Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9263789 10/17/14
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I need some help here please. I'm in possession of this rifle and am in the process of trading for it. I want to make sure that it's original and have a couple of questions. If you have to guess, please don't respond because I can guess too.
So, there is what looks like pitting on the bottom of the bolt handle knob and I'm guessing it's a casting flaw (poor picture). There is also what looks like over spray on the bolt where the handle meets the bolt. I can also see sanding marks from the stock into the plastic butt plate. Is this poor quality something to be expected on a 1960 rifle? These items and a couple minor dings are all I can see that I don't like. Here are some pictures a and I appreciate the help. .270 FW SN 502007. I have the owners manuals, but no box. Thanks for your help, Ken
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
URL=http://s578.photobucket.com/user/ken6949/media/2014-09-1811_47_32_zps9a2d1f59.jpeg.html][Linked Image][/URL]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
URL=http://s578.photobucket.com/user/ken6949/media/photo2_zpsf849d1bd.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL]
[img]http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/ken6949/m70_zps12647315.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/ken6949/win2_zps46efdf03.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss226/ken6949/M706_zps72e8bca4.jpg[/img]

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle Ken. I'd say if there is sanding marks in the stock near the plastic butt plate, the plate was replaced. It was very common that they cracked in half from age and recoil. The bolt handle was machined from a solid bar stock so it's not a casting flaw. The bolt handle was rusted, it was stored somewhere away from the rifle like some yahoo's did. It got rusted, they tried to cover it up with paint/cerakote. This was not like that from the factory. These are not guesses, just plain honest to goodness knowhow wink ... A rifle in this condition is still worth in excess of $1,200.00...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks Lawrence, I suspected as much dang it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ken, I know you've tinkered with cerakote and druakote. Does the bolt handle finish look like either of those products? The bolt handles were one of the first things that lost their bluing, some guys just polished them out and some guys touch them up before selling them, some guys even grind on them for scope clearance sick. My uncle did that to a primo 338 Alaskan and it makes me sick. He says he'll never sell it, so I guess he can do as he wishes to it. Here is a bolt from one of the last pre 64's manufactured (Nov. of 1963):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Obviously no overspray of any kind. I checked a few of my other pre 64's and they are the same way. I wish I had some better pics, but this gives you an idea of what color the bolt handle is supposed to be..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'll put up some good pictures tomorrow.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Late pre 64s often had a waxy type wood finish that was quite shiny. The photo of the buttplate causes me to strongly believe the wood on this rifle has been refinished as the finish appears flat...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The stock has been fitted to butt plate and refinished, the bolt body has been polished up and old scope and rings attached via new Weaver basis to give this package vintage looks. No better pictures are really needed. These pretty much tell the story.
The $1200 estimate is not realistic as for that amount one can buy new Classic Sporter quality bases, rings and a nice modern Leupold scope.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You guys have a lot better internet eyes than I do! 1200 is not unrealistic if Im willing to pay that much! I own 33 of the dog dam things so know a little about them....By all means post more and better photos ! very best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
The stock has been fitted to butt plate and refinished, the bolt body has been polished up and old scope and rings attached via new Weaver basis to give this package vintage looks. No better pictures are really needed. These pretty much tell the story.
The $1200 estimate is not realistic as for that amount one can buy new Classic Sporter quality bases, rings and a nice modern Leupold scope.

slavek, let me put this to you as simply as I can: You are a f ucking idiot. Your ideas of value are way out in left field. Once again you are comparing the chit FN BACO to a fine pre 64 model 70. My estimates are real world, take them as I've seen them and a little red book of winchester values thrown in. You have a right to your own opinion, but your views are delusional at best..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
You guys have a lot better internet eyes than I do! 1200 is not unrealistic if Im willing to pay that much! I own 33 of the dog dam things so know a little about them....By all means post more and better photos ! very best winpoor

Right on buddy. The 270 fwt is one of the more desirable ones to get as they are harder to find. I actually see nothing too wrong with the condition of this rifle. The composite butt plates were known for breaking and a lot of them have been replaced. Definitely not one of winchesters best ideas to use them. Some guys even inletted the newer stocks for the older aluminum butt plate. Some guys had reproduction pads installed and some just pull the stocks, sell them on ebay for 3-$400.00 and put that money towards a mcmillan. What you are left with at the end of the day is still a $1,200.00 rifle. Does that mean I'd sell my micky stocked 270 fwt for that price? HELL NO!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Slavek

slavek, let me put this to you as simply as I can: You are a f ucking idiot. Your ideas of value are way out in left field. Once again you are comparing the chit FN BACO to a fine pre 64 model 70. My estimates are real world, take them as I've seen them and a little red book of winchester values thrown in. You have a right to your own opinion, but your views are delusional at best..

