Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
STS45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm looking at a nice stainless model 70 that was made at the NH plant. I couldn't find the year that it was made and the owner doesn't know if it is CRF or not. I'd like to get a stainless model 70 action with the standard trigger (no moa) and build it in 30-06 - and have it be my one gun. Just wondering when Winchester brought back the CRF? The serial number is:

G2092223

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Winchester brought them back in '92. Yours is a 7 digit which means it was probably made around 2,000

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Winchester made a run of push feed stainless model 70's in 91-92 I seen two one a 300 win mag and 30-06. Soon after they introduced the model 70 classics.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G209XXXX corresponds to a push feed 70 manufactured around 1993. The stainless push feed 70's were manufactured from 1992 -1994.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudstud
G209XXXX corresponds to a push feed 70 manufactured around 1993. The stainless push feed 70's were manufactured from 1992 -1994.

Thanks! I knew it was sometime around that time frame. Where do you get all this info? I know enough to get myself in trouble.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Winchester made a run of push feed stainless model 70's in 91-92 I seen two one a 300 win mag and 30-06. Soon after they introduced the model 70 classics.

Yes, but he wanted to know when they brought the CRF back..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mudstud

Until you find out it's a CRF. Then all that fine hypothesis flies out the window...and into the chitter..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I am pretty sure that it isn't a CRF! grin It isn't in the proper serial number range for a Classic.

But to get to the OP's question, of when the CRF was brought back. The Classic Featherweight was introduced in 1992, so you are partially correct. However, the Classic Super Grade was introduced in 1990. Furthermore, there were Custom Shop Classics available even before 1990. But, heck, I suppose this is all just "fine hypothesis"! grin Whatever.

S
STS45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the help guys. So it sounds like it probably isn't a CRF model 70. The gunshop selling it isn't sure, so I'll pass on it.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Why is it so hard to find out if this is a CRF classic or not? Does it have a big claw extractor or not? Winchester serial #'s are fu cked up after the 90's (classics vs. pushfeeds) and anybody trying to guess on that has a screw loose..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Winchester brought back the CRF into production in 1994,30 years after their 1964 fiasco.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
http://westernrifleman.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/the-winchester-model-70-classic/

From the article:

In 1992, U.S. Repeating Arms, the manufacturer of Winchester rifles and shotguns since 1981, set a plan in place for an entirely new production facility located near the original plant in New Haven, Connecticut. With the new facility, USRA replaced its old manufacturing equipment with modern machinery capable of producing with cost-efficiency the receivers and bolts for an improved version of the Pre-�64 action.

Although available on a limited basis in 1992, the official return of the Pre-�64 type action Model 70 was 1994. Dubbed the �Classic�, this action was a return to the things that made the Model 70 famous. Featuring a full-length claw extractor, receiver mounted ejector, coned breech and controlled round feeding (CRF), the Classic had the look, feel, and function of its revered forefather. It wasn�t an exact copy, however, and actually offered several improvements over the Pre-�64 action.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
http://westernrifleman.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/the-winchester-model-70-classic/

From the article:

In 1992, U.S. Repeating Arms, the manufacturer of Winchester rifles and shotguns since 1981, set a plan in place for an entirely new production facility located near the original plant in New Haven, Connecticut. With the new facility, USRA replaced its old manufacturing equipment with modern machinery capable of producing with cost-efficiency the receivers and bolts for an improved version of the Pre-�64 action.

Although available on a limited basis in 1992

Winchester brought back the CRF into production in 1994,30 years after their 1964 fiasco.

The article itself says they were brought back on a limited basis in 1992. That's when I first saw the classic model 70 return.

