-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I read this last year but thought others might like to see it. The letter was published last year but its very revealing about the state of FSU football.

"We love the game. We love the players, too, even when they scare us.

Like the blue-chip defensive secondary leader who wrote his personal essay for an openly gay professor on the time in high school he gleefully commanded a posse to bash a girly [bleep] near to death, caved the queer's face, and ruined his smile.

Or the hulking offensive star who brought a friend to help him corner a short, pretty instructor alone in her closet office and scare her within an inch of her life for telling the athletic department he was clowning in class.

Or the top offensive player who sought tutoring from me on a plagiarized paper while tweaking on uppers. Or the standout lineman who never showed for my lectures or turned much in except for a term paper written in someone else's voice, then magically disappeared from the class roll when I resisted the team handlers who pressed me not to fail him.

These guys are all starters at Florida State University. They're probably going to play for the national title; they're almost certainly going to go high in the NFL draft. None of them is older than 22, and they already have longer Wikipedia entries than anyone on the FSU faculty.

My colleagues and I�writers and teachers of writing�are on that faculty. Most of us are Seminole fans as well as teachers. We've dashed off tributes to the game and the players�some conflicted, some not.

We love football, and we really love winning, and while we might be pseudo-intellectuals who idolize tweedy, critical theory-spouting professors, we hate it when they denigrate the game's presence on campus. We want to do right by these players. One of mine was from a sugarfield shantytown best known as the AIDS capital of the state. I hope he never goes back. "You're like, '[bleep] A, man, this is awesome,'" my co-worker Derek says of teaching big-name players. "You're part mentor and part fanboy." (The names of the FSU instructors in this story have been changed to protect their identities and the identities of their students.)

But we're increasingly flummoxed by the football culture surrounding Tallahassee, one that's grown malignant with the wins and the scrutiny, like a traditional Islamic country turned radical and defensive, its craziest pilgrims whirling around Doak Campbell Stadium, the black cube at the center of their Mecca. It's a culture that tells these adolescents that their highest calling is to sacrifice their bodies in the grassy shrine, that all else is distraction. It's the same culture that's now undergoing paroxysms of wild paranoia to spin Benghazi- and Trayvon-style conspiracy theories that might explain these obviously baseless allegations against Jameis Winston, the teenager whose prophetic power can reduce old white men to joyful sobbing.
Jameis Winston Can't See: 125 FBS Teams, Ranked

Each week during college football season we put the conventional polls to shame by ranking every�Read more

Before Jameis, there was the gay-basher. His teacher, Robert, was also one of Florida State's superstars, a professor in training with a pile of prestigious awards and grants. He is also gay, a fact that "any of my students are gonna figure out pretty quickly," he says. The defensive back took his required writing class a few summers back, and they met early in the course for a one-on-one conference to discuss an assigned essay exploring a significant personal moment in the students' lives.

"It was just me and him in my windowless office on the fourth floor of an empty campus building," Robert says. The player submitted his essay and went down the hall for a drink, while Robert read it and promptly "freaked out."

The paper was "a very graphic, very detailed, very proud telling of how he basically got his high school classmates together to beat the [bleep] out of this '[bleep]'"�a word used often in the work�"and literally kick him in the teeth to teach him a lesson." They were sick of their mark "acting like a girl," Robert recalls, and so they went about punching him in the face, emptying his gumline. The tone of the player's essay was that "he was very proud of himself. He had taken the initiative to organize this beating."

Robert panicked. The essay's victim "talked sexually, had tight clothes, and had feminine features�some of which could be certainly be said of me," he says. "Why would he give that to me? I took it in the moment as a personal threat."

When the player returned, Robert faked getting an important text and begged out of the conference, then ran down to a mentor's office to report the paper. The situation was handled well, he said: He never had to see that student again. Still, he had no clue as to the player's motives�or his rehabilitation. "Who knows if he learned anything?" Robert says. "It would be nice if a coach or someone from the Athletic Academic Advising Program said something to him."

