Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
How much air gun do I need to kill coyotes at 40 yards or less?
I live in an urban neighborhood and the coyotes around here are getting bolder and bolder all the time. Cats are disappearing everywhere, including my favorite Tuxedo Tom, and they are running in a green belt right next to my house. A firearm is out of the question as there is an elementary school 200 yards away. Would like to stay under $500. If possible but I am really sick of these coyotes.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Do a quick search in youtube. There are several videos of coyotes taken with an air rifle. Most are 25cal PCP. You can probably get the rifle for $500 but scope and pump (or tank) will get you closer to $750.

IE
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Marauder_PCP_Air_Rifle_Synthetic_Stock/6067

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Buy a can for your 22.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A firearm is out of the question as there is an elementary school 200 yards away.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
we had a terrible problem in austin so city concil hired trapper, caught 7 yotes in 1st week near a buddy. maybe you can find a local hunter--trapper to assit. have to watch out for trapped pets cranky72

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As much as I like my .25 cal PCP, you can pretty much duplicate it's ballistics (31 grain pellet @ 800 fps)with a CCI .22 Long CB load....29 grain bullet @ 710 fps. The CCI .22 LR Quite load is a 40 grain bullet at 710 fps. If it's too dangerous to use those, then it is for the airgun also. Any of them will be head shot only if you want them DRT.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Walmart has the 25 PCP for under $500.00. There is a 22 sub-sonic with a 60gr. bullet that would have more energy if
considering sub-sonic rounds. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by carlm
A firearm is out of the question as there is an elementary school 200 yards away.

I believe that is due to sound. Not the projectile. A modern air gun is doing the same thing a 22 is.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ramrod340
Do a quick search in youtube. There are several videos of coyotes taken with an air rifle. Most are 25cal PCP. You can probably get the rifle for $500 but scope and pump (or tank) will get you closer to $750.

IE
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Marauder_PCP_Air_Rifle_Synthetic_Stock/6067

PCP guns are noisier than a 22LR and much louder than a CB Long.

[Linked Image from ]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just going by what the OP said. If he is weapon literate and I think he is, surely he entertained a firearm already. The issue could be noise, muzzle flash, ricochet, or whatever. Not sure about the .22 firearm to .25 airgun comparison...and I own both. Yes a modern airgun will do the same thing a .22 firearm will-in a very different way.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
How much air gun do I need to kill coyotes at 40 yards or less?
I live in an urban neighborhood and the coyotes around here are getting bolder and bolder all the time. Cats are disappearing everywhere, including my favorite Tuxedo Tom, and they are running in a green belt right next to my house. A firearm is out of the question as there is an elementary school 200 yards away. Would like to stay under $500. If possible but I am really sick of these coyotes.

Snares may be the answer for this situation. Hang in places they are crawling under fences or on trails through brush or high grass.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree with Travis that a can on on one of my .22's is the answer but I don't have access to a can that I know of. A buddy of mine brought over his German made 177 and when I shot it I was amazed that it made more noise than a subsonic .22. I have killed three using the subsonic, but that is when school was out and I had the advantage of using my office as a suppressor. Just opened the window a few inches and made a nice clean head shot at about 40 yards. Pop and dead. I think I will look on YouTube again and see what it takes to build a can.

Travis, is your machine shop up and working?

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Actually, you gave the answer - - a trapper. Maybe, you.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I agree with Travis that a can on on one of my .22's is the answer but I don't have access to a can that I know of. A buddy of mine brought over his German made 177 and when I shot it I was amazed that it made more noise than a subsonic .22. I have killed three using the subsonic, but that is when school was out and I had the advantage of using my office as a suppressor. Just opened the window a few inches and made a nice clean head shot at about 40 yards. Pop and dead. I think I will look on YouTube again and see what it takes to build a can.

Travis, is your machine shop up and working?

W. Bill

Just buy one.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 220 Conibear is much quieter and more deadly. Make sure you can set it where no kid could get into it and you would have to worry about someones dog getting in it too.

Setting snares on likely paths in/out of the greenbelt may be an option too, same precautions as above.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you could stretch your budget a tad, you could get into a big bore air rifle. Something like a 9mm.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
22 pumper. Benjamin if you can, a little light but aim well and they killed my cat so to hell with them,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ConradCA

IE

Some might be. Others most definitely are not. A .25 cal Marauder is so quiet, and so unlike the report of a firearm, that the impact of the pellet will draw the most attention.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by ConradCA

IE

Some might be. Others most definitely are not. A .25 cal Marauder is so quiet, and so unlike the report of a firearm, that the impact of the pellet will draw the most attention.

Very true about the Marauder especially if you modify it a bit with a shroud extension & give it the B-staley mod. which is very easy to do...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
502 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 41 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.