Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That's kind of forgivable. I actually really like mine as it's adjusted down to 2 3/8 pounds with the ernie the gunsmith spring in it. My rifle also has an EW tube on it. However, it did get it's azz handed to it the other day by both the classic stainless 7mm rem mag and the older pre 64 30-06 fwt. The unforgivable aspect to the new Winchester model 70 is the fact it is made in Portugal. That's despicable and far worse than the MOA trigger could ever be..

There is nothing wrong with something being put together in Portugal. Browning had stuff assembled there for years. FN also has assembly/manufacturing plant in SC USA where they started making machine guns in 1970s. The SC plant is still making small arms for the military. One might ask themselves what does South Carolina have on Portugal with exception of funny speaking Anglophiles.

I think some M70 purists don't know the difference between "made" and "assembled". whistle

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Well, just had a less than pleasant call with winchester. The representative told me that their spec on the gun is only 1.5 moa and when I tried to tell him that the website said different he told me I was misunderstanding the text and that I must have been looking at the m.o.a. trigger system.

He then told me I could send it in on my own dime and that they would shoot it but if they don't see any problems they would just send it back.

Not happy.

Give a call back and either talk to a different representative or if you get the same one, and the same story, then demand to speak to a supervisor. If that supervisor does not provide satisfaction go further up the food chain. Don't settle for an answer from just whoever answers the phone, also get their name, title, etc and document every call.

It may help if you explain that if they do not fix the issue then you will be posting it on one of the largest forums with literally thousands of members. That should make them re-think their attitude.

I an issue with a target scope a couple of years ago after 3 returns and it still not being fixed I asked for a new or different scope, they refused. I mentioned that I would be posting my issues with them on a benchrest forum and within a week I had a new scope in my hands.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just read my Winchester catalog and it says "you can 'expect' moa accuracy " but it stops short of a guarantee.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
I just read my Winchester catalog and it says "you can 'expect' moa accuracy " but it stops short of a guarantee.

Yea, i caught that too

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
p.s. - to my earlier reply.

A suggestion for when you talk to the rep at customer service, or preferably someone further up the ladder.

Let them know that if this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction then you will post your experience on your social media accounts. It really doesn't matter if you don't have one, or do not really intend to, they don't know that. What they do know is that social media has the power to reach millions of people and they know that one bad message can cost them many thousands of dollars, much more than the small amount it would cost to fix the issue.

"you can expect" is a tacit implication of a guarantee. They may try to wiggle on it but it is still a guarantee.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just picked up an all weather extreme. With the short magazine length, I can seat my bullets 240 thousands off the lands. Winchester said it was perfectly normal. Worst money I've ever spent on a rifle. Their costumer service isn't worth talking to.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just tried again but they close earlier than I expected. Hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow while they are open.

Originally Posted by TheKid
I sent a WSSM back for a customer a while back that shot as you describe. They promptly sent us a list to have him choose a rifle from as a replacement. He's much happier with his 25-06 extreme weather. That's great customer service considering the WSSM was a New Haven gun and they don't make them anymore.
Another guy a couple years ago with a 325wsm featherweight that shot 3" groups received a new barrel and test targets.

Give them a call, I think they'll treat you right.

It's funny that you mention his replacement rifle was an extreme weather.

The rifle I am having trouble with is an extreme weather in 7mm-08.

EW doesn't mean it's going to be accurate. My buddy had one chambered for 300 wsm and it averaged 3.5" with premium factory ammo. If I remember correctly, he tried the custom HSM, Barnes Vortex, Hornady custom, federal premium and some other $65.00+/box ammo I'd never buy. Nothing worked... Send it back. Let Winchester deal with it..

BSA,

What did your buddy end up doing with his extreme weather?
I sent a WSSM back for a customer a while back that shot as you describe. They promptly sent us a list to have him choose a rifle from as a replacement. He's much happier with his 25-06 extreme weather. That's great customer service considering the WSSM was a New Haven gun and they don't make them anymore.
Another guy a couple years ago with a 325wsm featherweight that shot 3" groups received a new barrel and test targets.

TheKid,

Am I out of line in believing that winchester should be proving me with a shipping label to return the gun?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just tried again but they close earlier than I expected. Hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow while they are open.

It's funny that you mention his replacement rifle was an extreme weather.

The rifle I am having trouble with is an extreme weather in 7mm-08.

