Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am wanting your opinions on the 2 shells. Which one do you guys like better? Thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't used either but the permeability tests I've seen show Neoshell being more air permeable. There's more to it than membrane permeability but its something to think about.

I went the other direction with Sitka/Proshell but I'm looking for a shell that can handle non-stop rain and brush, day after day. Neoshell and eVent might work too, but the Sitka had good reviews for this type of use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't have any neoshell, but do have eVent in my boots. They are far more breathable than goretex and are completely waterproof. You probably knew it was better than GTX, but figured I'd offer my 1st hand experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm interested in this comparison as well. My limited research has shown that neoshell is, apprently/relatively, more breathable but less waterproof and quieter. However, the reviews I've read don't really qualify if it NShell is waterproof enough and/or if eVent is breathable enough. One thing I'd like to know is can one sit on wet ground/snow in neoshell and not have it wet through?

There's a few posters from here that I think have used both. IIRC, one states that neoshell is his favorite shell type, but I think that may be for just a jacket. Hopefully, they will see this and chime in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
setch,

I think you're right... GTX isn't as breathable as the other two but I usually hunt on the OR coast which is literally a rainforest with lots of vegetation. I've gotten good feedback on the Proshell (3-layer) in the Stormfront clothes by Sitka (their premium hunting jacket/pants). Mixed reviews on the Neoshell and eVent under non-stop rain and heavy vegetation. Under other conditions the eVent and Neoshell sound awesome but on the coast its hard to find anything other than pvc/rubber that is actually waterproof.

I'd like to try all of them under these conditions but found a deal on the Sitka that was ~50% off so I went with it. If it doesn't work, I'll post the findings.

Jason

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Sorry no reviews on neoshell, but I own westcomb event jacket and pants and also a kuiu chugach shell... If your wondering if you'll get wet from sitting in a puddle the answer is yes, that goes for ALL breathable rain gear....Breathability is great with all the pieces listed above and so is water resistance...The key is to keep the face fabric clean so it can breath and so the DWR can bead water.

If your hunting in continues rain for a weeks on end and think your going to be dry the whole time cause you spent $1000 on that latest and greatest rain gear.. Think again

All in all I think I like my kuiu shell the best cause its semi stretchable, all other things being equal, I would not hesitate to recommend either product.

Hope that helps

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Just wanted to add that I do have some Rab neoshell gaitors...Ive only used them one season and I like them a lot so far, we'll see how they hold up after another season. They are very waterproof and certainly more breathable then my OR crocs.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have both and have used them extensively for work and play. I find Neoshell noticeably more breathable than eVent, which is impressive. Neoshell has a nicer "hand", is a little quieter I suppose, and has proven to be functionally waterproof thus far.

Neoshell dries a little faster, and usually that is more important to me than straight up impermeability from exterior water. If you're out in gnarly wetness for a few days, you will get wet in eVent or Neoshell. I want gear that functions well when wet, dries quickly, and is water resistant enough to keep my dry for the first 12-24 hours of precip. That combo will get you through most trips in the Rockies very efficiently. Coastal trips are another story. I've never been wetter than approaching via bushes and then bivying in the rain for three days on Mt. Shuksan.

Good DWR upkeep and cleanliness is important with both for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info Snowy.

Are your eVent and Neoshell garments similar in construction (fit/cut, zips, outer fabric, etc.)?

Jason

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I also own both and echo SM's comments. Neoshell has a softer "hand" and is more breathable. Not crinkly or stiff like eVent or Goretex.

I own the Westcomb Apoc jacket and love it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jason,
Both have similar face fabric and are in the 12-15 oz. range. Good question though, the face fabric can play a large role in breathability, drying speed, how well it holds DWR, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the follow-up Snowy. Much appreciated.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Air permeability from ProLite...

http://youtu.be/6TmzwZgEVmA

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by duchntr
The key is to keep the face fabric clean so it can breath and so the DWR can bead water.

This is what most folks fail to address. Think Nikwax TX Direct--it primarily restores the water repellency to the outer shell. If the outer shell becomes soaked, no breathable inner fabric has a chance.

