Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well I don't count preparing for the worst and hoping for the best as Panic

I just call that living with reality.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by toad
number of ebola deaths to date: less than 2,500

number of flu deaths on an average year: 23,607 (can be as high as 48,000+ on a bad year)

but feel free to panic
or you can just whistle past the graveyard, and hope for the best. smile

Sam......

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

number of flu deaths on an average year: 23,607 (can be as high as 48,000+ on a bad year)

but feel free to panic
or you can just whistle past the graveyard, and hope for the best. smile

The death rate for the dreaded Swine flue was .03%
The death rate for Ebola is 50%-90%

My whole family's had swine flu and we all lived. I doubt that would be the case if we all contracted Ebola.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
so what is worse? the 23,000 flu deaths or the 2500 ebola deaths?

what about malaria? There were an estimated 627,000 malaria deaths worldwide in 2012

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Gremlin1104
The University of Minnesota denies that its Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) has said Ebola can be transmitted through the air.

CIDRAP News had published a commentary raising that possibility on Sept. 17.

"Being at first skeptical that Ebola virus could be an aerosol-transmissible disease, we are now persuaded by a review of experimental and epidemiologic data that this might be an important feature of disease transmission, particularly in health-care settings," the authors wrote.

Some news sites such as Breitbart.com took that to mean CIDRAP officially endorsed the authors' position.

On Thursday, the university said CIDRAP does not make that claim. The authors, Lisa M. Brosseau and Rachael Jones, are from the University of Illinois at Chicago, not the University of Minnesota, the rebuttal stated.

Ebola experts such as Erica Ollmann Saphire at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla said the virus can't survive as dry microscopic particles wafting in the air or on surfaces, because dessication destroys the viral membrane.

It's also extremely unlikely that the virus could be transmitted through droplets from a nearby person sneezing. Tests in non-human primates have failed to find transmission through droplets, and such transmission has not been documented in people.

However, Ebola replicates with greater efficiency in the respiratory tract of pigs, Ollmann Saphire said. In the laboratory, monkeys housed in cages about 10 inches away from infected pigs have acquired Ebola through droplet transmission.

"So do not bring your infected pig on an airplane," Ollmann Saphire said. "Do not spend multiple days in face-to-face contact with an infected pig."

Interesting. Yet Senator Rand Paul (who also happens to be a medical doctor) is claiming that the CDC defines "direct contact" as being within three feet of an infected person, and further, that the CDC website "says being within three feet of an infected patient for a prolonged period of time without the proper gear is a 'low-risk exposure' for Ebola".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...incredibly-contagious.html#ixzz3GSDUL8fZ

So ... who do you believe? Maybe better to err on the side caution and "be safe than sorry."

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

but feel free to panic

Couple problems with your comparison.

Flu kills mostly old or really young people, it folks with already bad health.

And a very small percentage of people who get the flu die, but about half of everyone that gets Ebola bites the dust.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dassa

but feel free to panic

Couple problems with your comparison.

Flu kills mostly old or really young people, it folks with already bad health.

And a very small percentage of people who get the flu die, but about half of everyone that gets Ebola bites the dust.

the fact remains that flu is gonna kill more of us than ebola.

texting while driving is wayyy more likely to kill you and I than ebola.

I think people just WANT to panic

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Really? How ebola outbreaks have there been in the US, and what was the mortality rate?

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Really? How ebola outbreaks have there been in the US, and what was the mortality rate?

my point exactly.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thats not a point, just a factless statement.

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
again, for the slow:

ebola has been bouncing around Africa for a long time and hasn't killed everybody. do ya really think it's gonna slam the U.S if Africa can survive decades of it?

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup and I agree with all six. This is the virus that will really wipe out most of the US.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ebola has been bouncing around Africa for a long time and hasn't killed everybody. do ya really think it's gonna slam the U.S?

Its a 3 day walk to town in africa. Here you can land in 3 airports in a day. Wether or not it takes off is anybodys guess; but importing it is insanity.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...xtensions-From-Ebola-Countries-in-August

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My biggest concern is the pathetic lack of leadership from the current Administration. That pathetic lack of leadership seems to be universal to every issue facing the President and his inept crew, but in this instance the Administration's failings have the distinct possibility of getting Americans killed instead of non-Americans (e.g., Syrians, Iraqis, Ukrainians, West Africans, etc.).

That said, I'm concerned we are going to be facing a situation with the Ebola outbreak in which we're "fighting the last war." In military history, it is common to find examples of nations, even on both sides of a conflict, unprepared for the new war because they had structured their military and strategy to win a war fought the way the last one was. Technology sometimes advances very quickly and so can virus mutations. Doing at least a LITTLE MORE than is thought to be required to contain an outbreak is prudent. Doing the minimal thought to be required to contain an outbreak is foolish. I'm concerned that the current Administration is looking to the minimal end of the spectrum and Americans are going to die as a result.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
again, for the slow:

ebola has been bouncing around Africa for a long time and hasn't killed everybody. do ya really think it's gonna slam the U.S if Africa can survive decades of it?
[img]http://www.africaontheblog.com/wp-
content/uploads/2014/09/ebola-outbreaks.jpg[/img]

There is speculation that Ebola may be evolving and can be transferred through droplets, that means sneezes and coughs etc..
If that is true it may become as common as the flue?
I am a little slow, so what am I missing?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
again, for the slow:

[Linked Image]

Toad, I don't know what interest you have in putting out false information, but today CNN is reporting almost 4500 Ebola deaths. That's more than twice as many as what you wrote.

CNN reporting that Ebola outbreak is running much faster than response

The proper response to the current Ebola problem that has grown larger than it needed to have is to attack it aggressively now, but the Administration is still bumbling along and not doing the things needed to restore the public's confidence in the public health sector.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That map is obsolete. Even the cdc says a possibility of 1.4 million by january.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/qa-mmwr-estimating-future-cases.html

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This blind panic more than matches the irrationality of obama voters and their free phones.

We are truly overrun with stupid on this forum.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.