The d-back still had to pass his writing requirement, and so the following fall he was placed in a class with Derek, an avid fan and alpha male type who's taught seven or so football players and developed a reputation as a sort of jock whisperer. But although he knew why the student was there, Derek never found a way to bring up the student's homophobic story. Was he performing at [bleep]-hating for the benefit of his ultra-macho brethren, or was he really a violent basher? Could he be a good kid, all things considered except for the hate crimes?

"I know he didn't think that [bleep] was wrong," Derek said, with compassion. Halfway through the semester, the young instructor had questions�for his supervisor, for the coaches. "Did they even tell this kid that what he did was wrong? And if they did, what did they tell him was the wrong part: beating a gay kid near to death, or thinking it was OK to beat a gay kid, or thinking it was OK to write one of us an essay about beating a gay kid?" But Derek never asked them aloud.

The kid muddled through the course, giving Derek little trouble. That January, he helped FSU come back to stuff Notre Dame in the Champs Sports Bowl.

Team superstars get special assistance from the Athletic Academic Advising Program, usually in the form of two clipboard-wielding dudes in garnet-and-gold warmups who pour into the classrooms during our lectures to see whether the players are present. Handlers, they're called. "Like for animals at the zoo," Derek says. "Or like the [bleep] sellers at the markets. Let's call it what it is."

The handlers' only real job is to keep the players eligible to play, whatever it takes. That includes begging, browbeating, suborning intimidation, and, we all have suspected, writing assignments for the athletes. That's what happened to another instructor, Lacy, when she informed an athletic academic advisor that she had some problem players, including a star receiver, who were turning work in late, cutting corners, submitting seemingly plagiarized work, and pulling childish stunts in her classroom like flipping the lights on and off.

Jameis Winston Isn't The Only Problem Here: An FSU Teacher's LamentExpand

The advisor's response was to get on the players' cases ... and to show them her email, Lacy says. So that was why they were now in deep [bleep]. Two of the athletes, clad in team warmups, stormed into her office unannounced and cornered her, yelling at the small, genteel Southerner as she sat between them, her backed pushed up onto her desk. "They're both just towering over me and arguing with me. They were puffing their chests and pacing quickly, leaning in on me," she says. They told her, "I thought you were cool." They called her a liar.

"It just felt very, very aggressive," she said. "I was very uncomfortable."

She told them firmly to leave her alone and got them to exit without incident, assisted by another instructor nearby. In relating the confrontation to a mentor the next day, "I got kind of upset," she says. "I was tearing up a little bit, which surprised me at the time."

Her mentor was upset, too, and took it up with the team's academic handlers. But nothing ever came of it. This was late in the semester, and she didn't want the players coming back to her office, so she decided not to get on the handlers' bad side. "I was very reticent to fail a football player, because I didn't want to be harassed," she says. "I shouldn't have, but I probably graded them much more easily than the other students."

By all accounts, that star receiver has matured greatly since his run-in with Lacey. Still, when she sees close-ups of him on television, she gets anxious. "I can't help but feel he's a little bit of a punk."

I've had dealings with the handlers. My biggest issue was with a gentle giant of a lineman who was new to college, and to reading, and had trouble making it to the morning class. On the few occasions he made it to class (late) and didn't fall dead asleep, his earnest writing, both in style and structure, was that of an elementary school student. He never turned a paper in on time, but when I contacted the handlers to warn them of his status, a pile of final drafts would suddenly materialize, full of fairly complex, organized thoughts and diction�thoughts that hadn't made it into earlier drafts I'd seen. I was bombarded with regular long emails from handlers explaining how I should arrange extra meetings with the player and extend deadlines for him. But he couldn't overcome his absences, and when I informed them through a mentor that he wouldn't pass and it was too late to drop the class, I was asked if I could give him an "incomplete," even though he didn't qualify for one. I said no.