EW doesn't mean it's going to be accurate. My buddy had one chambered for 300 wsm and it averaged 3.5" with premium factory ammo. If I remember correctly, he tried the custom HSM, Barnes Vortex, Hornady custom, federal premium and some other $65.00+/box ammo I'd never buy. Nothing worked... Send it back. Let Winchester deal with it..

BSA,

What did your buddy end up doing with his extreme weather?

TheKid,

Am I out of line in believing that winchester should be proving me with a shipping label to return the gun?

He put it in the back of the safe and started using his pre 64 model 70 308 fwt again. True story.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"Am I out of line in believing that winchester should be proving me with a shipping label to return the gun?"

NO.

You have an expectation that the rifle they produce should be reasonably accurate with reputable factory ammunition.

If it is not, let them prove that it is.

I'm not sure what the status of Remington since the sell out, but, Remington had a two year guarantee. It was pretty much no questions asked. You call in the serial number--they send you a label--that simple.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Just picked up an all weather extreme. With the short magazine length, I can seat my bullets 240 thousands off the lands. Winchester said it was perfectly normal. Worst money I've ever spent on a rifle. Their costumer service isn't worth talking to.
What chambering? Keep in mind that the S/A M70s are built for cartridges under 3" in OAL. Some of the rounds that fall into that range have SAAMI specs with long throats..

Weatherby rounds have long freebores and usually shoot very accurately. Just because you can't reach the lands doesn't mean that the rifle may not shoot very well. Quite frankly - the entire accuracy issue lies with the quality of the barrel itself - and most manufacturers have about $50-$75 invested in their barrels (with some exceptions) so you can pretty much figure it's a crap-shoot re: accuracy from rifles made by Rem/Win/Brown...etc.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I just got off the phone with winchester again with slightly better results.

I think I may have spoken to the same person (stupid me forgot to get a name) but I was much more assertive and finally got him to agree to send me a shipping label.

The representative I spoke to claims that spec on the gun is only 1 3/4" and states that what is listed on the website is "just what could happen if you get lucky".

He then went on to tell me that if they shoot one group that is 1 3/4" they will just box it up and send it back with the target as proof. This rather annoys me because I have been able to produce groups around that size, not consistently but I have done it. Either way I don't think this is an acceptable accuracy spec for a rifle that has an MSRP of nearly $1300.

"Get extreme accuracy under any conditions. The Model 70 Extreme Weather Stainless utilizes a Bell and Carlson� lay-up composite stock that provides a solid feel and features trim and lightweight ergonomics. It has a textured charcoal gray matte finish for rugged good looks and improved grip in adverse conditions."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What chambering?

300 win mag.

I have only tried barnes bullets so far, at different lengths, with 5 inch groups. I'll keep trying, maybe there's a bullet out there it likes.

The bolt is rough, and the brass comes out of the chamber scratched. A sako it ain't.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just figured I should update this thread a little bit.

I sent the gun back to winchester in November and received an email with a service number and a password so that I could check the status of the gun while in their possession.

I wasn't checking often figuring it would be a while before anything was done with it but last week I checked and it said they would be replacing my rifle.

I am surprised though that I have not at least received a call to inform me of this and maybe to tell me what was wrong with the original.

The status hasn't changed since last week but I'm not really in a rush, just glad to see they are making it right.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by snowboardguy; 12/03/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just figured I should update this thread a little bit.

I sent the gun back to winchester in November and received an email with a service number and a password so that I could check the status of the gun while in their possession.

I wasn't checking often figuring it would be a while before anything was done with it but last week I checked and it said they would be replacing my rifle.

I am surprised though that I have not at least received a call to inform me of this and maybe to tell me what was wrong with the original.

The status hasn't changed since last week but I'm not really in a rush, just glad to see they are making it right.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't expect to ever hear about "what" the problem was with the original.

Glad to see they are replacing your rifle. And thanks for updating the thread with your experience.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Good to know that they are standing by their product.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
1 more update to this. I finally received my replacement rifle and to my surprise when I opened the box the new one came with a black bell and carlson stock with gray webbing. I know this is only cosmetic but I do think it gives the rifle a little bit better look.

After checking the Winchester website it appears that this how they are being offered now.

Now if only this weather would break I could take it out and see how it shoots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice!!! That is actually a pretty good customer service story. Any pics of the new rifle?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a quick cell phone pic.

EW 7mm-08, Leupy VX3 2.5-8x36, Talley lows.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Post how it shoots when you get to it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.