Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Those men who fought that conflict were some dedicated and tough individuals. Truly the greatest generation.

Indeed, but I dunno that there were ANY Sherman crews that went in in North Africa and then to Europe who were still alive in April of '45.

The death rate of WWII tankers was absolutely horrid. German tanks were far heavier armored and packed much more powerful main guns. German anti-tank guns and Panzerfaust were for killing RUSSIAN tanks which were also far better than ours. American tankers won battles by blood,balls and numbers.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last scene was a bit overdone, but at that time in the war it was more likely to have been a few SS officers and mostly conscripted soldiers with little to no training and even less desire to fight.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like it was worth the coin to see, unfortunately I was too sick to go see it. Will probably go next weekend and check it out.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by viking
As far as a tank movie, there was one a few years ago. The title had the word Beast in it. It was about Russians in Afghanistan.

The Beast.

My son is an armor-qualified officer. It's one of his favorite movies.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A bit of linguistic trivia. In one movie there was a shot of the control panel of a Russian tank with a button marked CTAPT. Doesn't mean anything unless you know that the English equivalent to the Cyrillic letters is START.

Sometimes a bit of linguistic literacy can be useful.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
... Panzerfaust were for killing RUSSIAN tanks ...

A few years ago, I read a memoir by a former battlefield recovery officer for a tank outfit. Immediately after the cessation of hostilities, he went looking for the biggest, baddest, heaviest armored Tiger tank he could find. He located one that had been shot in the ass by American shell fire, and he dug a panzerfaust out of his jeep. (He'd traded for it with some infantry guy.)

He judged the heaviest armor plate to be at the very front so he stood off and fired the panzerfaust face-on at the Tiger. Just for S&G.

He said it easily cut a hole all the way through would have burned out the interior if it hadn't already burned. Better than anything he'd ever seen or imagined before.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DesertSandman
Did you fellers know Brad Pitt bought a T-54 Russian tank in Hungary, and had it shipped to his&Angelina's estate in socal.

With all the military restoration buffs here in USA, he could have bought American made for what that cost him, me thinks.

He also had an indoor shooting range built for his wife.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I think they both carry, and I'm pretty sure that both could get carry permits for California and New York City if they don't have them already.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Did you fellers know Brad Pitt bought a T-54 Russian tank in Hungary, and had it shipped to his&Angelina's estate in socal.

With all the military restoration buffs here in USA, he could have bought American made for what that cost him, me thinks.

It's actually fairly cheap to buy an old Soviet tank in Europe - like $50 grand. I would imagine the transportation cost would be a bit spendy.

A quick Google search shows a T54 with non-operational gun for sale in California for $85 grand, and a couple Shermans located in the US for $310,000 and $495,000. Also a Sherman for $275,000 with free delivery anywhere in the lower 48.

If I had the dough, one of those would be a much more fun toy than any stupid Ferrari.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
That must above been a feeling of hopelessness when those 76 mm rounds from the Sherman's main gun would bounce off the Germans armor.

To bad it wasn't the AI version with TSX 's. Lol

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Those men who fought that conflict were some dedicated and tough individuals. Truly the greatest generation.

Indeed, but I dunno that there were ANY Sherman crews that went in in North Africa and then to Europe who were still alive in April of '45.

The death rate of WWII tankers was absolutely horrid. German tanks were far heavier armored and packed much more powerful main guns. German anti-tank guns and Panzerfaust were for killing RUSSIAN tanks which were also far better than ours. American tankers won battles by blood,balls and numbers.

diesel vs. gasoline...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

It's actually fairly cheap to buy an old Soviet tank in Europe - like $50 grand. I would imagine the transportation cost would be a bit spendy.

A quick Google search shows a T54 with non-operational gun for sale in California for $85 grand, and a couple Shermans located in the US for $310,000 and $495,000. Also a Sherman for $275,000 with free delivery anywhere in the lower 48.

If I had the dough, one of those would be a much more fun toy than any stupid Ferrari.

James Gardner had a lot fun on screen with his own personal Sherman in �Tank� 1984...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

yeah the russian stuff is cheap compared to the US cause everyone wants the US stuff....not that Pitt couldnt affors the American stuff....hell im fascinated by the German armor far more than the American....its his money what the hell, ild love to have a russian tank to just cause grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I think they both carry, and I'm pretty sure that both could get carry permits for California and New York City if they don't have them already.

I know I have read they are prepared if somebody comes into their house. Not sure if they carry concealed or not though.

I have read more than once they consider themselves (surprisingly) pro-gun.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Hard to tell from the clip but does Brad Pitt pick up an StG 44 somewhere?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's his main personal weapon, an STG44. He also carries a S&W 1917 in a tanker holster. At least I'm pretty sure it's a Smith, could be a Colt but I don't recall getting a good enough look at the cylinder latch or ejector rod to tell.

Of course, when he's using it there is some other stuff going on on-screen so your attention is generally directed elsewhere...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm going to see it tomorrow. I could give a fugg about the story. I just want to ID guns and tanks.

And hopefully that Laboufoon actor gets blown up.

Travis

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That's his main personal weapon, an STG44. He also carries a S&W 1917 in a tanker holster. At least I'm pretty sure it's a Smith, could be a Colt but I don't recall getting a good enough look at the cylinder latch or ejector rod to tell.

Of course, when he's using it there is some other stuff going on on-screen so your attention is generally directed elsewhere...

Yep, it's a Smith. I got a good look at the cylinder latch when it was on the table.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting grips as well.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good eye - it's definitely a Smith. Found this pic online - in the movie it was moving around so much it was hard to tell.

For those who haven't seen the flick, here he's giving their new recruit some basic lessons in handgun marksmanship...

[Linked Image]

Grips are interesting indeed. It's a picture of a nude model with clear plastic over it. From what I can see it's not a picture of Angelina Jolie. frown

[Linked Image]

The link brings up a large version of the pic to see it better - then you can click on that picture to enlarge it even further.

http://www.showfilmfirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DF-00226.jpg

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.