This was a problem: My lineman was already on academic probation for poor performance in his first semester. Should I flunk him, he would lose his eligibility. At the end of the term, when I went online to enter my students' grades, his name didn't appear on the roster. He had been administratively disappeared from the rolls�a medical withdrawal, I heard, though I wondered what malady rendered him unable to attend class but capable of playing 40 or 50 snaps every Saturday.

Sometimes, it was the handlers' non-responsiveness that disturbed me. Like when a lumbering receiver appeared at my open tutoring hours to receive help with his paper, a series of rough ramblings connecting entire lifted passages from a marketing textbook, several Wikipedia pages, and an online biography of Nancy Reagan.

A few minutes into my explanation of why plagiarism wasn't kosher, the receiver's attention seemed elsewhere. He asked if there was a bathroom nearby; he excused himself. He returned about five minutes later, and his demeanor had changed considerably. His legs were quivering, his arms shuddered, and though it was clear he was making an effort, he couldn't focus on my laptop and the work we'd started. "Hot in here," he complained, sweating and stripping off his warm-up top in the middle of a cool basement space where my fellow tutors and I were still wearing winter coats. With 15 minutes left in our session, he rose suddenly, anxious to go to the library and finish the paper, he said.

Through a supervisor, I contacted the academic handlers about the receiver, but never heard a response. This was early last December, less than a week before the police began investigating a sexual assault that allegedly involved Jameis Winston.

If I kept a schedule like these kids do, I'd probably consider popping a lot of greenies. I don't know what they do over there across campus, in a gleaming behemoth of a new training facility, bankrolled by the booster club that's now developing a series of strip malls and condos and drinkeries for alumni on the once-artsy industrial flatlands outside the football stadium. ("Collegetown," they're calling it.) Whatever our players do takes up so much physical and psychic energy that it's amazing they don't ever kill anyone, much less that they make it to class. But most of them are fine. There are dozens of successful, placid ones on the roster every year.

One of Derek's better-adjusted athletes said it wasn't the practices or the physical abuse that bothered him, but how the coaches force-fed him and his teammates. "They watch me clean the plate," the player told Derek. "'You let that settle and then go lift.'" That's in addition to the supervised supplement-swallowing, the pills and powders of who the hell knows what. "He looks down at me, this monster man, this beast, and now he's got kid eyes," Derek tells me, "and he says to me: 'Mister Derek, sometimes I'm not hungry anymore.'"

That wounded Seminole is now a successful NFL player.

We don't know what our role is in these players' lives. Do they even need our classes? Do they need to be cultural critics, or cogent writers? "You're gonna get 3,600 calories shoveled in you and then you're going to lift and run and hit each other. And then I'm gonna ask you to write an eight-page paper on Q-Tip ads?" Derek marvels. "That's a lot that they're leaving up to an underpaid staff to get these kids to do."

As writers and academic thinkers, we understand that sometimes a narrative works the nerves in such a satisfying way that it becomes stronger than a nuanced truth. It becomes what we tell ourselves about ourselves to make sense of things. In Tallahassee, the narrative is that football is salvation, and Jameis is its prophet. He brought back winning, more than we're used to. He brought back swagger, but not too much. He did it all with an insane arm and a smile and a laugh and he's just such a nice young man. (That's a compliment to a black quarterback that's more than a little loaded in a town whose racist taunts ran FSU's first black player off the field and into mental torment, which he ended by firing a revolver into his own stomach, here, in 1972.)

