Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Seems like I read here that these were a really useful tool for getting animals off the ground. Well I had bought one at Home Depot earlier this year. They work as advertised. A bit heavy at ~1.5 pounds, but well worth it. Much easier to skin and field quarter off the ground.

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
looks like it works pretty slick. What is the weight rating?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty sure Pete E posted about those. I need to get one. Seems like when I kill something nobody is around to help lift.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
Pretty sure Pete E posted about those. I need to get one. Seems like when I kill something nobody is around to help lift.

Yes, I did mention them here a while back after seeing a guy in our Club use one...

The largest ones I have come across are rated to 250lb, but I am some you can probably get heavier duty ones if you did some searching.

That said, if a person is wanting to lift game in excess of 250lb, you'll probably want a block and tackle arrangement rather than a single pulley, as the single pulley offers no mechanical advantage...

Last edited by Pete E; 10/19/14.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you need to lift more get a come along

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The one I was using is an XRT Progrip 3/8" rope, rated at 350#

Our deer won't go over 200# dressed.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by laker
If you need to lift more get a come along

A really versatile bit of kit that every hunter/outdoors man should have..

They are great for loading game into trucks ect, but too heavy / bulky to carry while out hunting, which is where those ratchet pulleys or a small block and tackle shine..

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I bought one several years ago, keep it in the back of the truck during hunting season. Since I hunt alone most of the time, I figured it would be really handy for things like moose and elk, with no one there to hold legs for you. Haven't had to use it yet, but pretty sure it'll work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep one in the Jeep for strapping stuff on the trailer of hitch hauler great tools!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
a wire come-along rated to 1500# can be had for under 30 bucks at harbor freight.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Those ratchet pulleys are pretty damn handy for when you run out of hands.

It doesn't ratchet, but I use one of these quite a bit for "general pulley" use:
Petzl Pulley

I don't have any idea what a kilonewton is, but its rated for 23 of them.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

You just have to ask the right folks. cool Make sure you take them with you. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

You just have to ask the right folks. cool Make sure you take them with you. smile

Problem is I always make sure my guests fill out first and when I shoot I am usually the only one left out there. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2

It doesn't ratchet, but I use one of these quite a bit for "general pulley" use:
Petzl Pulley

1 kilonewton =
224.808943 pounds force

Most of the newer lifting and torquing tools are rated in Newtons or Kilonewtons as part of our indoctrination in the international metric system. Some have secondary ratings in lbs. or ft./lbs. Better get used to it, we may have no choice soon.

Back on subject, quite often there isn't much to lift an animal from where I kill a deer or elk, so if I need to quarter an animal I usually bring some clothesline weight rope and tie off the legs to keep them out of the way, skin the animal one side at a time on the ground, and spread the skin out to place the quarters on and keep them clean. Learned this trick many years ago and used it extensively on a moose hunt in Alberta. Cleanest quarters I've ever taken out of the field were doing it this way.
We usually do our hanging and skinning back at camp back at camp if possible as we always have a meat pole hung for this job. These pulleys or a come along are very handy there for sure.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
So, is a kilogram more or less than a mile? I guess I never got that.

I've never really lucked into a nice place to hang stuff, but have tied things off like you describe. Sometimes I have a cleanish tarp to set meat on if I can't get it straight in a game bag. I cut up a moose by myself, but it must have looked a lot like a UFC fight that I was losing (and I had the knife).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister

Petzl Pulley

1 kilonewton =
224.808943 pounds force

Most of the newer lifting and torquing tools are rated in Newtons or Kilonewtons as part of our indoctrination in the international metric system. Some have secondary ratings in lbs. or ft./lbs. Better get used to it, we may have no choice soon.

Back on subject, quite often there isn't much to lift an animal from where I kill a deer or elk, so if I need to quarter an animal I usually bring some clothesline weight rope and tie off the legs to keep them out of the way, skin the animal one side at a time on the ground, and spread the skin out to place the quarters on and keep them clean. Learned this trick many years ago and used it extensively on a moose hunt in Alberta. Cleanest quarters I've ever taken out of the field were doing it this way.
We usually do our hanging and skinning back at camp back at camp if possible as we always have a meat pole hung for this job. These pulleys or a come along are very handy there for sure.

Bob

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, is a kilogram more or less than a mile? I guess I never got that.

I've never really lucked into a nice place to hang stuff, but have tied things off like you describe. Sometimes I have a cleanish tarp to set meat on if I can't get it straight in a game bag. I cut up a moose by myself, but it must have looked a lot like a UFC fight that I was losing (and I had the knife).

That made me chuckle I know what you mean about moose and ours aren't as big as yours.

Wyoming tree...

[Linked Image]

which is why I thought the ratchet pulley might be handy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since I discovered a Rope-a-long, my come-a-long has stayed in the garage. Endless pull without having to re-tie. Rope you will probably have with you anyway....

[Linked Image]

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looked at my ratchet gizmo its 3/8" rope rated at 250lb's

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
There are truly useful pulley and ratchet systems available in most climbing shops. Big wall climbers have developed strong and very light systems for hauling loads on multi-day ascents. I use an antique Hiebler clamp and a pulley on an oval carabiner. Climbing gear and clothing has many crossover applications for hunters.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
255 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.