I have three Cabela's Gore Tex rain shells with the "Stealth Cloth" outer shell from the early 90's (yeah, I like them so much I bought three). One is plumb wore out and it hangs around for old time's sake, but every year I wash the other two them (with synthetic wash) and wash in TX Direct. I've also started spraying them with the TX Direct spray on stuff. These jackets are "Extreme Wet Weather" rated by Gore Labs, which means they are highly water repellent, low breathability. I've been dry when other, newer jacket guys were wearing (GTX, E-vent, etc) were getting wet.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used Nikwax for several years but switched to ReviveX on my breathable waders as that was what Simms recommended. Waders being underwater for hours at a time is one heck of a test of DWR, along with sitting and kneeling on rocks/gravel, etc.

Overall I think the ReviveX works better and lasts longer on my other gear that I've used it on but its a little harder to find.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I used Nikwax for several years but switched to ReviveX on my breathable waders as that was what Simms recommended. Waders being underwater for hours at a time is one heck of a test of DWR, along with sitting and kneeling on rocks/gravel, etc.

Overall I think the ReviveX works better and lasts longer on my other gear that I've used it on but its a little harder to find.

X2 on the ReviveX

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I'd like to try all of them under these conditions but found a deal on the Sitka that was ~50% off so I went with it. If it doesn't work, I'll post the findings.

Jason

Tried the Sitka Stormfront for the first time today hunting blacktail on the coast. Non-stop rain, thick brush, and wind. So far, the GTX Proshell is 100% waterproof and handled brush and falls well. Had the pockets partially open for easy access to my calls and by the end of the day they were holding water. None got inside the jacket or pants though.

Wind gusts were 30-40 mph and I didn't feel any of it. Not too surprising with the low permeability. I was wearing whipcord pants and lightweight merino top and synthetic shirt. With ambient at 48F I had to keep the pitzips wide open while climbing up and down the coastrange hills. In hindsight, I think just lightweight merino top and bottom would have been perfect.

When the temps dropped during moderate activity, I left the pitzips closed. Torrential downpour soaked my GPS, but I stayed dry.

I've been using PVC on the coast the past few years... Peter Storm jacket and Grundens Petrus bibs. I've also used Impertech jackets and pants in the past. Compared to those, I can tell that the Stormfront flows some air. Might not be as much as eVent or Neoshell but I'm happy that its waterproof in heavy rain and brush.

I'll update if I find anything new to report.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/25/14.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
4th point, where did you find the Peter Storm? I wore that stuff for a long time but haven't been able to find any to replace it. Way better than Impretech.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TrapperJ,

My lightweight Grundens bibs are very similar in terms of the Peter Storm material. I'm pretty sure they are the Petrus model. They have a parka too, but it doesn't have the same features as the Peter Storm.

Peter Storm used to have a website. I ordered direct from them but its been awhile and I can't find the site anymore. I ordered jacket & pants and it was dirt cheap with currency conversion and shipping. I think it linked to Blacks.Co.UK, which is still around and they carry Peter Storm but selection isn't the same.

I really like Peter Storm gear too. Its lighter, less bulky, and cooler than Impertech, and just as waterproof. I used it in snow/cold several times and I found moisture in the pockets. Only place it could come from was inside since it wasn't raining/snowing... Peter Storm used to call it "breathable" rain gear. It seems that there is limited air transfer but not like the other stuff.

There's a few things that I don't like about the jacket that I have... zipper is on the wrong side (called the head sales guy over there and he said it was a Euro-thing), and the velcro front zipper cover. Other than that, its great stuff where 100% rain protection is needed.

Jason

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
4th point,
That's where I ordered my last Peter storm as well. I haven't been able to locate the same style as what I have.Im pretty sure they quit making it. It was great stuff and my only complaint was the hood was a little small. I know what you mean about the zipper on the wrong side. The first jacket I bought was at Barneys in Anchorage and I took it back to them because I thought it was a factory mistake! I felt like a dumb arse but they said most people did the same thing!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.