Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Bartlein number 3 in 280 Remington Ackley it is a little heavier than what I thought it would be I have settled on a load right around 2800fps accuracy is excellent I would like a little more volocity but my bbl is only 23 inches long thinking of ordering a barrel from Bartlein in like a number 2 or 2b try to get it as close to a standard Remington Sporter contour looks like a 25 inch 26 inch barrel. would you rebarrel or would you Flute the barrel from Kampfeld custom? to try and get a weight savings

Clos

NRA Life Member

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You'll gain 70 to 80 fps for the extra 3 inches of the 26" barrel. If that is worth the extra expense of the swap, new load development time without the rifle etc. then go for it. For me, I'd say not so much.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Fluting will not likely make you feel better about the weight, and adding barrel length will keep the weight up, granted you will get a little more velocity but at a price,not sure Bartlein will do a #2 in SS they will possible do a 2B in .284, I personally would not want my tube any longer than 24" on a 280AI, you could use a different barrel maker so you can drop down a contour size like a #2 or #3 Hart...so much give and take!

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I think I can live with the velocity but not so much the weight. as she sits now she is a couple ounces over 10 pounds

Clos

NRA Life Member

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That's heavy.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you thought about recontouring the existing barrel?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It get a Remington Sporter contour if that's what you want.

That rifle is a a good 2.5-3 pounds heavier than it needs to be. They'd have to flute the barrel to the point that there was only a hole to make it acceptable.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 338rcm

that is also a possibility

Hart barrels on their web site says they do recontouring of barrels

Clos

NRA Life Member

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is this the one in an H-S stock?

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clos
I have a Bartlein number 3 in 280 Remington Ackley it is a little heavier than what I thought it would be I have settled on a load right around 2800fps accuracy is excellent I would like a little more volocity but my bbl is only 23 inches long thinking of ordering a barrel from Bartlein in like a number 2 or 2b try to get it as close to a standard Remington Sporter contour looks like a 25 inch 26 inch barrel. would you rebarrel or would you Flute the barrel from Kampfeld custom? to try and get a weight savings

I had a 22" #3 Brux spiral fluted by Kampfeld, the fluting made a difference to me, enough of a difference that I don't want to sell or re-barrel it now.

Had him spiral flute two Brux #2's, they are much nicer to me and drop right in Ti take-offs.

I agree with Steelhead, it won't make a 10lb rifle feel like an 8lb rifle.

Dave

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 338rcm

that is also a possibility

Hart barrels on their web site says they do recontouring of barrels

If you recontour the barrel, you will also have to rework, or replace, the stock. When faced with the same issue that you have over my own 25" Krieger in .300 WM, I had Dixie Precision Rifles flute my barrel. It knocked off 15 oz. and had zero effect on accuracy.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman

yes it is.

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, I don't mind large amounts of float between the barrel and stock. Had Karl flute a Rem Mag contour and got rid of about 8 ounces. Course that got it down to about 7 pounds 8 ounces for our rig which made it kind of nice. Not sure what else you have on your build, but 10 pounds does seem heavy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

yes it is.

That's a place you could trim some weight by making a change.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bartlein's #3 is the same as most folks #4 & their #2B is the same as most folks #3. They will recontour your #3 to a #2B in 7mm because they did one for me, they charge $40 if I remember right. You'll have to recrown but they can do it already chambered. I agree with the others not to put a 26" on there, you'll just be adding the weight on there even with a skinnier barrel & it'll mess up the handling, 23" is plenty for a 280 AI. Fluting is mostly cosmetic, it'll take a little weight off but not enough to make a real difference, going down a contour will be a lot more noticeable. At 10# though you likely have other issues like too heavy stock & bottom metal, that's pretty heavy even with a Bartlein #3 contour.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
By the time your done trying to make a 10 lb rifle lite you will have essentially replaced most of the hardware.

I did exactly the same thing when I had a custom 280 AI built. I shortly after learned that I much prefer a lite rifle. I chose to leave the 280 AI as is rather than rebuild the entire rifle.

My solution to the problem was to buy a Tikka T3 lite and top it with a lite scope for my mountain rifle excursions. A Kimber Montana would also do rather nicely. In the end you'll end up with 2 nice rifles for what you would have spent on one.

I use my 10 lb 280 AI for a number of hunting situation, just not mountain excursions. In the end I have discovered my heavy 280 AI is indeed very useful for a some of my hunting situations. My barrel is 23" and in my opinion gives 99% of what the 280AI has to offer.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would replace the stock before i would mess with the barrel.......

sounds like you have a lot of extra weight in the rifle and not all of it is in the barrel

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Shodd
By the time your done trying to make a 10 lb rifle lite you will have essentially replaced most of the hardware.

I did exactly the same thing when I had a custom 280 AI built. I shortly after learned that I much prefer a lite rifle. I chose to leave the 280 AI as is rather than rebuild the entire rifle.

My solution to the problem was to buy a Tikka T3 lite and top it with a lite scope for my mountain rifle excursions. A Kimber Montana would also do rather nicely. In the end you'll end up with 2 nice rifles for what you would have spent on one.

I use my 10 lb 280 AI for a number of hunting situation, just not mountain excursions. In the end I have discovered my heavy 280 AI is indeed very useful for a some of my hunting situations. My barrel is 23" and in my opinion gives 99% of what the 280AI has to offer.

Shod

sounds like a good course of action

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I can live with the velocity but not so much the weight. as she sits now she is a couple ounces over 10 pounds

I would look at other components to find out where the excess weight is lurking.

A lighter stock, a lighter scope, aluminum rings floorplate or ADL mag box. You can save significant poundage there. I am more a fan of lightweight stocks, scopes and mounts than I am of skinny barrels.

If you can trim some weight in those other, less important areas, then you might consider throwing $100 at fluting the barrel to save a few ounces, but that is the last place I would look.

I also wouldn't worry about 50 fps one way or another. You are way ahead of the ballistic game choosing any of the high BC bullets available in 7mm.

At 800 yds, whether the bullet starts 50 fps faster or slower is mostly irrelevant.

It sounds like your rifle could be near perfect with a few minor changes. I have #3s that are much lighter than yours with nothing drastic.

It won't beat a Montana in the weight department so spend that $1200 carefully if you are going after a true lightweight.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Totally agree with TC. 60fps is way high for 23 to 26. Lucky to get 30. 60 is more appropriate going from 17 to 20. This is not straight line graph, but an uneven curve for drop-off.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 15 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.