Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 6 power image cropped...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
18 power cropped...

[Linked Image]

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know that I have smacked golf balls at 300 yards with my .223 with a 6x42 Leupold. 4 shots 4 golf balls. At 400 I hit 2 out of 4. Coors light cans aint got a chance at 400. Google says golf balls are 1.68" So that is just a little over .5 moa at 300 Dont remember the ball being hard to see, Coors can is probably what 2.5 to 3 inches wide. Not hard to hold on at 400. If you can see it in the scope you can hit if you got the right dope and correct wind hold. Sure it would be easier with a higher power but it is doable. Now I havent shot past 700 yard but for under 700 moa targets arent missed because of having a 6 power they are missed from wrong wind hold or bad trigger pulling. Past 700 I dont have any experience but Im pretty sure it can be done.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
jordan real quick since you are educating us all on why we should be using a 3x9 super sniper, I think your new nickname should be super sniper how is that?? so super sniper, lets say you come down to utah and we go to the desert you have 3 shots NOT 25 to hit at 1130 yards, on a 10" plate. what factors and how much are they in making a shot of this nature. of course there is wind and barometric, beyond that for your combo what do you have to take into consideration to make this shot?? then I will tell you how I would do it or at least give myself the best chance I know of to hit.

Hey Super Sniper, where'd you go? grin

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've picked out a lot of coyotes at a long ways with the 6x Yo's..... but I prefer 8x for binos. I'm learning to love the spotting scope, but it's almost always on 15-20x.

I can spot pretty well with both.... except for when Bruce is shooting, I'm still trying to figure that out....

I just put two more 3-9s on rifles this afternoon.... we'll see how 1-3 MOA targets survive tomorrow.....

PS..... the pics look way better with the fuggin Browning cropped out..... WSSMs ain't for the faint of heart.... or folks with a lisp....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL!

Arsehole!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One good day at the range means nada.

That's Mexican for "you da man"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I've picked out a lot of coyotes at a long ways with the 6x Yo's..... but I prefer 8x for binos. I'm learning to love the spotting scope, but it's almost always on 15-20x.

I can spot pretty well with both.... except for when Bruce is shooting, I'm still trying to figure that out....

I just put two more 3-9s on rifles this afternoon.... we'll see how 1-3 MOA targets survive tomorrow.....

PS..... the pics look way better with the fuggin Browning cropped out..... WSSMs ain't for the faint of heart.... or folks with a lisp....

The WSSM is a Bad Muther. The sooner you realize that, the better. I shot it at the SRM the last shoot of 2013 as a kind of "coming back home" deal. It was the first rifle I shot at the SRM. I shot 70 gr Ballistic Tips at 3660 at that shoot, my coyote load at that time, and hit 35 of the 60 targets. It shot really good today while barrels were cooling....

The Match Director was not impressed with the holes in the steel shocked

Gimme a break; I didn't know blush

Anyway, I shot it at the last match of 2013 with a bunch of my buddies, one of which is a former Police Sniper. His nickname was the "Ice Man". He's done everything and more. The stories are amazing. He was shooting a custom .308 that day.

On station 10 after I shot, he gave me the best compliment I've ever had from a veteran Long Range shooter. He said, "Rick, you could shoot 50 at this match with a fuggin musket!"

We were tied going into the last station, 5. I ran it and he missed the last target; I beat him by one target. A-Bolts shoot. Get used to it....

Sorry to hear about settling on the 3-9's smile

Bruce did really well at the Steel Safari with his Creedmoor. 23rd I think. Picked up a great AR barrel from the table; about $600.00 worth...

8X is great for finding stuff. 20X is better for killing it.

laugh laugh laugh

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Here's my crappy photo contribution.

12" gong at 600 yards with scope set on 15x.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good to me. Is that a Nightforce reticle?

