Print Thread
Hop To
V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
It is nearly impossible to put in into safety. And almost as hard to move it into fire.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
See that round shiny pin? Is it there or not all the way in? Tap it in if it is part way out.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/17/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
The pin is there and not quite flush with the bolt but just ever so slightly out. I just bought this 70 & it looks to me that the pin is slightly mushroomed like someone tried to tap it in before. I am thinking about taking the bolt apart. I just acquired this model 70 & don't know the history. Can that pin be replaced?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mine was when it disappeared.

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Did you send it back to Winchester?

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, took it to a Smith and he rummaged around and came up with one.

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I guess I,ll have to find one who can do it or maybe Winchester will, I don't know. Anyway thanks for the help.
On another note, If the burg you are referring to is Gettysburg, my grand daughter graduated from MT. Saint Marys, unbelievable history down there even if you are not a Civil War Buff.
Thanks Again

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pittsburgh.

We have some of our own. One of which is the boats for Lewis and Clark were built here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just remembered that once on another, the safety became stiff after hunting with it the year before in a good bit of rain. I let some oil migrate down into the groove the safety rotates in and worked it back and forth. Eventually it loosened up.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by battue
Just remembered that once on another, the safety became stiff after hunting with it the year before in a good bit of rain. I let some oil migrate down into the groove the safety rotates in and worked it back and forth. Eventually it loosened up.

For schits n giggles, the Boat washington crossed the Delaware on belonged to one of my ancestors

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Saw that Lewis & Clark thing on Discovery hard to believe what they did 200 years ago.
Thats when Men were Men & the Sheep were Afraid.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose

Those boys borderd on being immortals.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by battue

For schits n giggles, the Boat washington crossed the Delaware on belonged to one of my ancestors

If it hadn't of rained and the powder became wet or the French hadn't held the Indians in check, Washington would have been killed at Fort Necessity long before he came over to our side.

Another time he was sick and was at the end of a long line when the Indians hit Braddock in the middle. May have saved him a second time. Braddock wasn't as lucky.

Last edited by battue; 10/17/14.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I sent mine to Ahlman's and got it back within two weeks. Didn't cost much either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need to have the firing pin/safety lever adjusted; take it to someone who knows what he's doing.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1

Not a job for a "shade tree gunsmith".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an early post-64 do that; safety got harder and harder to engage or take off. I took it to an authorized Winchester repair shop in Fayetteville NC (long gone) and watched the smith do the repair. After disassembling the bolt he used a hardened file, took one swipe on the angled engagement surface near the right rear of the firing pin - worked smooth as silk after that - said a regular file wouldn't work due to the hardened surface on the pad and that it only took a small touch of the file to do the repair.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Looks like model70man has the right idea. I have worked on many rifles successfully, but it looks like this fix is just a little to complicated for a shoemaker.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"Redneck" on here is a good Mod70 smith. Look him up.

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks Dakota I have already sent him an email earlier today just waiting to hear back.
Thanks
Jerry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.