The current allegations against Winston, even if they're ultimately dropped, threaten our pure victory narrative. But most of Tallahassee, even the local sports reporters, cannot accept that the narrative is overly simple, and that failure is always an option, whether it's a physical failure in the fourth quarter, or a moral one in a strange bedroom after last call on Tennessee Street. Most vocal Noles fans find it easier to bandy about numerous conspiracy theories to explain the news. It's the timing of this thing going public�some Manziel or McCarron fan dropping a bomb before Heisman voting, before BCS selection. Maybe even a (voice drops to a whisper) Gators fan. It's the height discrepancy in the police report�and that chick doesn't know what the hell went on, probably because she was drinking. It's some lying jealous gold-digger. It's racism. It's a state attorney who is grandstanding or maybe corrupt or maybe just has a hard-on for unfairly persecuting football players for rape, except for the ones that were actually guilty or look pretty bad.
Reports: Jameis Winston Under Investigation For Alleged Sexual Battery

Below is a Tallahassee Police Department incident report describing an incident at an apartment in�Read more

Even to casual fans who've never darkened the doors of the institutions whose colors they wear on Saturdays, none of this probably shocks. Maybe they assume every Division I program is a stable of high-toned, ego-motored, big-balled thoroughbreds, surrounded by pushy handlers who are perversely protective and laissez-faire at the same time. And maybe that makes the conspiracy theories easier to form. If the academics can be arranged so that players stay eligible, it's a rather small leap, in the mind of a certain kind of college football fan, to the notion that strings get pulled and palms get greased by rivals trying to derail a season. The fix is in. It's long been a part of the football fan's narrative, anyway�the other guys are dirty dirty dirty that's the only way they could possibly beat us.

But like the on-field play, the excesses of student athletics look different when you teach in these schools: faster, more dangerous. It's the kind of difference that makes us, in our student lounges and off-campus drinkeries, say, yeah, Jameis Winston is great, gifted, a wonderful kid�but yeah, he could have assaulted that girl. Any of them could have.

Maybe that's unfair, but it's hard not to feel that way when you've seen the culture up close. We're a part of that culture, too. We love the game and the school; we may love the players. But we've seen what they get away with, and we know the fix is in."

Adam Weinstein

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent letter - while it pertains solely to FSU, it is an issue with which the whole of college football needs to come to grips. Even here on the 'fire, we condemn the actions of thugs out in the real world, but are willing to not only overlook their actions, but also to admire them if they are bringing success to a team that we favor.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
- - - "We don't know what our role is in these players' lives. Do they even need our classes? Do they need to be cultural critics, or cogent writers?" - - - " Adam Weinstein

Sadly, anyone who has studied intercollegiate athletics knows that aspects of the above scenario are true of many big time programs - FSU does not stand alone. Adam Weinstein's overblown prose does not reveal anything new. His piece comes across as a whiny attempt to gain some notice by claiming "woe is us" about himself and fellow writing teachers, but he got to use some writing skills which may otherwise go unnoticed from day to day.

His quoted statement - about "not knowing our role" - is a lame and vacuous thing for any teacher to say, let alone a university "professor". More whining. Any fine teacher knows her/his role very, very well - and exercises that role, as strongly as possible, regardless of surrounding influences or appeals.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
IME - Jock mentality = thuggery.
These young folks were raised that they could do no wrong, as long as the get the win.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am sure all this buffoonery will switch course when the new FSU President takes office. shocked

Sam......

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That was hard to read. The person that wrote that is in love with himself.

My first thought was that the guy is a whiner wanting a raise. Football players gone wild, and your example is a receiver who might be tweaking and a player who wrote an essay about gay bashing?

Sounds like a pretty easy problem to fix to me.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have a friend of our son's who played football and baseball at F$U a few years ago. He came up through little league baseball and football with our son. Terrifically blessed with athletic skills, but was never going to be a rocket scientist if you catch my drift. He confided to our son on numerous occasions that, while he did attend class, he never took a single test, nor ever wrote a single paper while at F$U...EVER. They had academic counsellors who handled all that for him. He graduated with a nice little degree and now plays professional ball at a substantial salary.

All in baby!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is precisely why I don't follow football anymore. I just don't like the people that play the sport.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

My first thought was that the guy is a whiner wanting a raise. Football players gone wild, and your example is a receiver who might be tweaking and a player who wrote an essay about gay bashing?

Fire the professor and keep the thugs, no? mad

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
This is precisely why I don't follow football anymore. I just don't like the people that play the sport.

