Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am thinking of giving a Terra X3 4-12x42 a blind try.......so as I have never held one I'd like to hear what some of the campfire guy's that do have experience with these scope's think......How do they compare optically to Leupold scopes? are the Terra scopes VX3 quality optic's or do they compare better with the VX2 line?...............Thanks Hb

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the cabelas instinct or Meopta Meopro better than the Tera. Since they are priced the same I would look at them

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 10/17/14.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
^ this

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really like the terra line. Damn good from what I have seen. I also have a 4-12x42 with the RZ8 reticle coming in today. I'll give more of a report as to what I think of that one after I use it a bit. I can't say enough good about my 3-9x42, however, I wish they had a zero resettable turret. That's my only complaint.. The glass is every bit as good as the few VX3's I've had and sent down the road. A lot of Leupold snobs will warn you about the "short" eye relief of the Zeiss terra, but if you can't live with 3.7" of ER, you are doing something wrong. wink . Maybe those guys need to take up golf or knitting so they don't hurt themselves..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
A lot of Leupold snobs will warn you about the "short" eye relief of the Zeiss terra, but if you can't live with 3.7" of ER, you are doing something wrong. wink .

Which Leupold has more than 3.7" of eye relief? None of the VX3's do. They might have more at the low end of their magnification range but you have to set them up for the eye relief at max magnification because that is where the eye relief is more critical. What good is 4.5" eye relief if it is only present at 2x?

I don't know much about the Terra but, if it shares anything in common with the Conquest, it has much more constant eye relief than any VX3. I'd much rather 3 1/4" of constant eye relief across the entire range of magnification than the "somewhere between 3.5" and 4.5" " that Leupold offers.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
VA,

This thread will go on for days as the Leupold haters and Leupold lovers go at each other, I suggest you take a look at this thread from a couple of weeks back.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9221735/1

No doubt Terras are good scopes, but you probably should take a close look at one for yourself to see if the eye relief is genuinely constant and if it is sufficient for your needs.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3.7" ER my ass............

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I really like the terra line. Damn good from what I have seen. I also have a 4-12x42 with the RZ8 reticle coming in today. I'll give more of a report as to what I think of that one after I use it a bit. I can't say enough good about my 3-9x42, however, I wish they had a zero resettable turret. That's my only complaint.. The glass is every bit as good as the few VX3's I've had and sent down the road. A lot of Leupold snobs will warn you about the "short" eye relief of the Zeiss terra, but if you can't live with 3.7" of ER, you are doing something wrong. wink . Maybe those guys need to take up golf or knitting so they don't hurt themselves..

If you consider under 3" at 9x as NOT short eye-relief you are an idiot. Of course that just applies to the 3-9x Terra, I haven't used a 4-12x. The idiot part still applies

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the Terra really has less than 3" of eye relief, that's disappointing on a couple of levels, both in terms Zeiss putting out a product like that and with falsely claiming 3.6" or whatever it is they claim.

In any event, at that price point, I'd be looking at Conquests, Meopros, Vipers, ZA5 HDs, maybe SII Big Skys, and Bushnell Elites. You'll have to shop around for Terra prices on some of those but they can be found.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep, i own a couple bushnell elite scopes and like them very much.............Hb

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've looked through them. Clean, bright and really good resolution for the price point. I'd say better than VX2, very close to VX3 if not equal.. However, the short eye relief makes it much less forgiving than either Leupold. Might require fairly high mount to get it far enough rearward. Also, the Terra appears very boxy in shape. Pick your poison. I'd choose Leupold over Terra, or give Meopro a look, which is what I did. Meopro has better eye relief, though still not equivalent to Leupold, and has better glass than Terra, VX2 & VX3, in my opinion. I'd guess the Conquest line is basically the same as Meopro. The 3.5-10x44 Meopro is a GREAT price at Camera Land NY, $399. It was $649.

Last edited by drano 25; 10/18/14.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice post Drano.......Weight is a big factor in My decision, how heavy is the Meopta?........................Thanks Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Your right $399.00 is a fantastic price, but it's a little weighty at over 16 oz's.......................Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just got one as you saw in the listed thread. Eye relief is short, compared to my Leupolds and Nikons. Not horrible but noticeably shorter. Eye box is big for the eye relief, good clear glass. I like the Z-plex #20 over Leupold standard Duplex. Scope is light, clicks are a little mushy, but other than zeroing they wont get moved. Had no trouble mounting it in Leupold medium windage rings and bases. Plenty of room for and aft even with a #4 Hart on a long action 700. Not impressed with the rear focusing ring. Works well enough, PIA to put a rear flip up on, so I don't care for them on any brand. Haven't shot it yet, put it on a back up deer rifle 338-06AI 9lb #4 Hart in a McM Classic. If the eye relief causes issues it will go on a softer recoiling gun. That is my 1st impressions. I got mine for 280.00 delivered so I am pleased so far for the money I spent. I think there are better options if you are spending the $449.00 they list for JMHO. Camera Land still had a few open box specials, with the $50.00 rebate about 2 weeks ago, both 4-12 and 3-9.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice non biased review Blueprinted.............Thanks Hb

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yep AWESOME review! I mean not one round fired but awesome!

