Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I strongly suspect the 24hourcampfire optics forum is why there aren't many soap operas on television anymore. Why bother watching TV drama when you can just come here? Though there aren't nearly as many half-naked women on the optics forum as on others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I always like it when I ask a direct question of one person, and another feels the need to reply.

The egos on here are amazing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should just buy a new scope smoke. It'll solve all your problems.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wanna buy a vx3 2.5x8?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8X would be close to the bottom end power range for any scoped rifle I own, but thanks.

It would be perfect on an AR.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, an EOTech red dot would be perfect on an AR. grin

And, by the way, I don't need to buy another scope, I have the 6 x 42 ready to go.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I humbly check my zero the day before I hunt with a shot or two.

Seems to me as usual that Leupold has its defenders and detractors, I seem to break all the usual variables without brand prejudice.

A good soap opera features emotional attachment and ego involvement in your personal choice which is a normal human reaction especially when your choice is "good enough" and for this show it's just "sport hunting". For a Lion hunt or a SD rifle who would put a Barska rifle scope or a Bushnell Trophy Red dot on their gun over a S&B 1.1-4 Shortdot or Aimpoint for a SD rifle? My next variable is the SWFA super chicken 3-9x42 just due to general experience and vibes. If I win the lottery I would get the NF 2.5x 10.

Last edited by jimmyp; 10/17/14.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, as far as J Burns and RC, I don't think it's an emotional attachment, they've just had good results with their scopes. I'm not questioning that, and I'm not questioning their credentials or experience. Sometimes it's good to get opinions from both sides of the argument though, especially from the guy who's seen multiple failures.

And BTW, I was just reading where K Bell used the Barska almost exclusively.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not everybody's definition of "failure" seems to be the same as evidenced throughout this thread.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now come on fellas. Do you guys really (serious question) think it is rational to equate when a guy spins a dial 200 times every weekend, to the average big game hunter who spins his dial about 50 times in his life?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I strongly suspect the 24hourcampfire optics forum is why there aren't many soap operas on television anymore. Why bother watching TV drama when you can just come here? Though there aren't nearly as many half-naked women on the optics forum as on others.

I think your're right smile

Maybe 2new99's or dave284 will show up and improve the view!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm hearing a cry for help.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn

I'm hearing a cry for help.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You've been peeking in the basement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Thank you.

You're welcome Rick...

[Linked Image]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Dang! My scope just fogged up.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by smokepole

Could you please elaborate on the FX3 6x42? I'm assuming your testing has shown repeatable tracking and zero retention (could you comment on that), but I'm curious as to what you mean by "mismatched reticles/turrets." By "mismatched turrets" do you mean the MOA adjustments are not accurate? I have an FX3 6x42 in the safe with an M1 turret that I'm planning to test for an upcoming hunt.

The background is this. I'm getting ready for a hunt next season that I need a lightweight rifle for, with a dependable scope for possibly long-ish shots that I'll need to dial for. It's a backpack sheep hunt in AK and I'll be paying a guide (not cheap), so it's not something I'll be doing again any time soon.

I have the rifle in-hand, a NULA .260 that shoots half MOA at 300 meters. I've tried two popular Leupold VX3 variables, a 2.5x8 and a 3.5X10, both with turrets. Neither tracks accurately as far as the MOA adjustments required as predicted by a couple of different ballistics programs. Which I could live with by making up my own range cards if they were repeatable and returned to zero but they're not and they don't. Last time I had the 2.5x8 out I zeroed it, shot it at different ranges out to 700, and it was 1 1/2 inches high when I returned to 100. The 3.5x10 seems to be tracking better (not done testing yet) but there's still the problem of the inaccurate MOA adjustments--if I change to a different altitude, my custom range card that works here will be out the window, and I won't be able to plug the new altitude into a program and get new drops.

For all of you Leupold guys, I am not interested in a pissing match and I understand that my scopes represent a sample of one. So this question is not directed to you.

So with that background could you please elaborate on the 6x42 as far as accuracy of adjustments and repeatability, and what the mismatched turrets/reticle will mean in practical terms?

Thanks.

The 6x42 Leupold has been the best "hunting" scope overall for zero retention and consistent adjustments. Fixed powers tend to be better in all regards within a scope line. The 6x42mm is great hunting scope,meaning that it's not built for abuse and constant use of the turrets. However, given that they are quite durable and usually adjust consistently but not always accurately- I.e. one click might not be .25MOA. I Can make do correcting click values as long as they're repeatable and the 6x has a LOT going for it in ease of use, but I find it to be annoying and useless when there are scopes offering MUCH more consistency and zero retention. In the world of hunting built scopes the 6x Leupolds are king, however lag far behind optics purpose built for absolute reliability.

For those reasons I am much more inclined to choose a 6x or 3-9x SWFA SS, NF Compact, etc.

By mismatched turrets and adjustments I mean that they adjust in MOA and there is no MOA based reticles available. You can get a mil installed base reticle installed but not .1 mil adjustments. Of course it is possible to use a scope with MOA turrets and a mil reticle, I had to do it for a long time because there was nothing else. It's stupid to do it now. It adds unneeded effort. Dudes be pissed when the experience how easy it is to read the hit or miss in the reticle and apply same.

As far as inaccurate adjustment goes, you can measure what the click value actually is and input that into several different ballistic calculators and it will correct it all for you....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I matched the Course Record at the Whittington Sporting Rifle Match with a Leupold Mark 4 LR ERT 8.5-25 TMR with MOA turrets and of course the TMR, which is a mRad based reticle.

The match is a one-shot-per-target match, so there is no chance to make a correction and fire another round at the same target.

First of all, if you are missing with elevation errors, you have some homework to do or you have ranged a target incorrectly.

In any case, a scope set up as such is no hinderance to anyone who has a clue. You fire a shot that you dialed in MOA and see the impact 1/2 mil below the target. You simply quickly use the same wind hold and hold 1/2 mil higher on the reticle for a follow up shot. No dialing or conversions necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Thank you.

You're welcome Rick...

[Linked Image]

More thanks.

Please continue forcing me to thank you laugh

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Background on myself, Military sniper ...

When I saw your pic of the rifle in question, I thought to myself, that's not a sniper's rifle, that's a hunter's rifle.

I like it, BTW.

I enjoy the hunt.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.