Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
starsky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
First off I wanna thank my good buddy Tanner for all his help on this hunt.

Now then, I'm not much of a story teller, but I'll try to hack this out as best I can.

Headed out from college in Lincoln, Nebraska Friday morning with my sister and got home in Denver in time for dinner. After grabbing my gear and loading my truck up, I left my sis and headed into the hills. Rolled into Tanner's house after another couple hours driving and discussed strategy with him and his dad. Figured out a game plan for the morning, loaded up our packs, and managed to catch a couple hours of sleep.

Woke up at 3am the next morning, ate a quick breakfast, slammed some coffee, and hopped back in the truck. We got to the trail head at 5am, strapped on our packs, and started hiking.

We got up to our planned gear drop spot a little quicker than we anticipated, thanks in large part to me pushing Tanner up the hill. After dropping most of our camp equipment we began slowly working up a drainage. Glassing the entire way with the wind in our face made for favorable stalking conditions. Tanner spotted deer on the ridgeline almost immediately, but they turned out to be does. We continued working our way up the drainage and a couple coyotes managed to catch our wind and that apparently pissed them off pretty good because they wouldn't stop barking/howling at us for the next 30 minutes.

I passed on a smaller buck trotting across a meadow above us and spotted a group of about 8 does at the head of the drainage. We picked up some more elevation in hopes of glassing across to the other side of the drainage, but that plan was interrupted when Tanner spotted 3 bucks below where the does had just been. The group consisted of a decent basket racked buck, a real small buck, and what we thought was a pretty good sized deer. A quick glance through the Zeiss spotter confirmed this was a deer that we would go for.

Dropping back 50 yards to get a ridge between us and the deer allowed us to pick up some more elevation and get a group of pine trees between us and the deer's line of sight. We managed to stalk to a distance that I felt comfortable shooting from and after setting up the Stone Glacier benchrest, I was able to put a bullet in a good spot and dropped him where he stood.

It was an awesome day in the woods that I don't think I'll ever forget. Gonna be tough driving back to Lincoln in a few days...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This deer had an absolutely monstrous body on him and was covered in fat. He also smelled like hell, must've been getting excited for the rut to get going.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done!! Congrats!!!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice buck.
Well earned.
Happy for you two.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great buck!

What about rifle cartridge details, gotta feed the looney trolls you know laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Kids......sheeesh.... Looky them hi-tech collapsible trekky poles. When did the old ridgid cow-pokers (sorting sticks) go outta style?

Great buck, starsky (and tanner). When are you taking me?

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very nice! The future is in good hands!

starsky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone.

Forgot the gear report! Knew I'd forget something...

Packs: Tanner was using a SG Sky 7400 and I was using the Solo. They kick ass. Period.

Rifle: My 7mag built on a 700. Shot a 180 Scenar started at 2860fps and it worked perfectly.

Trekking poles help a TON coming downhill with some weight in the pack. Even if they are just fancy cow-pokers...grin

Didn't get a chance to break out the tent and assorted gear, but it provided some nice additional weight to add to the workout.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
starsky;
Congratulations on that very fine mulie buck and thanks for the additional photos and details.

You did just fine as a story teller by the way sir.... wink

Chasing mulies in the high country was/is one of my favorite hunts - though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the elevations you all hunt at. It's weird for me too that there are still trees that high as our mountains turn into alpine at about 7500' or so typically.

I'll bet the trekking poles work well too - I used to cut a straight Saskatoon stick for the way down with a loaded pack - you folks might call them Serviceberry down there?

Anyway, those cut poles saved me a twisted ankle or worse on a few deer way back in the day.

Thanks again and again congratulations on a fine buck. All the best to you as you head back to school this fall and good luck on your remaining hunts too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by starsky

Trekking poles help a TON coming downhill with some weight in the pack. Even if they are just fancy cow-pokers...grin

They also make a good set of buffler sticks, if the sage is too deep for the stone glacier bench....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great buck!!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice muley!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice mule deer buck!

Great story and pics.

starsky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
starsky;
Congratulations on that very fine mulie buck and thanks for the additional photos and details.

You did just fine as a story teller by the way sir.... wink

Chasing mulies in the high country was/is one of my favorite hunts - though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the elevations you all hunt at. It's weird for me too that there are still trees that high as our mountains turn into alpine at about 7500' or so typically.

I'll bet the trekking poles work well too - I used to cut a straight Saskatoon stick for the way down with a loaded pack - you folks might call them Serviceberry down there?

Anyway, those cut poles saved me a twisted ankle or worse on a few deer way back in the day.

Thanks again and again congratulations on a fine buck. All the best to you as you head back to school this fall and good luck on your remaining hunts too.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne! Don't think I've come across any serviceberry down here in Colorado. I was indeed very glad to have those poles on the way out, they also provide a nice additional push going uphill too laugh .

Coming from school in Nebraska out to the higher elevations of home definitely takes a little while to get used to.

Thanks for the kind words and have a good week, sir.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great buck, congrats!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One hell of a nice mule deer. I'm jealous

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You guys sure didn't waste any time, congrats on a great buck.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats! That's a great buck!

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Simply awesome Kyle, congrats on a beautiful animal and making some great memories.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You guys have it going on! Nice! Congratulations.

Tanner needs to get in shape so you don't have to push him up the hill next time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love spending time on the hill with these two guys. Most of the time I only get out with Tanner lately with Kyle in Nebraska. If I could get them both out at once I think they could push me easier though. Hoping to get them both on a bear hunt next fall if schedules work out.

Kyle shot all summer with me out to about 900 yards, and was making first round milk jug hits any time the wind wasn't whipping out to past 650. The proud dad of me has to relay on the info that this buck was at 582 yards on a pretty good angle. The rifle pic on the pile of backpacks was the rest. So the two of them together made a pretty good team on this hunt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.