This is also according to wikepedia:

1992 to 2006 Model 70

"Starting in 1992, Winchester re-introduced many features of the pre-'64 rifles, while also continuing to manufacture less expensive variants. The Post-'92 Model 70 is an extensive rifle line that boasts nearly all of the features of the original line, but with some updated equipment, such as the Controlled Round Push Feed action and synthetic stocks. The popular Shadow variants feature black resin stocks, which reduce the price of the firearm significantly, and hold up better than wood stocks over time. Some of the modern rifles also use high performance McMillan or Bell and Carlson fiberglass stocks, though these rifles tend to be expensive. Particular models feature a one-piece aluminum pillar block bedding for greater accuracy, and some models have fluting of the barrel to reduce weight and vent the barrel for additional cooling. Carbon fiber barrels are also found on select models to reduce weight and dissipate heat faster. Walnut stocks are still found across the line in satin finishes, and laminated walnut stocks are added to the mix for structural stability in extreme dry or wet conditions. The Model 70 is offered in all of the previous chamberings as the original, and is now supplemented with newer rounds, including the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Winchester Super Short Magnum (WSSM) cartridges, which are magnum loaded rounds, but are shorter in length and wider in diameter, so spent cartridges take less time to eject and use less powder. However, these short magnum cartridges reduce magazine capacity and feeding reliability, due to their extra width and rebated rim.

Model 70 Classic

In 1992, Winchester began producing a controlled round feed Model 70 that was marketed as the "Classic" model. This version reintroduced the CRF feature, while retaining the "anti-bind" locking lug groove bolt guide of the 1968 push feed model. The use of modern CNC manufacturing techniques allowed Winchester to re-introduce the CRF feature at a competitive price.

Around this time, Browning, which is owned by the same parent company as USRAC, Giat Corp, of France, introduced the BOSS accuracy system. The term �BOSS� is an acronym for Ballistic Optimising Shooting System. The device attaches to the muzzle end of the barrel and allows the natural harmonics, commonly known as barrel whip, caused during the bullet�s passage down the bore, to be refined and controlled. By adjusting the device for optimum performance in the individual rifle, accuracy is brought to peak level. Winchester Model 70s equipped with the BOSS provide a significant improvement in accuracy for a production rifle. Currently, only Browning rifles are available with the BOSS.

Later, Winchester expanded the Classic line, putting the Classic action on all their modern stocks, giving a wide range of choice in rifle types. This basically lets the buyer choose an action, then choose a stock to one's liking. Both pre- and post-'64 versions of the Model 70 actions have their strengths and weaknesses.[8]

1992 Classic Model (Controlled Round Feed and Controlled Round Push Feed)

At the same time as the CRF feature was re-introduced, a recent innovation allowed the short extractor used on the post-'64 models to ride over the extraction groove on a cartridge, giving controlled feeding without the expense of the long Mauser type extractor. This was called Controlled Round Push Feed. This is achieved by the use of the post-'64 extractor, combined with the pre-'64 bolt face relieved at the bottom allowing the round to engage the bolt face from underneath."

This is also for the guys that don't know the difference in CRF vs pushfeed:

CRF:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Push feed:
[Linked Image]

The stainless steel pushfeed also came out in '92, but if you notice the classic FWT (CRF) was the rifle of the year (1992):
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Why is it so hard to find out if this is a CRF classic or not? Does it have a big claw extractor or not? Winchester serial #'s are fu cked up after the 90's (classics vs. pushfeeds) and anybody trying to guess on that has a screw loose..

Same thing I don't understand. I'm reading this and having a hard time understanding how the gun shop that has the rifle in its possession can't determine whether or not the rifle is a CRF.

I'd pass on it on that alone.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

From the article:

Although available on a limited basis in 1992

The article itself says they were brought back on a limited basis in 1992. That's when I first saw the classic model 70 return.

This is also according to wikepedia:

1992 to 2006 Model 70

"Starting in 1992, Winchester re-introduced many features of the pre-'64 rifles, while also continuing to manufacture less expensive variants. The Post-'92 Model 70 is an extensive rifle line that boasts nearly all of the features of the original line, but with some updated equipment, such as the Controlled Round Push Feed action and synthetic stocks. The popular Shadow variants feature black resin stocks, which reduce the price of the firearm significantly, and hold up better than wood stocks over time. Some of the modern rifles also use high performance McMillan or Bell and Carlson fiberglass stocks, though these rifles tend to be expensive. Particular models feature a one-piece aluminum pillar block bedding for greater accuracy, and some models have fluting of the barrel to reduce weight and vent the barrel for additional cooling. Carbon fiber barrels are also found on select models to reduce weight and dissipate heat faster. Walnut stocks are still found across the line in satin finishes, and laminated walnut stocks are added to the mix for structural stability in extreme dry or wet conditions. The Model 70 is offered in all of the previous chamberings as the original, and is now supplemented with newer rounds, including the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Winchester Super Short Magnum (WSSM) cartridges, which are magnum loaded rounds, but are shorter in length and wider in diameter, so spent cartridges take less time to eject and use less powder. However, these short magnum cartridges reduce magazine capacity and feeding reliability, due to their extra width and rebated rim.

