Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone ever contacted winchester over a rifle that just didn't shoot like it should?

I have tried multiple types of factory ammo and I'm lucky if I can get this thing to do better than 2" at 100 yards and some stuff was as bad as 4-5".

I was starting to question my ability but I shoot my 300 wsm and 30-06 sub moa regularly when I do my part.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I've ever done with them is order some SS hex head action screws and they were prompt and courteous about it?

What checks have you done as far as troubleshooting besides different brands of ammo?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I sent a WSSM back for a customer a while back that shot as you describe. They promptly sent us a list to have him choose a rifle from as a replacement. He's much happier with his 25-06 extreme weather. That's great customer service considering the WSSM was a New Haven gun and they don't make them anymore.
Another guy a couple years ago with a 325wsm featherweight that shot 3" groups received a new barrel and test targets.

Give them a call, I think they'll treat you right.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
All I've ever done with them is order some SS hex head action screws and they were prompt and courteous about it?

What checks have you done as far as troubleshooting besides different brands of ammo?

Mike

All I've really done is check the torque values on the action screws and verified that everything is good to go with the scope mounts.

Any suggestions beyond that?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike

All I've really done is check the torque values on the action screws and verified that everything is good to go with the scope mounts.

Any suggestions beyond that?

Not Just for Kimbers....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8495340/1

David

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
I sent a WSSM back for a customer a while back that shot as you describe. They promptly sent us a list to have him choose a rifle from as a replacement. He's much happier with his 25-06 extreme weather. That's great customer service considering the WSSM was a New Haven gun and they don't make them anymore.
Another guy a couple years ago with a 325wsm featherweight that shot 3" groups received a new barrel and test targets.

It's funny that you mention his replacement rifle was an extreme weather.

The rifle I am having trouble with is an extreme weather in 7mm-08.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
2" at 100yds is not really that bad for a factory rifle, in fact it's pretty darn good. I doubt there is much they would do for you on it.

Heck I paid over $3K for an FNA3G that was gaurenteed to shoot .5MOA, it even came with a nice target with a .2" group shot on it. This gun wouldn't shoot better than 6". I sent it in, they sent it back with another tiny little target basically saying it must be me. Still not better than 6" so I tracked down the guy at GAP that supposedly shot the target and signed it. Problem is he kept records and he never shot that rifle! After bringing that up to FN they agreed to replace the rifle. 18 months, yes 18 months!, later they finally sent my replacement rifle. And it shoots tiny little groups finally.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Has anyone ever contacted winchester over a rifle that just didn't shoot like it should?

I have tried multiple types of factory ammo and I'm lucky if I can get this thing to do better than 2" at 100 yards and some stuff was as bad as 4-5".

I was starting to question my ability but I shoot my 300 wsm and 30-06 sub moa regularly when I do my part.

This isn't the first FN BACO I've seen like this. Good luck.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

EW doesn't mean it's going to be accurate. My buddy had one chambered for 300 wsm and it averaged 3.5" with premium factory ammo. If I remember correctly, he tried the custom HSM, Barnes Vortex, Hornady custom, federal premium and some other $65.00+/box ammo I'd never buy. Nothing worked... Send it back. Let Winchester deal with it..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reelman
2" at 100yds is not really that bad for a factory rifle, in fact it's pretty darn good. I doubt there is much they would do for you on it.

Heck I paid over $3K for an FNA3G that was gaurenteed to shoot .5MOA, it even came with a nice target with a .2" group shot on it. This gun wouldn't shoot better than 6". I sent it in, they sent it back with another tiny little target basically saying it must be me. Still not better than 6" so I tracked down the guy at GAP that supposedly shot the target and signed it. Problem is he kept records and he never shot that rifle! After bringing that up to FN they agreed to replace the rifle. 18 months, yes 18 months!, later they finally sent my replacement rifle. And it shoots tiny little groups finally.

I have to respectfully disagree. Nearly every rifle I have ever owned shot moa or damn near with little to no tinkering.

I will be calling Winchester tomorrow with hopes that they will agree to make it right. I bought this rifle last December and think I've given it enough of a chance to prove itself.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They have a 1 moa 3 shot group guarantee if you shoot premium ammo. If it's shooting 3.5" average, I'd send it back..

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

EW doesn't mean it's going to be accurate. My buddy had one chambered for 300 wsm and it averaged 3.5" with premium factory ammo. If I remember correctly, he tried the custom HSM, Barnes Vortex, Hornady custom, federal premium and some other $65.00+/box ammo I'd never buy. Nothing worked... Send it back. Let Winchester deal with it..

Just because it's an EW doesn't mean it won't shoot either. I work at a Winchester service center and IME they take pretty good care of problem guns. I'm not sure why guys come down so hard on the FN guns, no they aren't pre64s but in my experience they are a damn sight better than the classics that everybody gets so giddy over these days. I've seen so many more SS classics with crap bbls right out the gate it isn't even funny, have one in the back of my truck I use as a jack handle. I took two 300wm classic takeoff barrels on a hunting trip one year to use as stakes to hold my cook tent down in the wind.

To the op, give them a call and a chance, I bet they'll make it right.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by reelman

I have never owned a "factory rifle" that I could not get to shoot under 2" at 100 yards...and I've owned quite a few.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Just because it's an EW doesn't mean it won't shoot either. I work at a Winchester service center and IME they take pretty good care of problem guns. I'm not sure why guys come down so hard on the FN guns, no they aren't pre64s but in my experience they are a damn sight better than the classics that everybody gets so giddy over these days. I've seen so many more SS classics with crap bbls right out the gate it isn't even funny, have one in the back of my truck I use as a jack handle. I took two 300wm classic takeoff barrels on a hunting trip one year to use as stakes to hold my cook tent down in the wind.

To the op, give them a call and a chance, I bet they'll make it right.

Its the trigger Kid. Plain and simple. There are just some things people won't forgive. sick

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's kind of forgivable. I actually really like mine as it's adjusted down to 2 3/8 pounds with the ernie the gunsmith spring in it. My rifle also has an EW tube on it. However, it did get it's azz handed to it the other day by both the classic stainless 7mm rem mag and the older pre 64 30-06 fwt. The unforgivable aspect to the new Winchester model 70 is the fact it is made in Portugal. That's despicable and far worse than the MOA trigger could ever be..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Maybe I missed reading it, but did you try a different scope just to confirm that it is the rifle?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's kind of forgivable. I actually really like mine as it's adjusted down to 2 3/8 pounds with the ernie the gunsmith spring in it. My rifle also has an EW tube on it. However, it did get it's azz handed to it the other day by both the classic stainless 7mm rem mag and the older pre 64 30-06 fwt. The unforgivable aspect to the new Winchester model 70 is the fact it is made in Portugal. That's despicable and far worse than the MOA trigger could ever be..

Once they slide down the slippey slope of changing the trigger...there is no end to the fall. Shameless. grin

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a M70 in .338 that must have been made in Africa by cannibals! The sumbeech wouldn't hit due east! frown

When I got finished with it.....it was excellent! grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, just had a less than pleasant call with winchester. The representative told me that their spec on the gun is only 1.5 moa and when I tried to tell him that the website said different he told me I was misunderstanding the text and that I must have been looking at the m.o.a. trigger system.

He then told me I could send it in on my own dime and that they would shoot it but if they don't see any problems they would just send it back.

Not happy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There is nothing wrong with something being put together in Portugal. Browning had stuff assembled there for years. FN also has assembly/manufacturing plant in SC USA where they started making machine guns in 1970s. The SC plant is still making small arms for the military. One might ask themselves what does South Carolina have on Portugal with exception of funny speaking Anglophiles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.