Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Grave diggers were once killed as heretics.

Doc....... you are arguing waaaay beneath your station with this guy.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You must think the other readers are as dumb as you..... they read my entire post, not the part you highlighted. THEY WOULD USE IT ON THEIR OWN PETS.

The point remains you really have no proof it cured anything and it's all anecdotal internet babble without a lot more evidence.

If you want to give your dogs a poison, and pretend it cures them, it's fine by me

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread is a prime example of the decline in the quality of conversation around this 'fire since it was first kindled. For a long time a man could relate his EXPERIENCES about most anything, and others could report different outcomes from the same experience.

It's funny you should say that, since you posted this exact same topic 10 years ago, and most people told you then it wouldn't work

#276281 - 04/03/04 09:47 PM

How To Treat Parvovirus in Dogs
curdog4570
Campfire 'Bwana

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/273618/site_id/1

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You log off the goddamm innanet, turn off Lou Dabbs, don't go plinking and get your butt to work taking care of the litter. Hopefully theyre weaned.

I have had 3 litters contract Parvo. All from friggin "looky-loos" handling my pups and visiting multiple litters bringing the virus to my litter. All my experiences were before the vaccines were widely available.

It's five to seven days of round the clock keeping pups swaddled in cloth, scrubbing diarrhea with bleach. Pedialyte and an eye dropper non-stop. All you can get the pups to hold.

My success rate was usually only 1-2 pups out of 8.

YMMV

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
you guys know there's a vaccine for this, right? wink

There wasn't at the time. I haven't bred dogs in the last several years so I don't keep up with stuff for them.

I was so riled up over our resident rabble rousers that I erred in this post.

Of course we had vaccines. I ordered the Seven Way from KV VET SUPPLY and it was shipped in via Next Day Air with dry ice. All the pregnant bitches got it prior to whelping and the pups at weaning.

We were told that pups "outgrow" the immunity every 2 to 3 weeks until they are 4 to 6 months old. Don't know if that's true, but my dogs WERE vaccinated.

I lived a long way from any neighbors and never hunted with anyone else, so I've never figured where the virus came from. There are a lot of similar stories which led to the idea that the virus can be carried in the wind.

I personally doubt that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snyper
You must think the other readers are as dumb as you..... they read my entire post, not the part you highlighted. THEY WOULD USE IT ON THEIR OWN PETS.

The point remains you really have no proof it cured anything and it's all anecdotal internet babble without a lot more evidence.

If you want to give your dogs a poison, and pretend it cures them, it's fine by me

Since when is bleach a "poison" ?

Don't answer that, please.

Just go away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Late to this thread but growing up on a farm, I know that lots of things work that you would not expect. Bleach on a wasp sting will stop the swelling and the pain and was always used by my mother for such. It is also good to put on chiggers when you get them. Personally, I trust old cattle and dog men more than Vets, unless you need an operation performed. The main problem with the ones not Vets, is they can't get the medical supplies that they want. I am not specifically knocking Vets but even MD's can't help you most times unless you tell them what you have. I could cure myself on most things if the drug store would sell me the medicine without a prescription. Now I think there is a place for both MD's and Vets but it should not be in small everyday things that most could do themselves if given a chance. If I have a sick dog that I think is Parvo, I will try Gene's cure, if I can remember it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bleach has always been a poison. A poison is anything that can cause harm to an organism and bleach, in large quantities, causes lots of harm. Here are some of the symptoms:

Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning may include:

Airways and lungs
Coughing (from the fumes)

Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
Burning, red eyes
Gagging sensation
Pain in the mouth
Pain in the throat
Possible burns on esophagus

Heart and blood vessels
Chest pain
Low blood pressure
Slow heartbeat
Shock

Nervous system
Delirium
Coma

Skin
Irritation of the exposed area
Burns
Blistering

Stomach and intestines
Stomach or abdominal pain
Vomiting

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"cause harm to an organism".

That's what needs to be done to the virus, ain't it? grin

Your point is taken, which is why I cautioned to make sure you are dealing with Parvo before trying the bleach remedy.

And......... don't most folks drink "bleach" everyday if they use "city water"?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
We use Clorox bleach in our dug well. Tastes and smells a little bleachy for a few days, but it sure kills any of the bugs from spring run off. Never killed me yet, or even made me ill.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Quick solution to your remedies.... "Try it on Yourself First"!

Geezus freakin crist!

Phil

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Putting a little bleach in chickens' drinking water is also an old remedy for various conditions they suffer from. While I've never done that myself, I do use it to periodically super-chlorinate their drinker, but only overnight when they don't have access to it, and I change it out to fresh water before I let them loose again in the morning.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A drop or two in a gallon of water.... will disinfect.

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Its a matter of concentration. The OP was for 2 Tb in 8 oz. That's some pretty strong stuff. To disinfect a well, city water, etc, a concentration of a tiny fraction of that is enough. For years, hikers have used 1 or 2 drops in a quart canteen. It would be a much more popular method if it didn't taste so nasty. I've used 1/4 cup (4 Tb) to kill the algae in a 50 gal stock tank.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Greyghost
A drop or two in a gallon of water.... will disinfect.

Phil
IIRC it takes 8 gtts (possibly 16).

Last edited by eyeball; 10/17/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Bleach has always been a poison. A poison is anything that can cause harm to an organism and bleach, in large quantities, causes lots of harm. Here are some of the symptoms:

Symptoms of sodium hypochlorite poisoning may include:

Airways and lungs
Coughing (from the fumes)

Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
Burning, red eyes
Gagging sensation
Pain in the mouth
Pain in the throat
Possible burns on esophagus

Heart and blood vessels
Chest pain
Low blood pressure
Slow heartbeat
Shock

Nervous system
Delirium
Coma

Skin
Irritation of the exposed area
Burns
Blistering

Stomach and intestines
Stomach or abdominal pain
Vomiting

Sounds like it may work in getting rid of Ebola in Afreaka.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Clorox website has instructions on how to properly purify water with clorox bleach.

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/disaster-preparedness-purifying-water/

A bottle of Clorox should be part of every good disaster preparedness kit.

I keep smaller bottles of clorox in my tornado BOB, fire BOB, riot BOB, national insurrection BOB, and especially the zombie apocalypse BOB.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've watched pups die from parvo, only had one survive - and I can't remember what treatment(s) we used with him. Like several others, if I had to deal with that disease again, I would be willing to give the bleach treatment a try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
you guys know there's a vaccine for this, right? wink

I've heard a rumor....but you know those damned vets Matt!

cain't be trusted, they'll sell you snake oil and bed yer women.

only reason they didn't become lawyers is cause they stayed in school too long chasing co'eds. And the universities declared them too smart to be lawyers. whistle grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Snyper
But we didn't have idiots with no manners who claimed a man hadn't seen what he saw, or do what he did.

You did it, you saw it , but you misinterpreted the results

The Vets both told you:

I've told two vets -NOT SMALL ANIMAL DOCTORS [there's a big difference] - and both said the same thing:

They would never recommend it

If they REALLY believed it would work, they'd tell the whole world.

You sir, are a liar. You misquoted the OP by leaving out those same vets said they would use the cure if it was their dog. Anyone with a functioning brain would easily understand why they would not professionally recommend it without reservation to their entire practice, though I'm sure there are patients with whom they would share it, with caveats.

Why are you always so rude, contrary, and mean-spirited? I pity anyone whose posts always display how much their life must suck. Learn to get along or move along.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.