BS. For not lot > he could get FN Browning 'Safari' long extractor in .270 or .30-06. I have seen them in fine shape no salt wood for about $1400. A much nicer rifle that does not require stupid recoil pad to shoot comfortably.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kend: It is my understanding that the buttplates were attached to pre-64 Model 70 stocks and THEN finish sanded to to fit nicely!
Your Rifle looks to have the original buttplate and finish on it to me!
I am judging this by the one good, clear, focused picture of the buttplate/stock.
In other words the buttplates were rendered to the size of the stock not the other way around - so used buttplates differ in dimensions slightly (due to the finish sanding I mentioned) as I have proven to myself over the years.
I will add this for your consideration - the Featherweights in caliber 270 Winchester in EXCELLENT condition are VERY, VERY hard to come across!
Reason: The reason for the minty Featherweights in 270 are so hard to find is because they were such wonderful, safe, successful and accurate Hunting Rifles that everyone that bought them Hunted with them - and Hunted hard and for a long time.
I have a BUNCH of Featherweights and the minty 270 was the hardest for me to find (I had two 358 Featherweights in my collection by the time I found a "collectable" 270 Featherweight).
My suggestion to you if this Rifle turns out to your satisfaction is BUY IT!
Your other pictures are so out of focus I won't comment on those aspects of the Rifle.
I am looking forward to you posting more picures.
Try that muzzle shot again - I can see every minute detail of dust on the white cloth below the Rifle in questions muzzle, as they are perfectly in focus but the muzzle is so far out of focus that I hope you try that shot again.
Best of luck to you on this Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Varmintguy is right. Most of the 270's got hunted hard and put away wet. Where the hell is Bobin at? It took me 3 years to find just the right one and I paid $1,350.00 for it. I knew the seller very well and he had it since it was new. He knew the history on it and I bought it without hesitation at that price. I think he finally tired of me pestering him to sell a 270 fwt to me. He offered me 4 out of his collection. At the time, I could have bought his NIB (made in '56) 270 fwt for $1,700.00. I should have done that, as it would have been a sound investment.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Maybe it's just to my eye, but from the looks of the bolt face and knob, floor plate and crown it appears as though that rifle has seen very little use....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The pic is far from the best, but there are no scrapes on that lug. Either it has been shot little or redone.

Either way, if it shoots and a .270 is your thing, then $1200. is a good starting point.

Originally Posted by kend
[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/19/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This ones been shot. Not a lot, but more than a little.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I passed on this trade so if anyone is interested I'll give you contact info. I have been real busy and haven't had time to really eyeball this rifle. The bolt is difficult to open and I tried everything I could to make it open easily. Lube, extracting a round, rounds in the magazine, follower down and I finally got to feeling that maybe something wasn't right about the trade. I put the bolt from my pre-war 06' in it and it cycled pretty nice. The butt plate looks like it was sanded in with 100 grit. Anyway, I wanted the rifle real bad, but just got a feeling that something wasn't quite right. I could very well be wrong, but instinct was telling me to back off. I believe the guy that has the rifle is honest. Thanks everyone. The rifle is in Medford OR.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good decision.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good to listen to your gut Ken. Most times it is right. Here's a good little read for some of you model 70 guys:

http://www.ogca.com/WRM_collecting_winchester_pre.htm

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

Right on buddy. The 270 fwt is one of the more desirable ones to get as they are harder to find. I actually see nothing too wrong with the condition of this rifle. The composite butt plates were known for breaking and a lot of them have been replaced. Definitely not one of winchesters best ideas to use them. Some guys even inletted the newer stocks for the older aluminum butt plate. Some guys had reproduction pads installed and some just pull the stocks, sell them on ebay for 3-$400.00 and put that money towards a mcmillan. What you are left with at the end of the day is still a $1,200.00 rifle. Does that mean I'd sell my micky stocked 270 fwt for that price? HELL NO!!!

I did not know you had Micky stocked 270 fwt? I'm surprised you never posted pics grin

Last edited by 79S; 10/19/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, I didn't want to show it off too much. More guys need to show off their model 70's...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He made the right decision. There are plenty of other choices out there like: FN Mausers, BSAs, old Parker Heales, Sakos, Brnos, Carl Gustaws, HVA, Shultz & Larsens,..... Lots of old classic rifles found in America.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
On the topic of prices, a nice pre-64 FWT 270 with the correct finish and aluminum butt plate sold in a local store last month for $799. For those willing to invest a little shoe leather, there are deals to be found.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a great deal on a hard to find rifle O45. The ones I ran across when I was looking were rode hard and put away wet. I had to pay a premium for the one I have, but definitely have no regrets with that rifle..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kend: this rifle is deeply flawed. Please send it here.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
About time you joined in on this conversation... grin

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.