Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Started shooting trap at my local club a few weeks ago and REALLY enjoy it. I've a number of shotguns, but none I really consider appropriate (or in some cases, comfortable) for trap. I've been using a 20ga Moss 500 and a 20ga Franchi 48AL with pretty good success (15-20/25 clays per round). I've been shooting once weekly, 2-4 rounds. I'm looking to step into a more appropriate trap gun. I would prefer to stick with a break action. Max price of $2-3K. My club only offers trap, but others nearby offer sporting clays and skeet to the public.

Some guns I've done some research on include Brownings BT-99 (adjustable comb) and Citori lines. Still up in the air regarding specific models. I do plan on having the stock fitted once I develop a more consistent mount.

Anyone with any input?

Brandon Gleason
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See if you can shoot some of the other guys guns there before you dive into a 2-3k rig. Its all about fit so something with an adjustable comb can be a good thing unless your constantly messing with it.

BT-99 is a really good place to start IMO

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Remington Model 3200 Trap grade, that I bought in the early '70's, and have shot many tens of thousands of rounds of trap with it. This gun has brought home many a league trophy and a fair amount of prize money along the way. It is still tight as a vault, and when the time comes to shoot a round of trap, this one comes out of the gun case every time.
If you can ever find one used and in good condition, I would snap it up, for sure.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Passport: going to try and get a few to my shoulder weds night when I go to shoot. Most of the guys are very helpful there, many allowing others to shoot their guns. Definitely should get a chance to at least shoulder a BT99 and a variety of Browining and Beretta O/U's. I am strongly leaning towards the BT99, as Ive been seeing used ones in the sub-$1000 range online. That'd allow for a lot of spare cash for a fitting, stock adjustments, and quite a bit of shotshells.

Bighorn: just did a bit of reading on the 3200's. They seem to have quite the following and sell pretty reasonably. Do you find any issue with visual distortion once the barrels heat up without a mid vent rib?

Brandon Gleason
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The O/U barrel setup on the 3200 allows each barrel to expand, or contract, independently of the other. Never had a problem with any visual distortion.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most clubs are full of guys with good intentions, they will all tell you something different but they all mean well.

If I was set on a brake action and it was my 1st go I would grab a BT-99 and shoot it. unless you buy new its doubtful you will take much of a beating if you just don't like the gun and need/want to turn out of it.

No matter what you have go shoot, that is the best advice I can give ya. Hard to beat trigger time.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, Bighorn. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one. Planning to go peruse my local gun shops later this week to see what the used racks have to offer...

Brandon Gleason
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Checkout North Atlantic Sportsmen. He usually has a host of quality used trap guns.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tuesdays Wooster Mountain (Pahquioque) Shoots Trap cheap and fairly close to you. A handful of good shooters there.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks! Only been to North Atlantic once and was just scouring for primer and powder. I'll have to give them another look for trap guns this week.

Brandon Gleason
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The BT-99 is an excellent trap gun. Some complain that they shoot too flat. I never had any problems with that and thus far am not "floating" the bird high above my rib.

Fit is important and adjustable parts can be expensive. When you settle on a gun try modifications achieved cheaply before investing heavily. I played with Mole Skin (i think thats was the name) from CVS on my comb. Also, I added length of pull using both home made (oak) and purchased shims. The tapered ones helped me with cheek slap.

Before settling on my current trap gun I also shot a Browning Citori quite a bit and a Beretta 391. Won many events with the 391. Great gun if you decide to look at autos. One of the best shooters in my state shoots a plain jane 391. He was state team captain in 2013.

Good luck in your search. Best advise I can give is watch others shoot, don't be afraid to try new approaches, have confidedence in yourself and your equipment and shoot often.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, Ring. One of my go to local shops has a BT99, LNIB for $1000 out the door. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The gun does not have an adjustable comb, but I think I'll try your approach with the less expensive mods for fit at first.

Brandon Gleason
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Anyone have any experience with the H&R 1871 Trap Gun?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just a quick update. Was able to raise my budget a bit and adopted a Browning Citori XT trap 32" today. Ended up walking out with the new gun, hard case, and Browning hat for $2500 even. Will be shooting it for the first time wednesday night. I'll update again after I shoot it a bit.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool, congrats!! First, post a pic. Second let us know how it shoots.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Ya done good! I doubt you'll ever regret that decision.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by FFemtRN5287
Just a quick update. Was able to raise my budget a bit and adopted a Browning Citori XT trap 32" today. Ended up walking out with the new gun, hard case, and Browning hat for $2500 even. Will be shooting it for the first time wednesday night. I'll update again after I shoot it a bit.

You bought more shotgun than we expected....good for you. Enjoy it.

Doc

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I vote for a Beretta auto. I shot one for many years, and beat the pants off of guys that spent 5-10 times as much on their expensive Kriegoffs, Perazzis, Ljutics, etc. Plus if sporting clays is on your list of to dos, you have to have a gun that goes bang twice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
615 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.