Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kevin_T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Owen (my 14 yr old Elk Slayer son) and I went out for the 5 days of Colorado first season. We packed into a spot for the dreaded dry camp I always try to avoid, but it was where we had been seeing elk. We had very unusual weather and a stunning sunset our first night before the season opened. These are the type of views, that you can only get in a back country camp. Here are a few photos.
Sunset
[Linked Image]

Camp at sunset, with Seek Outside Redwood brown 4 person tipi
[Linked Image]

Paradox Pack in Coyote
[Linked Image]

The first day, we followed our plan A , but quickly found out it was not feasible. The meadow we planned to work had plenty of elk sign, but was a good 45 degree and steeper, with about 400 vertical feet of blow down at the top. A pack out up, was not really going to work, and our location and lack of water meant a pack out down would require moving camp and would need more water etc. The first day, plan "A" was a lost day.

The second day a weather system came in. It was windy, cold, snowing, hail , all day long. It was a good day to move camp and go on to plan B.

Here is camp from plan B. The 4 man was setup for a bit better snow handling, using the side guy outs to get a steeper wall and allow a place for snow to accumulate.
[Linked Image]

The next morning after the weather cleared, Owen connected on a 5x4 bull.
[Linked Image]

We packed the bull out and went home and he returned to school.

I reorganized my gear, and packed back in with about 30 hrs left to fill my tag. I packed in as light as I could, using a BT-2 and nothing that required cooking.
I went up a nasty drainage, and finally found a nice place to set up camp that had good glassing opportunities.
[Linked Image]

The evening, I almost connected on a cow. I had a small group in trees at about 120, downhill from me, and as I was getting ready to shoot they spooked like I rarely see elk spook. The following morning I came within seconds of connecting again as a small group, disappeared over a little knob. That day I needed to go get more water (now kicking myself for not sucking it up and carrying more in), so I hunted up another drainage, where I was busted by a bull near the top. Needless to say, I was getting frustrated. I glassed a couple cows later in the afternoon but had no way to close within 550 or so without loosing 1000 feet of elevation and going up another ridge. Finally that evening, I watched a small group from about 140 yards and could never close the deal. I watched a bull with his rear facing me in some scattered trees, and a cow that the vitals were covered by a tree for some 20 minutes before the wind kicked up and they moved back in the timber. Feeling snake bitten , I headed back to camp with about 30 minutes of shooting light left, when I spotted a small herd moving across some gulleys below me not far from camp. I sat down, and picked out a nice cow who then proceeded to tumble a long ways down the gulley before coming to rest in a depression underneath a fallen aspen (about the only trees in the gulley). Since she was difficult to move up from the depression, and the tree blocked moving her down hill, I called in a couple friends who found me and helped out and I returned to the TH at 2 am with a nice cow in our packs.

Overall, a very good 5 day season.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very well done! Two elk in that short of season is good work. Congrats to the both of you.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Congrats Kevin and Owen! Awesome pictures too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1, great pics and congrats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unreal pics. Congrats.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for bringing us along!!!

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome pics and story Kevin, you guys are doing it right!

I need to buy one of those tipi tents...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cool photos, way to go. It's refreshing (and rare) to see actual hunting trips in the backpack forum these days.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for your narrative and photos. Good stuff! What were your rifles and cartridges?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
MOG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Great photos and story there mate, that's a lot of quarters to pack out in 5 days! I bet the legs were a bit sore afterwards.

Regards,

Mog

IC B3

K
Kevin_T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Lots of packing yes and I needed a couple days for recovery.

Owen shot a Tikka 7mag with 150 grain TTSX , I used a Tikka 30-06 with 168 TTSX distances were 420 for the bull, 300 for the cow. I prefer closer shots, but the area mostly runs long, and all my closer attempts fell through for one reason or another.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding! Well done, and great pics!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.