Not one snippet of whether they work, but the GLASS!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I like the cabelas instinct or Meopta Meopro better than the Tera. Since they are priced the same I would look at them

I would like to hear your findings on both of those if you care to share.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After a million rounds.....? grin

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Naw, I'm figuring one range trip would start the crickets....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I'm just crazy, but when I lay out 3-4 hundred bucks for a scope, I don't really have high expectations that it will perform like a scope that you would use/need for the type of work you do. I'm a retired LEO and I get the concept of equipment failure not being an option. With that in mind, I always bought the best equipment for a specific task. I know that you have mentioned a couple of scopes that do cut it for your job and are very reasonably priced (SWFA SS and the FX-3), but outside that, your list gets real short and in a hurry. Some guys (mortal hunters) might not want a 20+ ounce scope (the SS) on a Kimber Montana, other maybe fine with it. I know in a perfect world, scopes would track perfectly, hold zero regardless and return to zero in said fashion. I think that you have to remember that the scope makers are business men first just like any other business, meaning they have to cut corners. They have a market....average hunters who shoot very little for the most part, and if upon their annual range trip they have to adjust their scopes they probably think nothing of it. Heck, in that scenario, they probably chalk it off to any other number of reasons a "scope" could be they culprit, you know, like change in ammo, bedding shift (they usually just tighten the guard screws) and go out and kill a deer with amazing regularity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just as a side note, I happen to be friends with Chris Farris and because of the way be buys them and sells them (direct) he can offer the scope at a much lower cost than lets say Leupold, Bushnell etc who have MUCH larger overhead costs to factor into their pricing. I saw MilQuad reticles before anyone knew the SS was even going to be produced again. I also know the guys who had major input in the reticle design as well.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Who is Chris Farris??....Should I be impressed?.........................Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I am thinking of giving a Terra X3 4-12x42 a blind try.......so as I have never held one I'd like to hear what some of the campfire guy's that do have experience with these scope's think......How do they compare optically to Leupold scopes? are the Terra scopes VX3 quality optic's or do they compare better with the VX2 line?...............Thanks Hb

LGS has sale. The sign said 3-9x42 Z-Plex $249 and the one with "bullet drop" reticle $279 both after $50 rebate from Zeiss. Frankly I don't see how one could go wrong at those prices for new made in Japan Zeiss optics. I had Carl Zeiss Contax/Yashica mount Japanese lenses for almost 30 years and they perform fine to this day.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! Thats some great prices Slavek, but I dont think I will go with the Terra x3 now, thanks to my campfire buds I now know that eye relief on these aint so great, I will be mounting this scope on a Tikka T3 Superlight .300 WM so i better get an optic with a little better eye relief............Thanks Hb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't think I'd put one on a win mag however the eye relief is lots for my 270 tikler. And for my 223 tikler.

In a head to head comparison with my leupy FX3 6X42 I gave it to the Zeiss Terra3.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Yep AWESOME review! I mean not one round fired but awesome!

Not one snippet of whether they work, but the GLASS!

It is absolutely amazing that anyone has managed to kill game without consulting you first. It blows my mind that it happens, or has happened for probably what....60 years?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Was I wrong? A bunch of glowing reviews from dudes who have not shot a single round with it. Yep, that's where'd I'd get my info.

Only a moron would think reviews of an object that no one has used is worth anything.

I apologize for hurting your fragile ego by pointing out that most average hunting scopes are not suitable for distance work. But feel free to illuminate me on all your findings of firing a whole "200" rounds with one whole scope with CDS.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd feel free to educate you on how I've killed over 200 head of big game since 1971 without twisting turrets, but you're ego won't let you learn from an "average" guy like me, so carry on with yourself. You're too much of a smartazzz for me to worry with anyway.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Not a smartazz at all. You mistake simple reality for ego and you continually talk about things that are out of your depth of experience and then throw tantrums when someone calls you on it. I could care less if you or anyone else twists a turret in their lifetime. If distance ain't your gig or if scopes that hold a zero don't interest you then carry on. Please feel free to see if I've responded to posts titled- "I have no interest in shooting past 200 yards or scopes that work". When someone asks about distance or using turrets or reliable scopes- sorry, you're Leupold, Ziess, Burris variables are lacking. This is reality. No matter how many dudes that you've "guided" to a deer.

