Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
After not drawing any tags in Utah this year I decided to hunt antelope in Wyoming on left over tags. There were only a couple of units with tags available, all of which were listed as difficult access. I looked at 17, 22 and 23 and decided to go with 22 for a buck and a doe. I discovered that about half of the accessible public land was mule deer country and not antelope country.

On day two I decided to fill my doe tag. I was on top of a hill and had a doe in a basin below me on BLM land. I ranged her at 455 yards, dialed up my turret and held at the junction of her neck and shoulder to compensate for the cross wind I was feeling at the top of the hill. At the shot she just crumpled and the WACK! of a solid hit echoed back to me a second later. I dropped down off the hill to retrieve her and immediately noticed the lack of wind down lower. When I got to her I discovered that my bullet had hit exactly where I was aiming. Lesson learned on wind calls in broken terrain. I took the photo back up on top of the hill.
[Linked Image]

By day three I had covered literally every public area in the unit accessible by public road and had put on about 400 miles on the SUV. There were very few goats on public land and I had seen and passed up about a dozen bucks, most of which didn't even have prongs or much of a backward curve to their horns. Dinkathon! I didn't even see any impressive bucks on private land. The largest buck I saw was probably 14" with good prongs, a low to mid 70's buck.

I only had 4 days to hunt so I was getting a little antsy and debating whether I wanted to shoot a dink on day 4 to fill my tag. I had just glassed a herd of goats on private land and drove over the hill when I spotted a lone buck on the top of a high grassy hill. Not big but better than I had been seeing on public land and what do you know, he was right in the middle of a school section! (state land). I drove on past and parked the SUV out of sight of the buck and started my stalk. I walked as far as I dared up the hill then dropped down into a crawl. Through the grass I spotted the buck's horns as he fed along. I slithered over to put myself in front of his route and as he fed broadside I realized there was no way to shoot from prone. I rose up on my knees and shot him off hand at about 100 yards with my 13 lb rifle with arms tired from crawling. Fortunately I made a good shot, taking him through both shoulders. The Bighorn mountains made a beautiful backdrop for the photo. My rifle is in 7mm STW with a Hart barrel, Stiller Predator action, Jewell trigger and McMillan A5 stock. The scope is a Nikon Monarch 5-20x. I was shooting 168 gr JLK VLD's at 3200 fps. They performed nicely on both goats.

I don't think I will hunt that unit again but it was a fun experience. My GPS landowner card was invaluable.
[Linked Image]

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice story and a great hunt. I miss antelope hunting this year. I actually FORGOT to put in for a tag this year. I totally missed the deadline for cow elk and antelope all at the same time.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad it worked out for you on the hunt sambo3006!

Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Nice story and a great hunt. I miss antelope hunting this year. I actually FORGOT to put in for a tag this year. I totally missed the deadline for cow elk and antelope all at the same time.

Ouch!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very well done!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well done indeed! The part about the GPS card being invaluable is true. Amazing where you can go with a real idea of where you are and who owns it...

Golden............
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sambo,

Nice write-up, thanks for sharing. I haven't hunted antelope in many years and really miss it.

What GPS unit are you using and where did you get the landowner card?

thanks....Jeff

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Excellent. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to my first antelope hunt late in the season this year in unit 102. I have a buck and a few doe tags.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Excellent work Sam; I am really glad to hear you got er done!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by j_elky
sambo,

Nice write-up, thanks for sharing. I haven't hunted antelope in many years and really miss it.

What GPS unit are you using and where did you get the landowner card?

thanks....Jeff

I was using a couple of Garmin units that I switched the card back and forth to. An older one in the car and an Etrex 30 when I was on foot. The GPS card is the OnXMaps GPS chip. Lots of places sell them online for $100 or so. It tells management units, land boundaries and landowner names.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
65-43-22-5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah that chip is worth it's weight in gold out there for sure!

Working in conjunction with my Garmin Oregon 400T it showed me EXACTLY where the public land was, and precisely where I was. Truly incredible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job!! Congrats!

I'm curious what kind of band you're using for ear pro?

Cheers,

Eric

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats and well done. Magnum Man

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice... Thanks for sharing the story... Congratulations

I take a lickin', and SOMEHOW, Keep On Tickin'!!!! smile
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
efw,
Sounds like you had a fun trip yourself!

EricM,
I was just using a set of ear plugs that have the blue plastic band to keep them around your head. Not fancy but effective!

65-43-22-5
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice hunt and write-up. I had a similar experience in Unit 16 with access and the GPS chip saved the day for me too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Sambo. That'll do it! Congrats again on a good hunt!

Eric

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Congrats on a great effort!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.