Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
11 over is a proof load I do not care what anyone thinks the load manuals are only 4 to 8% lawyer proof 11 grns over is not a good choice. Basses on real ballistic testing, Clark take lots of pics of your face so your surgeon has reference when the reconstruction begins.

GB1

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not trying to sound smart here or anything, just a thought. What is the possibility that the batch of powder used with this load is burning weaker than it is supposed to? I have seen huge fluctuations in powder batches being put out by Somchem (South-African propellant manufacturer that exports powder to some of the major US powder manufacturers). I usually check batch numbers on containers and then buy a bunch of containers with the same batch number put out by the factory to get consistency with my loads.

Personally I have never gotten close to that much over max but maybe Clarkm got a real bad batch of powder that is not igniting as it should?

Pieter

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Or maybe Clark's not very smart.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IF you know how to hunt and can shoot reasonably well, 100 yards is a long shot. We all KNOW from the experts that Antelope are incredibly hard to get close to and unless you can hit dimes at 600 yards you might as well stay home. Most of these "experts" don't have 10 hanging on the wall, 8 shot under 200 yards. The latest (2014) was taken at 35 paces after a 3 hour stalk and wait. 1900 Mauser Werke Swede 6.5x55 converted to sniper, given to Danes in 44' to kill Krauts. Good old 160 gr Hornady RNSP at 2200 fps. Bang, flop. That's what some of us call hunting. "You a'int huntin, boy, less you can smell them."

Last year's was taken a 80 paces with a .452 Whitworth and iron sight. Maybe next year the .61 flinter will be given a chance.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Larry [bleep] Root. Just slithering through?

Okay now is the part where you call everybody bullies, punks and brag about how many screen names you have and how many people live inside your head.

Last edited by heavywalker; 11/04/14.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could hardly compete with a "man" with 10385 posts. (+-5.5/day) Although I can say with 100% confidence that, outside of the trolls dumb enough to have given up their identity, there isn't one of you with the balls to do anything besides be trolls.

Nope could hardly compete with some fool who thinks shooting big game at 700-1000 yards is a sporting pursuit.

"Vote out the incumbent" is typical of an idiot who would have traded Ronnie for Mondale or selected Carter over Ford.

Interesting you quote Churchill as you, no doubt would have supported that fool
Clement Attlee who deposed Churchill, gave away the empire and led to the almost complete destruction of England.

Amazing how many really dumb people love to quote the great men and women of history with at best a marginal understanding of the roles they played on the world stage. But that's why we have Buckwheat in the oval office and Robert Brown who thinks it's cool to look some a retard gangbanger and actually thinks there is a difference between a 7x57 and a 275 Rigby.

BTW, I am not "slithering through". Have been here all along and will continue to be whenever and wherever I chose. Interesting to note that all you could do was a weak attempt at slander ....... apparently not having the knowledge or experience to refute any of my points. Facts are really bothersome things for trolls who spend their lives plugged into the machines.

What ever became of dear old Nsaqam ? Christmas of 2013, and then poof !
A terrible loss to the site.

Like my 450/400 ? Shoots well too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by typeitout; 11/03/14.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Oh Larry, you go girl.

You are always more than impressed with yourself, and rest assured you are the only one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
typeitout,

If I found you on another forum here at the 'fire I would say welcome. But you come on the Long Range Hunting forum and try to belittle the hunters here. I will go out on a limb and say no one here cares that you sneek up on game. Some here are bow hunters and do that. Why don't you go to one of the other forums here at the 'fire?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What point is Larry trying to make? Is he trying to convince us how good he is at sneaking up on stuff?

We already know that from his years of sneaking around here on the Fire, with his world record number of handles and aliases.

Go sneak around somewhere else, Larry.

DF

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Lots of practice sneeking around looking in people's window is my guess

Last edited by fredIII; 11/04/14.
IC B3

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m77
Not trying to sound smart here or anything, just a thought. What is the possibility that the batch of powder used with this load is burning weaker than it is supposed to? I have seen huge fluctuations in powder batches being put out by Somchem (South-African propellant manufacturer that exports powder to some of the major US powder manufacturers). I usually check batch numbers on containers and then buy a bunch of containers with the same batch number put out by the factory to get consistency with my loads.

Personally I have never gotten close to that much over max but maybe Clarkm got a real bad batch of powder that is not igniting as it should?

Pieter

I bought that 8 pound jug of H4350 in 2008.
In 2011 I worked up from Hodgdon's load of 58 gr for 162 gr.
I found the threshold of long brass life to be at 67.5 gr with a Hornady SST in my Ruger #1 7mmRM.
[Linked Image]

I backed off 4% [not 6% like Vernon Speer in 1956 developing loads for a book with old powders without temp coating]
At 3100 fps I got this mule doe at 400 yards.

In 2012 I worked up a load with H4350 and 150 gr Nos Bal Tip bullets to 3250 fps in a 7mmRM I built with a Braz VZ24, lothar Walther barrel, and two dozen other parts.
[Linked Image]
I shot a number of deer and one antelope with the 150 in the VZ24.

