Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Planted a plot in winter wheat one week ago. Returned Saturday eve and it was already about 4" tall with lots of tracks. About 30 mins after I settled in these 5 doe came out:
[Linked Image]

I picked out a 100lb 1.5yo and let her have it. 350 Rem Mag with 225 Sierra SPBTGK over 58g R15 at 170yds. No tracking involved:
[Linked Image]

Quartered her and dropped off at a local processor for some tenderized steak, burger, and smoked hot links. Put the loins in a brine to fry up tomorrow night. Should be some fine eating.

Have a good one,

loder

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She'll eat real gooooood smile

Congrats!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks!

Looking fwd to the hot links most.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That'll be good eats! Care to share your brine recipe and cooking methods?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pointer

Nothing special on the brine, I just place the loins in a bowl, sprinkle salt all over, cover in cold water, and let them sit in the fridge for a few days. Seems to pull alot of blood from the meat, turns it a porkish color. We do our quartered deer the same way when time permits, 1 lb salt in a 75qt cooler, add ice & water, change out water & add more ice/water for up to a week. It pulls out a good portion of blood and turns the meat light pink.

As far as cooking on the loins: Clean, slice into 1/2" thick steaks, sprinkle your favorite seasoning(I use Tony's Cajun Seasoning), dip in a beaten egg, flour, dip in beaten egg again, flour again, add 1/2" cooking oil to cast iron skillet, medium heat, turn meat every 30 sec for about 4min, remove, drain, and serve. You can drain a portion of the oil and make some dandy gravy for rice or potatoes to go along with it. Green beans and corn bread are also nice adds.

For an even more unhealthy and quite tasty kick, sub butter for oil.

Have a good one,

loder

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
aint nothin like fried venison. hoping to stick one this weekend our freezer went out and i lost most of my meat

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by killindeer
aint nothin like fried venison. hoping to stick one this weekend our freezer went out and i lost most of my meat

I noticed a little water coming out of my freezer in the carport on Saturday. Opened it up and it had just started to thaw. No frost or ice but all the food was still frozen. Transferred it to my parent's and my sister's freezers so didn't lose anything. Getting a new freezer delivered this week.

I was lucky I noticed it when I did!!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good job with the ole 350 mag, I'll bet there wasn't much for ruined meat.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep, you got lucky TL. I caught one like that once luckily. I lost one last year that was fun, opened the garage to the smell and when I opened the door it was awesome!

Swede,

I only lost about a steak or two's worth of the bottom of the back straps. I pulled a touch high and caught the bottom of the spine. It tore up the lungs, ribs, demolished the spine, and even got into the liver. Lots of blood at impact, but she only made it about 5'.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by killindeer

I noticed a little water coming out of my freezer in the carport on Saturday. Opened it up and it had just started to thaw. No frost or ice but all the food was still frozen. Transferred it to my parent's and my sister's freezers so didn't lose anything. Getting a new freezer delivered this week.

I was lucky I noticed it when I did!!

for real i had a good bit of burger and tenderloin and smoked link sausage and patty sausage i had to toss. gonna hafta stock up this year.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

Nothing special on the brine, I just place the loins in a bowl, sprinkle salt all over, cover in cold water, and let them sit in the fridge for a few days. Seems to pull alot of blood from the meat, turns it a porkish color. We do our quartered deer the same way when time permits, 1 lb salt in a 75qt cooler, add ice & water, change out water & add more ice/water for up to a week. It pulls out a good portion of blood and turns the meat light pink.

As far as cooking on the loins: Clean, slice into 1/2" thick steaks, sprinkle your favorite seasoning(I use Tony's Cajun Seasoning), dip in a beaten egg, flour, dip in beaten egg again, flour again, add 1/2" cooking oil to cast iron skillet, medium heat, turn meat every 30 sec for about 4min, remove, drain, and serve. You can drain a portion of the oil and make some dandy gravy for rice or potatoes to go along with it. Green beans and corn bread are also nice adds.

Have a good one,

loder
Thanks! I think I need to brine mine. Wife doesn't mind the taste/texture, but doesn't like to see blood coming out of the steak. If I cook it enough to get the blood out, its over done.

Growing up, we always did the salt water thing for rabbits/squirrels, but never deer. If I can get another this year I'll give it a try.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had deer loins on the grill last night, need to shoot a few more this year. Those were off my son's mature buck. That doe that started this thread should be delicious.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

Have a good one,

loder

Thanks for sharing. Congrats on doe.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.