This discussion isn't about how much big game that you've killed, but if you like I'm comfortable discussing same. I've never killed more than about 60 in a day on crop damage. Of course that's not "hunting", though I've only broke into the 20's a year on regular tags not more than 8 or 10 times. Last year was slow, but I did manage to see what the fuss over the NF MOAR reticle was on 14 in a weeks time.

I would greatly like to hear your thoughts on DIY sage brush Mule deer hunting, and if you'd care to pen a treatise I would read.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not a smartazz at all. You mistake simple reality for ego and you continually talk about things that are out of your depth of experience and then throw tantrums when someone calls you on it.

Such as......?

I would greatly like to hear your thoughts on DIY sage brush Mule deer hunting, and if you'd care to pen a treatise I would read.

A guy like me couldn't possibly teach a guy like you anything. I think I'll pass.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/23/14.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Formidilosus, its more than apparant your motives are not necessarily to just spread good information.

Any real hunter would have no problem putting meat in the freezer any friking day of the week using a Zeiss Terra3

I had never checked the eye relief on the two Zeiss Terra3s I've been using for about a year now but became a bit curious so I got out some rifles this morning and went to measuring as compared to a leupold FX3 6X42 I have.

The Terra3 was as advertised and my leupold was slightly less than advertized.

Realistically if slightly less than 1/4" will make or break you on eye relief something's wrong.

My advice, start lifting weights or take up knitting as BSA recommended.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/23/14.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
What are my motives then?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may just be the single biggest dumbf**k on this whole website. Truly an accomplishment of immense magnitude.

You have already proven yourself incompetent as to rifles, and I see you are now set out to prove same regarding optics.

So what did the Terra measure on 3X? 9X? What did the Leupold measure?

How were said measurements calculated?

You couldn't measure the diameter of a .308 bullet without f**king it up.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
You may just be the single biggest dumbf**k on this whole website. Truly an accomplishment of immense magnitude.

You have already proven yourself incompetent as to rifles, and I see you are now set out to prove same regarding optics.

So what did the Terra measure on 3X? 9X? What did the Leupold measure?

How were said measurements calculated?

You couldn't measure the diameter of a .308 bullet without f**king it up.....

This kind of talk while hiding behind a screen is nothing short of chicken schit!

It doesn't sit right with me!

I'm willing to have this conversation face to face but not like this because any outdoorsman knows it would be chicken schit as hell to have a conversation like this hiding!

If not face to face I'll be replying to you no further.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LMAO.

What's the problem, unable to back up your BS again, tough guy.

No surprise here.

You insult people regularly yet whine like a little b**ch when it happens to you.

Priceless....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not a tough guy at all!

Its just that I'm not a sneeky, hiding, little coward!

Sionora you scared,hiding, little chicken schit.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would say continually insulting people personally, then whining when the tables are turned is pretty cowardly, Princess.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shodd,

Formidilosus, its more than apparant your motives are not necessarily to just spread good information.

Any real hunter would have no problem putting meat in the freezer any friking day of the week using a Zeiss Terra3

I had never checked the eye relief on the two Zeiss Terra3s I've been using for about a year now but became a bit curious so I got out some rifles this morning and went to measuring as compared to a leupold FX3 6X42 I have.

The Terra3 was as advertised and my leupold was slightly less than advertized.

Realistically if slightly less than 1/4" will make or break you on eye relief something's wrong.

My advice, start lifting weights or take up knitting as BSA recommended.

Shod

It appears I'm late to this thread. I would really like to see your comparison figures.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ringman, I took measurements useing my scoped rifles. Seems like a more accurate way to get a real life reading.

Both the Leupold and Zeiss scope are on tikka rifles that are exact in every way except caliber.

Both scopes are adjusted to fit me when the rifle is shouldered.

The Zeiss scope sits just less than 1/4" further back when measuring from the recoil pad to the scope.

I then shouldered the rifle with the Zeiss scope and had a friend measure from my eye to the scope and he measured 3.6"

I actually own a Zeiss Terra3 and have used one for about a year. Though it doesn't make me an expert I think it does qualify as some experience.

It sure beats just shooting my f**king mouth off when I've never owned a terra3 nor fired a rifle with one on it for that matter.

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shooting your mouth off is what got you into trouble in the first place. It's all that you do, other than insult people and make outlandish claims about $hit that you don't own and cannot back up.

How soon we forget. Where are the Marlins, Savages, and Americans you state your Tikka has PROVEN to be more accurate than? Or were you just shooting your mouth off?

LMAO. You are a joke.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You shouldered the rifle while your boyfriend jammed a ruler in your eye? Really? laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got me into trouble while you hide behind your screen like a chicken schit? Really?

If you've never owned a Zeiss Terra3 nor fired a rifle with a Zeiss Terra3 on it the best advise I can give you is SYFM!

Keep hiding behind you're screen shaking like a chicken schit!

