Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
M4E4 Sherman with the 76mm High Velocity cannon.

What was the twist rate???

!

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Originally Posted by Seafire
coming out real soon is the one about the LT with the Polish last name that was an Olympic medalist.. and was shot down in a B24 over the Pacific and made a POW in Japan..."Unbroken"

Louis Zamperini was of Italian descent.

Looking forward to seeing both movies. "Unbroken" was a heck of a read.

Yeah, I know that, don't know why I said he was Polish....
Mental Flatus I guess...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Is over penetration a concern with the high velocity rounds in a 76mm? I think I'd rather have all the energy expended inside the panther.

If they duct tape the end of the muzzle to keep rain out, it will blow up when they fire. Just sayin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That gun really didn't do very well against Panthers. Many many more Pzkw Mk IV's around to deal with.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Worth the price of admission just to see the inside operation of a Sherman tank in combat, and ESPECIALLY worth the price of admission to see what happens when Shermans and Tiger collide. One of the more gripping combat scenes I've seen in awhile.

A nice touch too the crew having appropriated a Sturmgewehr 44 or two along the way. This is one of those movies worth buying just to see the equipment and details.

This especially. Even though you know - given where you are in the movie how that scene has to end up - I found myself holding my breath.

Was a lot of fun having my son elbow me and go - he has a Sturmgewehr 44 - cool!

Me

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This especially. Even though you know - given where you are in the movie how that scene has to end up - I found myself holding my breath.

Ya, and a pretty awesome demonstration too earlier in the movie on just how well massed infantry can contrive to stay in the shadow of a supporting tank when advancing under fire across an open field.

Went to see it with my BIL, and before seeing the movie he was unaware how shaped charges in shells and panzerfausts worked against armor plate.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Come to think of it, this might THE only movie focusing on armor in combat. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Strangely enough, we might actually owe a debt of some gratitude to Brad Pitt, who reportedly made this movie happen.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't think of another movie that focused on what it's like to be armor in combat. I'm sure there must have been some out there in the haydays of WWII flicks. Many movies HAVE armor in combat but none do what Fury did and put you in the tank - that I can think of.

Me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm intrigued. Now I wanna see it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's worth the money.

Was also very impressed with how they showed the ricochets and the reality of marksmanship.

Me

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by teal
Worth the price of admission just to see the inside operation of a Sherman tank in combat, and ESPECIALLY worth the price of admission to see what happens when Shermans and Tiger collide. One of the more gripping combat scenes I've seen in awhile.

A nice touch too the crew having appropriated a Sturmgewehr 44 or two along the way. This is one of those movies worth buying just to see the equipment and details.

Was a lot of fun having my son elbow me and go - he has a Sturmgewehr 44 - cool!

Funny! Found a pile of Stg44 parts in a box in back of shop other day. No receiver tho!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's worth the money.

Was also very impressed with how they showed the ricochets and the reality of marksmanship.

Interesting too how some of the commerical reviewers out there belittle the movie for its depiction of the SS in the last days of the war hanging German civilians and whatnot, claiming gross exaggeration. Heck, there were Polezei and SS fanatics doing EXACTLY that, to German soldiers and civilians alike.

OTOH, it was very fortunate for the fictional tank crew of "Fury" that the very last Jerries they run into in the movie were apparently from a little-known SS "Retard" division grin

A pity, since the earlier combats were so well done.

I'm sorta reminded of the mess they made of the movie "Lone Survivor".

IMHO both "Blackhawk Down" and "Saving Private Ryan" have set the standard for realistic depiction of combat thus far, or so says I who has never actually SEEN combat....

I will say though that the unexpected act of mercy at the end of Fury was a nice touch cool

Birdwatcher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

OTOH, it was very fortunate for the fictional tank crew of "Fury" that the very last Jerries they run into in the movie were apparently from a little-known SS "Retard" division grin

A pity, since the earlier combats were so well done.

That was really my only complaint about the whole movie.

I could nit pick the Germans' choice of defensive positions in the AT gun ambush where the tanks attack across the open field but that would be a small nit.

But the final battle was for plot only. A single stalled tank, buttoned up, no infantry support, both cover and concealment in close proximity and apparently nightfall was about 5 minutes away - that's as blind as a tank can be.

I would have detailed two squads to destroy it, maybe only one. Either wait for full darkness or just lob a few mortar rounds of smoke around the tank to hide your movement, flank it, put a couple of panzerfausts in the side then continue to march. The way they attacked it was...well, I hate spoilers so I won't say. wink

But overall the depiction of the men was good - their complete immersion in cold hearted, mechanical killing.

It's definitely worth the price of admission, I'm thinking of going back on "cheap Tuesday" night to see it again.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was telling the wife on the way home.... that was the attitudes that this nation needs, to effectively deal with these ISIS clowns and Islamic Radicals in modern times.....who are no where even close to the toughness of Nazi Troops...

and quit this policy of not wanting to upset Liberals and other candyassses from around the First World Nations...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you fellers know Brad Pitt bought a T-54 Russian tank in Hungary, and had it shipped to his&Angelina's estate in socal.

With all the military restoration buffs here in USA, he could have bought American made for what that cost him, me thinks.

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Brad Pitt don't need two stinking threads...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just got back, great flick IMO.
Those men who fought that conflict were some dedicated and tough individuals. Truly the greatest generation.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I haven't been to see a movie at the theater in some time. I reckon I'll have to go and see this one.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Those men who fought that conflict were some dedicated and tough individuals. Truly the greatest generation.

Indeed, but I dunno that there were ANY Sherman crews that went in in North Africa and then to Europe who were still alive in April of '45.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
As far as a tank movie, there was one a few years ago. The title had the word Beast in it. It was about Russians in Afghanistan.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.