Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Originally Posted by KFWA
hard to imagine that kind of poverty in America now.

If people didn't get food stamp credit cards and had to stand in line at a soup kitchen, we'd look worse that the great depression right now.

I believe you may have a point there.

course we'd also have a lower ue number too.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by KFWA
hard to imagine that kind of poverty in America now.

I'll tell you something else hard to imagine now. When things got a little better, they managed to acquire a couple of milk cows. My dad and his brothers had to get up every morning, milk the cows, bottle the milk, AND deliver it to the neighbors on their milk route. BEFORE school.......... Imagine trying to get today's kids to do that.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
94's and 73 Winchesters, also some sort of pump 12 ga Winchester with a hammer on it, IIRC Paps said it was his Dad's WW-I scatter gun.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My dad was not a gunny or interested in hunting; he was an introverted reader as a kid and later became a college econ and history professor. He was the tail end of six kids in the Depression, and as they say, the family was so poor; so poor, they couldn't "pay attention," as a friend would say.

My earliest memories of my grand dad were of my junior high days when he already had a dementia and was in his early eighties. Though my dad's brothers-four of them-were a lively group I don't remember any being gunnies or having anything remarkable though they did hunt and shoot very informally. One brother, a plumber, and WWII African, German prisoner of war (a medic), was an occasional pheasant hunter and I remember on one outing when I was about twelve or so seeing him make as beautiful a double on pheasants as I've ever seen. I can see it to this day. It hinted at an expertise and past we could only imagine.

I'm quite sure grand dad's family had nothing more than the ubiquitous .22 and a 12gauge of some sort, typically of the hardware store variety.

I'm nostalgic for dose days as I believe the late 40's, 50's and 60's were this countries golden age.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My granddad had an old double hammer gun of unknown origin (to me.) I remember quail hunting with my dad and his brother back in the early 60s at the farm in Foyil OK and my uncle would tote that gun with both hammers cocked. My dad always thought that was unsafe. He hunted with a Stevens Mod 311 16 ga.

Granddad also had an old British Bulldog in .44 short which I now have in my safe. Here is a stock photo. History tells us that Gen Custer carried a British Bulldog at the battle of Little Big Horn.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I'm nostalgic for dose days as I believe the late 40's, 50's and 60's were this countries golden age.

Because the industrial capacity of the rest of the world's factories had been bombed to oblivion and we where the only nation who could still produce anything.

At the end of WWII we owned 80% of the worlds industrial capacity. Yes, that was a gold age for us, but not because we were so great, but because everyone else was suffering from the most tragic war in the history of the world.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
38 special that my Dad used in a job as a security guard. I remember my grandfather having hunting rifles, but I don't remember what they were. I do remember he had a double barrel shotgun.
The other gun I remember and have came after WWII, a mauser my Dad brought back from Germany, all puttied up where all the nazi insignia were dug out and I have the 30-06 he bought when he got back, since he had trained and carried that over there.

My parents told me lots of stories from the depression. Mom still going strong at 94. Certainly a different time and the skills needed to live well were very different. Everything was hard work, effort and will. Just going to school was unbelievably difficult. My mother getting up at 3 so she could ride into town on the milkman's wagon in the winter with only a blanket on her and a neighbor girl in single digit temperatures. Getting to school and helping the janitor stoke the coal burner.

But you do the youth of the country an injustice, my newphews and nieces and cousins all get up early to milk and feed cows and help out with whatever the can. Then clean up, grab breakfast and go to school. It's the examples that they have that matter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
During the Depression here's what granddad had:

Remington 1889 12 Bore double hammer gun.
Winchester 94 in .30-30
Winchester 1890 in .22 Short

You can assume quite a bit of the story just looking at the guns. The '94 got carried a bit, but not much. There were indentations on the grip area of the stock from being carried. Other than that, there were very little wear anywhere on the rifle, and the bore was near mint. I've killed several bear and boar with that rifle; it's my favorite in my collection.

The 1889 Remington seems to be a big food getter; it was well worn when I got her. Rib was a little loose, front bead had been missing for decades, the forend was extensively worn and battered away from the forend metal, all the checkering was worn smooth, and the fancy hard rubber butt plate was nearly smooth. Remarkably the action was only a smidge loose and she was still ready to hunt. I've taken turkey, squirrel, and duck with that gun.

The Winchester 1890 pump action .22 Short seems to have been THE gun for putting food on the table. The barrel was nearly a smoothbore, the stock was broken and repaired with bailing wire. The bolt and it's locking recess were not even a sloppy fit - the gun would only fire if you exert forward pressure on the forend to hold the bolt against the breech. Regardless, even in such shoddy condition, I've head shot'ed enough bunnies to be considered a Jihad.