In 2013 I built a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved Rimmed 1885 falling block rifle with a Uberti action, a Shilen barrel, and some other parts, some of which I designed.
[Linked Image]
I worked up loads with the H4350 and 115 gr Nos Bal Tip until the brass yield. I backed off 4%. I only got 3050 fps because the case heads of the Norma 7x57 rimmed brass I used were soft.

In 2013 I built another 7mmRM with an old Rem700 action, a Shilen barrel, and a lot of other parts. I worked up to 72 gr of H4350 and 140 gr Bal Tip and found the threshold of long brass life. I backed off to 70 gr.

[Linked Image]
I shot this buck at 477 yards with it in 2013.

Then in 2014 with a Browning 1885 7mmRM factory gun, I just loaded more 70 gr H4350 140 gr, got 3400 fps, and shot the buck antelope that is shown in the first page of this thread, and this mule buck on Thursday:
[Linked Image]

I got another 8 pound jug of H4350 in 2014, but there is still a pound left in the old 2008 jug. I will be interesting to see if there is any variation jug to jug.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry! I thought you were dead or in a home or something? Oh well...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Larry! I thought you were dead or in a home or something? Oh well...

laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fredIII
...Clark take lots of pics of your face so your surgeon has reference when the reconstruction begins.

Good advice and true. Before I had reconstuctive surgery to put my eyeballs back in their sockets, the surgeon asked me for a photo of what I used to look like before the whole eye socket system went wonky. I put a photo of Tom Cruise on my chest when they rolled me into the operating room.

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Clarkm;
Congratulations on your pronghorn sir, it's something I've always wanted to hunt and never got around to it somehow.

With the understanding that I don't possess pressure testing equipment and am not commenting on your specific loads, I must in all good conscience let you know that the Browning/Winchester actions are emphatically not unbreakable.

As evidence of that I'll offer these couple thousand words.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Anyway sir, the chap shooting that B78 did escape with minor abrasions and lacerations, but not all may be that lucky is all I'm saying.

Again my congratulations on your pronghorn and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Dwayne,
I have an M1885, that with Browning logic, came after the B78.

I have taken apart a Uberti 1885, made a drawing of the extractor relief cut, and re barrelled. It has a safety factor of a few times stronger than any brass that will fit.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Poor old Jorge, still hiding in God's waiting room. Having a ball shooting Gators down there ? What are you gonna do when the food stamps stop ?

As for hunting vs long range target shooting using live targets, it's the trademark of the person who selects technology over skills carried down to us over millions of years inspite of the genetic polution seen everywhere.

Actually killed this nice speed goat with a real long range rifle as if you failed with it you ended dead not just leaving another gut shot deer to be eaten alive by wolves.

It's actually been shot out to 500 yards and man paper targets inspite of being made by the idiots at Mauser Werke in 1900 and fitted with a ancient Junk scope (Schmidt and Bender), using 160 gr flat base round nose bullets at a mere 2200 fps.
Guess what ? 10 shots, 10 hits ! While trolls are valid targets at that range, big game deserves far better.

The Goat was shot @ 35 paces after a 3 hour stalk using terrain and 2' high sagebrush.

I like long range target shooting as well as anyone and own several that would no doubt allow me to brag about "the 700 yard" Elk as long as no gust of wind came along or he didn't take a step or two. We see the results of "long range hunters" both during the seasons as well as after the spring melt.

Here's the Goat .... talk about obsolete, why the rifle even has a two stage trigger !

[Linked Image]

As for "long range" bring your tack driver, your wallet, and we'll set up the 24" gong at 1000 yards across a couple of valleys up on the mesa. Don't forget your wind meter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Get off your ATVs and become hunters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who's got the over/under as to when your ass gets sh1tcanned, you worthless piece-of-dogshit?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As for bad mouthing 1885 Brownings, they are amazing rifles. My 25-06 Wyoming Centennial will push a 80 gr TTSX at 4000 fps (30" bbl) with lots of SuperPerformance. It will also shoot tiny little groups (5 in 5 minutes)

[Linked Image]

and end to end a mature buck Antelope at 230 yards.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your 4,000 feet per second loads remind me. I have a friend who loads for a 7 RUM using 120 bullets and gets 3,800 feet per second. You notice I didn't write reloads? That's because one shot and the brass will no longer hold a primer.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ringman,
I have got 3900 fps from my 257 Roberts Ackley improved 75 gr Vmax and the brass could not be used again. That was brass I had to form the shoulders on mad

And I have had loose primer pockets in Norma brass I turned the neck mad

But I have 100 pounds of generic 270 and 7mmRM brass. I am never going to reload that stuff anyway. I will be dead or in a nursing home in 20 years. 7mmRM 140 gr 3400 fps works great. Primers pockets are not loose until 2 gr higher. I don't think Willis's collet die is going to make belted brass pushed that hard fit in other chambers.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.