Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Instead I'm at home after driving 200 miles because I have a not so smart hunt pard whose ex wife tries to call him in camp and doesn't leave a message, and his lazy daughter won't drive 30 miles to check on the problem.
So I miss a days hunting and get to drive another extra 200 miles back tomorrow
Everybody is going to be so sorry I'm sure, but that doesn't put the gas back in the tank or the day back in my life.
Sorry for the rant but its midnight and I need to yell at somebody

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You had to drive that far to punch his exwife in the crotch?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That pard would be driving himself to camp next year...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EX-WIFE? why even bother??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I turn my cell phone off when I'm at hunting camp.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I don't allow a cell phone in elk camp!!!!!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it was a real emergency they should call 911, otherwise it can wait until your hunt is over. You are a good friend for helping out. Make sure you find out exactly what is going on to warrant a 200 mile trip back. Be polite, but stick your nose in where it doesn't belong. Offer advice for all parties involved. If they act like it is none of your business remind them that they made it your business since you are a personal chauffeur for your friend. I would make sure your friend has transportation for the return trip.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our cell phones are way out of service long before we reach camp. That's one thing we get away from.... try it you can actually survive without a cell phone.

Be safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well why not make a call from the nearest land line? I would be dammed if I would drive 200 miles then 200miles back for BS!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Your partner should pay for all your gasoline for the trip to and from his "problem."

If he doesn't he isn't much of a friend.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
He had you drive him 200 miles over a missed call? WTF

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Co-dependent divorced couples are a pitiful thing. Or he's still 'whipped, and she toys with him for sport.

You are a good friend to do what you did for your pard, but remember the old saying,

Screw me once, shame on you.....screw me twice, shame on ME.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, that's messed up. I'd find a new partner w/o ex wife problems. Elk camp is sacred.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My sympathies and kudos for you doing what you thought was right.

That said, I'd be pretty pissed if my hunting pard didn't pay all the costs for dealing with his problem - gas both ways, eating expenses on the trip if any and maybe extra for the aggravation factor, wear and tear on the vehicle, etc.

My long time hunting partner is diabetic and has gone home with medical problems early in the hunt 3 times since 2004. Two other times he had medical issues, including hallucinations because his meds were temporarily out of whack, but stayed for the entire trip. (That year he should have gone to the hospital but he didn�t tell me about the hallucinations until afterwards.) In 2009 he stayed home because he thought he might be getting sick but wasn�t sure. Turned out he was right and he ended up very sick (I think diabetes related again). That year he decided not to come only after we had a serious talk about how he would be going to the nearest hospital rather than home if he was too ill to stay in camp, never mind the rest of us didn�t want to catch whatever he might have.

The first time he went home sick I lost a day, driving halfway home to meet his wife. The second time (badly sprained ankle) he stayed in camp and she came and got him. Last year may have been the final straw - he went home sick and my daughter and son-in-law cut their already short hunt a day shorter to take him.

Not knowing what the problem was it is hard to say what I would have done in similar circumstances. An ex-wife, though? Maybe take my buddy to the nearest town with rental cars.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This story has a strange ending,first off nothing was wrong at home.
My buddy was seriously injured in an accident a few years ago with some pretty bad brain trauma.
He gets confused at times, this time he got his incoming and outgoing phone record all screwed up. Nobody was trying to call him, he was looking at he calls he made and forgot about.
He's a hell of a nice guy and a good friend, so it's not a big thing. I'm gonna forget about.
I had about all the fun I could stand in the days I did hunt.
Thanks for the kind responses

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I couldn't hold that against him either.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would say: "Here are the keys, see you when you get back"

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by txhunter58
I would say: "Here are the keys, see you when you get back"

^^^ That. That said we've all done some for others what they couldn't do for themselves because of of who they were to us.

Hope you enjoyed your time in the hills!

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Tracks
This story has a strange ending,first off nothing was wrong at home.
My buddy was seriously injured in an accident a few years ago with some pretty bad brain trauma.
He gets confused at times, this time he got his incoming and outgoing phone record all screwed up. Nobody was trying to call him, he was looking at he calls he made and forgot about.
He's a hell of a nice guy and a good friend, so it's not a big thing. I'm gonna forget about.
I had about all the fun I could stand in the days I did hunt.
Thanks for the kind responses

He has a good friend in you. The rest is just life happening.
I took a guy, hunting elk with me one year. I didn't know the area real well, but I knew enough about him, that he needed to get out and see some country. Turns out he had diabetic keto acidosis in the field , and started puking his guts out. I brought him back to town right away to be checked out. I lost hunting time, but that turned out to be not what was important.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hate to say it, but you did what needed to be done and its only a day or two of hunting.

Hunting may seem like the most important thing to us, but I've found that a missed day here or there, or a missed hunt, may be more important than the hunt itself.

And it took a lot of years for me to get to the point of saying this.

Damn shame it had to fall that way, but good job for being the friend. Too many folks would be selfish.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Tracks you did the right thing helping out your friend is more important than a day of hunting. Next year do him another favor, pick up his cell and delete the Ex's number on the way to camp. He will never know the difference.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1337Fungi, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.