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I'm shaking, Princess....from laughter laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, I'm shaking, Princess....from laughter laugh

So are most everyone one the fire reading this grin

Please continue to tell the good folks here on the fire about a scope you've never owned nor used laugh

My god I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ALL are laughing at you, not with you. Too bad you are too fu**ing stupid too realize that.

I've called you out on a multitude of claims you have made, and you have yet to attempt to validate a single one.

Pretty much PROVES my point.

Now go and sit back down at the kiddie table and STFU.......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=2muchgun]

I've called you out on a multitude of claims you have made, and you have yet to attempt to validate a single one.

Pretty much PROVES my point.

Kind of like this question that has remained unanswered.

If you've neither owned nor have ever used the Zeiss scope in question I'm wondering why you are trying to give any advice concerning the product.

Have you any F**king experience at all with the Zeiss Terra3

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/24/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
YES I have experience behind a Zeiss Terra. Eye relief is SHORT. And gets shorter the higher the power. I also have LOTS of experience behind Conquests and don't care for them one bit. But I will say one thing, they are EASILY better than Terra.

Please, go ahead and tell me I'm wrong about the ER. Maybe your boyfriend can jam another ruler in your eye for a second "test". Remember to put your lab coats on laugh

I also have about 40-50 scope boxes atop a gun safe right now that do not even represent 1/4 of the scopes I've owned, let alone used.

NOW your turn:

---Tell us all about Tikka tolerances vs. Ruger American tolerances that you so boldly speak.

--Show us the RAR, Marlin, and Savage you own that have PROVEN (your words) to be less accurate than Tikkas

---How about those fully blue printed Tikka actions with match grade barrels

---How many match grade barrels do you see that are hammer forged? Please tell us some makers of hammer forged match grade barrels

---God I'm almost laughing too hard to type

I could go on, but won't. You have already proven yourself incompetent a multitude of times, on a multitude of levels, and incapable of backing up anything you say.

Have a good day, Princess........ laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=2muchgun]YES I have experience behind a Zeiss Terra.

Really, you'd think a f**king genious like you would know better.

So I know your not completely full of schit please post the pics of your 40-50 scope boxes and all this other schit you claim to possess.

I can sniff out a f**king fraud from a mile. Everyone on this forum including you know you'll never produce the pics.

I'll give you another assignment also you f**king worthless fraud.

Pull out from any post I have made and sticky for all to see anything I have said that you claim I've said.

Lying, f**king, fraud!

Shod

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Holy S- simple question about a scope here guys.

VA- I was looking not long ago at similar. Other than an in store look I have no experience on the Terra but size and feel wise it seemed very similar to the Meopro. I have been satisfied with Meoptas for years so I would likely buy over the Terra.

Was scoping a light rifle last time out so weight pushed me to the Leupold VX3 over the Meopta. Really svelte scope and I am thrilled with it. Eye relief is crazy good, eye box great, and it is even brighter than any of my slightly older fixed 6's. Next scope may be another Meopta- the adjustments are nice and tight and a bit more positive than the Leupold but either one works for me given the parameters needed.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow really? Now you are denying it when it all is there for all to clearly see in the Tikka vs. American thread? I'm a fraud? That's rich.

You are clearly a fu**ing mental case.

If I take pics of the boxes will you attempt validation of said claims? Oh wait, that's right, you are now denying what clearly exists in black and white.

Holy $hit, first you dodge every request of validation of said claims, now you completely deny making them. Yet they are there for all to see.

Wow....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow really? Now you are denying it when it all is there for all to clearly see in the Tikka vs. American thread? I'm a fraud? That's rich.

You are clearly a fu**ing mental case.

If take pics of the boxes will you attempt validation of said claims? Oh wait, that's right, you are now denying what clearly exists im black and white.

Wow....

I posted my opinions as a forum member and they are to be taking as such. Others such as 65 BR backed up many of my opinions with some of there "Opinions"

You however are the smartest f**king know it all of any of us!

You made a personal attack on me because we were of differing opinions and I basically called you chicken schit and a F**king Coward for trying to talk "Man to Man" while hiding behind a screen.

You're nothing but a chicken schit and a Coward!

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go back and read who made the first personal attack dumbf**ck.

You obviously haven't a firm grip on reality.

Talking out your a$$ and dodging are your strongest suits. Are you a butt ventriloquist?

I am now CERTAIN you are the biggest dumbf**k on this entire site. I needn't prove it. You have done it all on your own, Princess.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You're not exactly brilliant yourself as I have finally locked in on you're location.

Nice conversation,

Have a good one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[
Originally Posted by Shodd
You're not exactly brilliant yourself as I have finally locked in on you're location.

Nice conversation,

Have a good one.

Once again I'm shaking, with laughter laugh laugh laugh

God you're a dumba$$....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a pic to hopefully hasten your pursuit.

PLEASE FIND ME laugh

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,413
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.