Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukonal
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I've personally had out-of-spec 6.5 and .30 cals that had to be replaced.

My Brux's have been shooting 1/2 moa between 600 and 1,000 all year. I'm not worried about them.

My Brux 6.5mm barrel has been a very finicky barrel, would have a hard time recommending them.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here is one of Tumbleweeds posts from when he first started testing RL-33.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/retumbo-h50bmg-32-300-rum-120250/index3.html#post853917

If you search his post history you will see he has considerable experience with RL-33 in the 300 RUM. His long range targets are unreal.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Originally Posted by gzig5
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I've personally had out-of-spec 6.5 and .30 cals that had to be replaced. The Bartlien's have been shooting holes lately. Best barrels I've had up to this point.

Can you elaborate on "out of spec"? Interior or exterior dimensions?

Yes please.

Absolutely.

The barrels interior dimensions were measured and found to be a bit larger in the groove diameter than caliber.

Had a Heavy Palma 10 twist on my .300 WM that shot well for about 200 rounds then went all to hell. That's what was found and it was replaced with a Bartlien.

My Creedmoor barrel was the same and the same solution was applied. They shoot now. grin

During this time, he was building a .300 hunting rig and had already chambered the Brux that was on it. Before he gave it to me, he measured it and immediately took it off and chambered a Bartlien.

It shoots now too. smile

Last edited by rcamuglia; 10/16/14.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the reply on the Brux. Was Brux notified? What did they say?
I'm quite surprised, everyone lets a lemon out every now and then, but if true that is a disturbing trend and odd that your smith got a pile of bad ones. I shot Palma and LR with a lot of the guys from Kreiger and Brux and have never heard any complaints about the quality of the barrels. Long lead times, yes but not quality.

M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Honestly, this is the very first negative post I've read about Brux. Accurate Ordnance uses them exclusively and highly recommends them. Hopefully it'll be a good one but with a Brux they guarantee 3/8 moa and both Brux and AO stands behind their stuff so they'll make it right if something is wrong.

IC B2

M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I'm seriously considering after tons of reading running the 215 VLD vs the 230. First after looking at stuff over I can attain 3150fps in a 27" barrel with H1000 with 92.0 gr. I can hit 3050 with the 230gr but that's with RE33 still not convinced on how stable that is. It's 100 in the summer and -10 in the winter here. Tumbleweed was running a 32" barrel when he was shooting high velocities with a custom chamber. I think it'll be easier to get 3150 with the 215 rather than the other. Either way the 215 beats the 230gr in all catagories except for a slight loss in energy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My thoughts:A long range HAMMER is a 338 round with a bullet that has 720-BC doing 2750 fps It's all fun.

I like this bullet

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by marku
Specs are as follows.
300 RUM throated for 230gr Bergers
Remington M700 action
Fluted bolt from lamp field custom
Huber Concepts 2 stage 2lb trigger
Manners T4 carbon elite stock (finished in carbon fiber)
Brux 1-9.5" 27.5" barrel fluted AO varmit contour with APA little Jimmy brake
Badger M4 bottom metal with a single shot follower
HD recoil lug all finished in spider monkey green
Nightforce 40moa base and UL rings
SB 5-25 PM2

Patiently waiting on the barrel to get here lol.

Hoping with RL33 to hit 3050-3150 with 230gr Bergers

Just a couple observations from my experience, I have had such good luck with the Berger 210gr VLD you should try them before you get your heart set on the 230. If you really need more B.C. then you are better off going with a 338 cal.

Never tried a Brux barrel yet but if it were me Krieger or Bartlein would be my first choice.

Lastly why in the world would you "F" this thing up with a two stage trigger for long range (leave this to the AR crowd), put on a Jewell.

M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Huber calls it a 2 stage however its more like a set trigger. It's a really nice trigger

Last edited by marku; 10/17/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two pounds is an extremely heavy trigger to me. I don't want anything over twenty ounces for my hunting rifle and eight ounces for my varmint rifle.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I love 230 OTM's, wicked bullet.Perfect for the RUM size hull.

Also, Lapua has a 220gr Scenar-L now..

Last edited by rosco1; 10/17/14.
M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
In a huber the slack or set thru 1st stage is a pound. The trigger then breaks at 1 pound once it hits the wall

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honestly, this is the very first negative post I've read about Brux. Accurate Ordnance uses them exclusively and highly recommends them. Hopefully it'll be a good one but with a Brux they guarantee 3/8 moa and both Brux and AO stands behind their stuff so they'll make it right if something is wrong.

I hear ya.

The world record 600 yard benchrest group was shot with a Brux recently.

What I've "heard" is that there's been some changes at Brux. A different person is lapping the barrels which is supposedly a very important to the final dimensions.

I've never had a better shooting barrel than a Bartlien 5R. I still have a few rifles that have Brux's on them. They are on hunting rigs and aren't shooting as well as I'd wish, yet they are just hunting rigs. For as much as I'll shoot them, they'll suffice for fur.

Here's some 3 shot groups a buddy was shooting while fire forming some .260 rounds to AI with his new Bartlien. Pretty typical!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're a brave man.

Two groups, the shooter Just missed your fingers.

lol

Nice groups.

Texas
M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Are those liberal media bullets he's using for group size comparison? Lol

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In a huber the slack or set thru 1st stage is a pound. The trigger then breaks at 1 pound once it hits the wall

For a long range rig you want a trigger with no creep ( slack or set thru as you call it),in a two stage the first stage is creep.
I have never found this to be a good thing in a long range bolt gun.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up, just betting you tweak your list on your next build.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by boatanchor

For a long range rig you want a trigger with no creep ( slack or set thru as you call it),in a two stage the first stage is creep.
I have never found this to be a good thing in a long range bolt gun.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up, just betting you tweak your list on your next build.

I will challenge this assessment by stating that the majority of LR competitors, be it XTC high power or Palma tend to prefer a two stage trigger in my experience. When you are actually holding the rifle in position, it is a very different shot cycle than if you are shooting off a bench. Absolutely you want a trigger with no creep, but a proper two stage doesn't have any creep. In a proper one, you take up the first stage and then break the second stage at a much lower weight, with the knowledge that you were in the process. A sub one-pound trigger gives very little feedback once your finger is on it. Having shot competition for twenty years I strongly prefer a two stage trigger, unfortunately they are much more expensive than the single stage alternatives.

M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Exactly, I own Timneys and Jewell's. on a light trigger you have very little feedback. I already have the Huber installed and its amazing. You have consistant feel every time the trigger breaks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Did not look from the equipment list like the OP was building a Palma rifle. I have been playing the long range game for many years and never met a soul that used a 2-stage, but you and the OP can do as you wish.

out

M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Unless u tried a Huber its hard to explain how n there not like a AR trigger. The slack is 1 pound. You pull till it hits a definate hard wall. That allows the shooter to get a feel on the trigger, once it hits the wall apply 1 pound and it breaks like a Jewell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.