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have a few FFP scopes (S&B, PM-2's) and have learned to like them. Rey much. I use the P-4 fine reticle.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never had a problem with SFP reticles at long range, but then I've not had much with FFP either. I have 6x42's in both flavors.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rick, yes, that is the Nightforce MOAR. I really like it. The values are accurate so far in my testing. Pic doesnt do it justice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pics through scopes never do the true image justice, IME.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'm not Jordan, but here's how I'd do it. First, I'd range the plate and observe it for a while to make sure it's not going anywhere. Then I'd look for a good concealed sneak route, drop down off the ridge, stay hidden, and cut the distance by 2/3.

..... and still miss because you don't know your dope.... or don't believe your dope..... or don't believe the experienced folks who are trying to help you.

.... then come back from the hunt and talk schitt about 'long range hunting' on the Long Range Hunting forum. Hope you get it figured out before your 'hunt of a lifetime' next fall....

Wow. Is that what you think I was doing, "talking schitt about long range hunting?"

The only think I was talking schitt about was my own ability to hit a small target at 1100 yards with the first shot. And what I said was only half-joking because it's true, if I want to arrange it so that I'll hit that target at 1100, I'll need to move in closer.

It's called self-deprecation, and appears to be in short supply hereabouts.

As far as "not knowing my dope," I've got the drops from shooting at various distances. They don't match the output of the program I'm using, and I believe it's because the turret adjustments on my scope are not accurate. Which is not unheard of. They're repeatable but off by almost 1.5 MOA at 500 meters. Which I can either live with by doing my own chart, or fix by changing out the scope. Either would work but I prefer to change out the scope.

As far as not believing the experienced folks trying to help me, that's not really any of your business but since you brought it up I'll respond. I understand the concept of adjusting the BC and/or the MV inputs to get outputs that more closely match the drops I see in the field. Believe it or not, that little tidbit was not news to me when RC recommended it. It's also not something you need a lot of experience to figure out. I've done it in the past for other rifles and loads. But not to the tune of 150 fps. If you have to adjust by that much, there's something else going on.

I've chronoed my particular load a few times and it's right where it should be according to Hodgdon's data. But right off the bat, RC advised me that my MV was 150 fps low because my actual drops didn't match the predicted drops. Which was amazing to me since he knew nothing about the load, my barrel length or whether I'd even chronoed it.

So yes, although I appreciate the help I choose to believe my chronograph and Hodgdon's data, rather than believe my Leupold turret adjustments are infallible. And I know I could be wrong about that. I also appreciate RC's generous offer to loan me one of his proven scopes, but I'd rather work through this one myself and maybe learn a little in the process.

By adding 150 fps to the MV as RC suggested, it puts my actual drops right on with the predicted drops at 500 meters. The only problem with that is, it's not the correct MV so the trajectory is off at other distances. Which is why I think I'll change out the scope. Maybe it'll help, maybe not. Only one way to find out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

By adding 150 fps to the MV as RC suggested, it puts my actual drops right on with the predicted drops at 500 meters. The only problem with that is, it's not the correct MV so the trajectory is off at other distances. Which is why I think I'll change out the scope. Maybe it'll help, maybe not. Only one way to find out.

Hey smoke, where does the output stop matching actual? From the couple of data points you gave me, 330 and 550, the drop on the program matched your actual.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It was off at 400 yards. And this is way off topic, I'm done.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
put a "tall" target at 100 yards marked in MOA as far up as you care to test the scope,shoot it and see wtf.

I have a hard time believing the scope is off 1.5MOA at that range.Not sayin it aint,but i'm thinking you may have several little things going on that are compounding the further out you get..JMO

Are you close to the center of your adjustment when zero'd?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smokepole,

I had a 270 that shot 140gr NABs dead-nuts to 800y per the data from JBM. That same rifle shot 140gr BTSP to the same POI to 500y, but was way low at 800y. I fiddled with BC and muzzle velocity for the BTSP but never could get the data to match the actual drop.

I just assumed that there was something going on with the stability of the BTSP and left it at that. Most loads have been very predictable but that one was an oddball.

I know its not much help, but I can relate.

Jason

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but it's a moot point, it'll have a different scope on it by this weekend. And different bullets when 130 vlds are available.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (338Rules, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 2UP, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.