Model 70 Classic

In 1992, Winchester began producing a controlled round feed Model 70 that was marketed as the "Classic" model. This version reintroduced the CRF feature, while retaining the "anti-bind" locking lug groove bolt guide of the 1968 push feed model. The use of modern CNC manufacturing techniques allowed Winchester to re-introduce the CRF feature at a competitive price.

Around this time, Browning, which is owned by the same parent company as USRAC, Giat Corp, of France, introduced the BOSS accuracy system. The term �BOSS� is an acronym for Ballistic Optimising Shooting System. The device attaches to the muzzle end of the barrel and allows the natural harmonics, commonly known as barrel whip, caused during the bullet�s passage down the bore, to be refined and controlled. By adjusting the device for optimum performance in the individual rifle, accuracy is brought to peak level. Winchester Model 70s equipped with the BOSS provide a significant improvement in accuracy for a production rifle. Currently, only Browning rifles are available with the BOSS.

Later, Winchester expanded the Classic line, putting the Classic action on all their modern stocks, giving a wide range of choice in rifle types. This basically lets the buyer choose an action, then choose a stock to one's liking. Both pre- and post-'64 versions of the Model 70 actions have their strengths and weaknesses.[8]

1992 Classic Model (Controlled Round Feed and Controlled Round Push Feed)

At the same time as the CRF feature was re-introduced, a recent innovation allowed the short extractor used on the post-'64 models to ride over the extraction groove on a cartridge, giving controlled feeding without the expense of the long Mauser type extractor. This was called Controlled Round Push Feed. This is achieved by the use of the post-'64 extractor, combined with the pre-'64 bolt face relieved at the bottom allowing the round to engage the bolt face from underneath."

This is also for the guys that don't know the difference in CRF vs pushfeed:

CRF:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Push feed:
[Linked Image]

The stainless steel pushfeed also came out in '92, but if you notice the classic FWT (CRF) was the rifle of the year (1992):
[Linked Image]
The "limited basis" is the Super Grade (1990) and the Featherweight(1992) the rest of Winchester's line up of M 70's was in 1994.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They were making classic sporters in '92 as well.. Where you getting your info from?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Got a burr under your saddle this morning, BS? Yeah, the serialization of Classics is kind of a mess, but once you understand the method to the madness, it is possible to date Classics quite closely. Obviously, you are not familiar with the system.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
They were making classic sporters in '92 as well.. Where you getting your info from?
Memory. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by STS45
Thanks for the help guys. So it sounds like it probably isn't a CRF model 70. The gunshop selling it isn't sure, so I'll pass on it.

The gunshop doesn't know if it's CRF?....

Are they even sure it's a Winchester

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by STS45
I'm looking at a nice stainless model 70 that was made at the NH plant. I couldn't find the year that it was made and the owner doesn't know if it is CRF or not. I'd like to get a stainless model 70 action with the standard trigger (no moa) and build it in 30-06 - and have it be my one gun. Just wondering when Winchester brought back the CRF? The serial number is:

G2092223

Why not just post the listing for everyone to see. That would have saved a lot of headache and guesswork from all parties posting: Me included:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=447184936

This thing has had the chit used out of it by some backwoods oakie from the stogie Chattanooga hoochie momma in the sticks..

The rifle you ask about is only worth $400.00 and that is after you throw the stock away and rip the cheap as hell mounts and rings and scope off the bastid. Looks like it's in need of a good scrubbing. Take a look at all the copper in the tube, they probably used the barrel as part of their backwoods still for making moonshine...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,152
Posts18,465,058
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.