.......Weight is a big factor in My decision, how heavy is the Meopta?........................Thanks Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Your right $399.00 is a fantastic price, but it's a little weighty at over 16 oz's.......................Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just got one as you saw in the listed thread. Eye relief is short, compared to my Leupolds and Nikons. Not horrible but noticeably shorter. Eye box is big for the eye relief, good clear glass. I like the Z-plex #20 over Leupold standard Duplex. Scope is light, clicks are a little mushy, but other than zeroing they wont get moved. Had no trouble mounting it in Leupold medium windage rings and bases. Plenty of room for and aft even with a #4 Hart on a long action 700. Not impressed with the rear focusing ring. Works well enough, PIA to put a rear flip up on, so I don't care for them on any brand. Haven't shot it yet, put it on a back up deer rifle 338-06AI 9lb #4 Hart in a McM Classic. If the eye relief causes issues it will go on a softer recoiling gun. That is my 1st impressions. I got mine for 280.00 delivered so I am pleased so far for the money I spent. I think there are better options if you are spending the $449.00 they list for JMHO. Camera Land still had a few open box specials, with the $50.00 rebate about 2 weeks ago, both 4-12 and 3-9.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice non biased review Blueprinted.............Thanks Hb

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yep AWESOME review! I mean not one round fired but awesome!

Not one snippet of whether they work, but the GLASS!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I like the cabelas instinct or Meopta Meopro better than the Tera. Since they are priced the same I would look at them

I would like to hear your findings on both of those if you care to share.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After a million rounds.....? grin

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Naw, I'm figuring one range trip would start the crickets....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I'm just crazy, but when I lay out 3-4 hundred bucks for a scope, I don't really have high expectations that it will perform like a scope that you would use/need for the type of work you do. I'm a retired LEO and I get the concept of equipment failure not being an option. With that in mind, I always bought the best equipment for a specific task. I know that you have mentioned a couple of scopes that do cut it for your job and are very reasonably priced (SWFA SS and the FX-3), but outside that, your list gets real short and in a hurry. Some guys (mortal hunters) might not want a 20+ ounce scope (the SS) on a Kimber Montana, other maybe fine with it. I know in a perfect world, scopes would track perfectly, hold zero regardless and return to zero in said fashion. I think that you have to remember that the scope makers are business men first just like any other business, meaning they have to cut corners. They have a market....average hunters who shoot very little for the most part, and if upon their annual range trip they have to adjust their scopes they probably think nothing of it. Heck, in that scenario, they probably chalk it off to any other number of reasons a "scope" could be they culprit, you know, like change in ammo, bedding shift (they usually just tighten the guard screws) and go out and kill a deer with amazing regularity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.