Not just the players. The coaches, the staff and the TV networks, too.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing new here. Long ago collegiate sports ceased being about the student-athlete and became all about winning. College football is driven by the consumers thirst for more.

While it is easy to point a finger at FSU, all the big time football programs are recruiting the same players. Nobody has the guts to say many of these are not college material, and thus have no business in college, on scholarship. If you even insinuate that, you will be labeled racist. The come back will be that college is the only chance many of these athletes have to escape poverty and better themselves. This is their escape from crime ridden neighborhoods and probably a life filled with arrests and law enforcement incidents. So now, a football scholarship has become a tool of social engineering.

Instead, we now bring this element to our college campuses. All the major football schools can paint a similar story. UGA has had a continuous stream of players booted from the program for problems that range from weapons to weed to fraud to theft. Auburn had some geniuses break into a drug dealers home to steal cash, only to find it was under surveillance by the DEA, and they were busted. Alabama had 3 of their football players beat the crap out of another student, steal his wallet, and use his credit card. Throw that in with FSU and 4 different programs just off the top of my head that have to deal with this.

Do I believe professors have been intimidated by athletes and Athletic Departments? You bet I do, and not just at FSU. Should things change? Yes, but it is near impossible to do without harming the institution financially. UGA had a professor named Jan Kemp who complained that UGA officials intervened to keep football players eligible. She got fired over it, and sued UGA and won. The aftermath was that UGA kept higher academic standards for a time than many of the the other SEC schools and it hurt them on them field and in the pocket book.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

There is a character issue that the NFL is grappling with. Why are the more serious incidents involving NFL players now than ever? By serious we are talking about premeditated murder (Aaron Hernandez and Ray Carruth) as well as the Ray Rice, Ladanian Thomlinson stuff. Go back and look at who the colleges are recruiting and where they are recruiting from and you'll get your answers. Funny how I don't see this stuff from Northwestern or Vanderbilt.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I quitt watching when the Deon Sanders "Dew Rag" replaced Tom Landry's hat....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I quit watching when the Deon Sanders "Dew Rag" replaced Tom Landry's hat....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I find it quite hypocritical that these D1 football 'student athletes' can't participate in a true playoff[16 or 32 team] due to missed class time. Yet real student athletes at D1A-DIII all do so every year, you know, the student athletes that won't be going to the NFL.
Follow the $$'s.

FJB & FJT
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am sure all this buffoonery will switch course when the new FSU President takes office. shocked

Yeah because there is no Buffoonery at the FU right? How many gators been arrested in the past 10 years and lets not forget the Murderer Hernandez. [bleep] stupid hypocrite.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Godogs57
We have a friend of our son's who played football and baseball at F$U a few years ago. He came up through little league baseball and football with our son. Terrifically blessed with athletic skills, but was never going to be a rocket scientist if you catch my drift. He confided to our son on numerous occasions that, while he did attend class, he never took a single test, nor ever wrote a single paper while at F$U...EVER. They had academic counsellors who handled all that for him. He graduated with a nice little degree and now plays professional ball at a substantial salary.

All in baby!

Name of Player please?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True that the degredation is pervasive - seems like few programs are cleanly run. Sad that the prime purpose - higher education - so often is sacrificed at the throne of fan entertainment. I really like intercollegiate sports - and well-coached/well-played football is a favorite - but the non-academic reality is nasty. It is refreshing indeed to hear about - better yet, meet and talk with - college football players who are fine citizens, serious students and who really benefit from the programs of study.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If only General Lee had won!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

Fire the professor and keep the thugs, no? mad

I'm not sure what your point is. Mine was that sounds like pretty normal college behavior to me. I don condone any of it, but I have a hard time getting excited about these specific examples. Kick them out of your class and move on.

Do I think some college athletes are thugs? Absolutely. But maybe people who are going to be in positions of authority need to learn how to be an authority figure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 35 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.