Grandpa also had a S&W K frame in .32-20 but that was sold before I was born. The rest I have today.

Savage 99 .300

Browning O/U 12g

Browning 12g auto

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
was just thinking, probably a lot of black powder rifles still in use.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's true, but the US was kinda special

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My dad did most of the gunning in the depression. Grew up in Claysville, Pa. where there were no deer at the time, so the small game caught hell. He used a Savage Model 219 single shot 16 ga. Cylinder bored.
He acted like it was pretty routine to get a small pile of game, give some to friends who needed it worse and take the rest home. He also raised chickens and rabbits, so they went into the pot.His father was one of the lucky ones....had a job as an electrician through the great depression, but the family still had to 'take in boarders' to make ends meet.
I still have the gun....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
My granddad had an old double hammer gun of unknown origin (to me.) I remember quail hunting with my dad and his brother back in the early 60s at the farm in Foyil OK and my uncle would tote that gun with both hammers cocked. My dad always thought that was unsafe. He hunted with a Stevens Mod 311 16 ga.

This old Winchester shotgun I spoke of earlier is dangerous loaded or not, it has a 12/14" pig sticker on the end of it. shocked

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
My dad did most of the gunning in the depression. Grew up in Claysville, Pa. where there were no deer at the time, so the small game caught hell. He used a Savage Model 219 single shot 16 ga. Cylinder bored.
He acted like it was pretty routine to get a small pile of game, give some to friends who needed it worse and take the rest home. He also raised chickens and rabbits, so they went into the pot.His father was one of the lucky ones....had a job as an electrician through the great depression, but the family still had to 'take in boarders' to make ends meet.
I still have the gun....

I still have the old Remington # 1 rifle that the old man in town gave my grand dad. Appears to be a work of frontier gunsmithing. Looks like someone took an old slow twists, octogon muzzleloading rifle barrel, cut off and threaded the muze end and fitted it to the action. There are two filled dove tails that look to me to be where old wedge tennons were on the bottom flat forward of the forearm. The "extractor"started out life as Mebbe a 8x32 bolt. And run into the breechblock just below the chamber. A groove was cut in the bottom of the chamber to allow the then filed sharp bolt to grab the bottom of a fired case and extract it when the breech block is opened. I should post photo! Perhaps tomorrow!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/17/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My father was the owner of an Ithaca 12 sxs, a Stevens 410 pistol and an 1890 win 22 pump. Mother had an IJ 410 single shot. Her folks had a Stevens 22/410 24 and an 1897 win pump in 12 gauge and dad folks had a Stevens 22 auto. Boy I wish I knew what happened to the Stevens 410 pistol. Cousins got the 24 and 97. Mothers 410 was burnt up in a car wreck in the late 40's and dads shotgun I gave to a friend 20 years ago and the 1890 went under the wheels of a cornpicker in the 50's. Oldest sister has the Stevens auto

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Main rifle my dads family had was an old Monkey Wards bolt action clip fed 22, likely made by Springfield. Grandpa bought it for $11 new if I remember the story right. Lots of squirrels, rabbits as well as hogs and beef fell to that old rifle. My older brother managed to lose the clip in the 70s, really ticked me off that it had made it all that time to be lost by the third generation.
I still have the M94 Marlin 25-20 that they didn't use much, claimed it was too inaccurate. When I got it the bore resembled a sewer pipe and the front sight was half a penny. It's been relined and now carries a Williams 5-D receiver sight. Far from inaccurate now.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gramps has a pair of Ithaca 20 ga pistols, haven't seen em in years, IIRC they are double barrels, legal too. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Grandfather was a Gangster. He owned and operated breweries,speakeasys and gambling dens in the area. I know he had a Tommy Gun. He gave my Dad sporting shotguns and rifles that Grandma kept throwing away so he kept giving Dad the guns. Dad wised up and cached the guns and hunted after school

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Gramps has a pair of Ithaca 20 ga pistols, haven't seen em in years, IIRC they are double barrels, legal too. wink
funny how that stuff just disappears. A pair of Ithaca 20 ga's had a holster, hope you still have the leather

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL ET, glad ALL our ancestors "wised up" or we wouldn't be here. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by gunner500
funny how that stuff just disappears. A pair of Ithaca 20 ga's had a holster, hope you still have the leather

We buried Gramps in the Winter of 2012, one of his sons [my uncle] has those pistols, need to have him dig em out for a shoot, IIRC they say 'auto burglar' on 'em.

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.