Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with the 4W reticle. Closest thing I have found that I like. I dial for elevation and hold for wind if need be.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CT- The Gen2 reticle by Greybull is sorta like what you drew, however the hashmarks go quite a bit further. Scroll down a bit for the picture
http://greybullprecision.com/products/product/33-precision-hunting-optic.html

That said, I'm thinking I could easily like what you drew.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Modified

I didn't draw it but the first .5 MIL mark would be a small break in crosshair, or else a small hash mark.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

JG,

If you're close to Lubbock, I KNOW the wind blows up there. Perhaps your cartridges are magically not susceptible to the effects of the wind or perhaps you don't shoot past 250 yards or so then the wind doesn't matter, at least on deer sized vitals. If that's the case then windage hold marks would be of no benefit to you. If you're particular about shot placement, then the windage holds can be of some benefit to those willing to learn to use them.

What we're trying to discuss here is is a reticle that will do everything well from the muzzle to 600 yards or so in wind, no wind, good light or low light.

John

Or perhaps I know that after 42 years of big game hunting, nobody can dope 15-30mph swirling winds very accurately, especially the first shot. Windy conditions are a way of life here, so I know to get closer or pass, which is why I posted the reticles I like. I also know that older hunters like myself (53 yr old eyes)cannot see the dots, hashes, etc in challenging light very well. Once again, if all that stuff hanging off the reticle works for you, more power to you.

I've shot 4 muley bucks over 190", one of them a 200"+ typical. Longest shot was 160'ish yds. I like getting close to take the guessing out of the equation, even though I"m CDS equipped.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Can we please have a thread without protesters? If you dont dial and hold off this thread is not for you.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Can we please have a thread without protesters? If you dont dial and hold off this thread is not for you.

Didn't mean to ruin your day ct. Have fun with it....I'm out.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/20/14.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thank you, and you certainly did not ruin my day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The IOR MP-8 reticle is essentially what you drew, just inverted.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Guys, MIL or MOA? I have recently started using MILs and prefer it. There was very little learning curve. My mind thinks logically and tenths just seems to click better for me. But I could do MOA if the need be. If we could have a reticle designed would MOA or MIL sell better?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I think moa would be the better seller but Mils would not stop my purchase if it was the only choice available, ct are you thinking about trying to talk NF into a new reticle?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Been playing with this lately:

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Guys, MIL or MOA? I have recently started using MILs and prefer it. There was very little learning curve. My mind thinks logically and tenths just seems to click better for me. But I could do MOA if the need be. If we could have a reticle designed would MOA or MIL sell better?

Tenths are easier for you to think in just like it is for everyone.

The only way for this to sell enough to actually get made is for it to sell as an AR optic for SDM's, snipers, etc. That by default means mils. What you've drawn is so close to a correct mil based reticle such as a TMR. With only 3 mils of elevation and 2 mils of windage you will not sell it to the LR market. Bthe . 5mil marks need to start at .5 and not go atraight to 1 mil.

I know that you are meaning for it to be a hunter specific reticle, however that market is tiny in comparison.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Been playing with this lately:

[Linked Image]

A straight mil dot reticle while not being "cool" is not a bad place to be.

The SWFA Mil Quad is really good. Very thick outer posts.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
SWFA Mil Quad in 3-9x42mm-

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I can't imagine the mil-dot not working 90% of the time.

The Mil Quad looks uber, but I have not used one in low light.

I like the TMR but had a hard time using it in low light.

Leupold makes the TMOA for all you MOA losers.

That is all.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Formidilosus, do you keep the parallax on the 3-9x42 at the factory setting of 100 meters or adjust it out further? Also, the lack of a zero stop on the SS is a deal breaker for me. I realize that a lot of guys think it is not a necessity but I got burned once being off a rotation. Wont let that happen again.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Parallax is factory. It is no issue to as far as you care to shoot.

It takes but a second with a marker to make knowing what rotation your on OBVIOUS. However, there are shims available to make it have a zero stop.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Regarding the MIL R, what are the chances (i.e. can they sell it) if the hollow section of the thick portion is filled in to solid and the thin portion is increased from .035 MIL to .1 MIL?

This is not exactly to scale but close. All that I did was fill in the hollow section and make the thin section approximately 0.1 MIL

I could definitely run this.

[Linked Image]

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
HUGE difference.

[Linked Image]

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Ackleyfan, like Formidilosus mentioned, NF will only make a financially sound decision. I'm afraid he's correct, the market for such a reticle is not there.

That said, I've talked to a CS rep at NF and and he conceded that he tried to hunt with the reticle but had to go a different route for a meat-n-tators rig. The reticle is just too fine. I was also told that it is NF's objective for this particular scope (2.5-10x42) to do it all on a hunting rig. Obviously the reticle is too thin to do it all, even the CS rep said it.

I don't know if anything will come of it but they will listen. Probably the best approach is to just beef up the current MIL R. Heck they've done much crazier (worst) things. Exhibit A: IHR reticle

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 53 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.