Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9270109 10/20/14
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
When people write a recipe that says "simmer" (or especially "reduce heat and simmer"), do they laugh their asses off while thinking about the people who will actually try to accomplish such a thing?

Last edited by 5sdad; 10/20/14.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
huh ?

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There is no such thing as "simmer" in real life. There is either boiling or nothing happening.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a big pot of homemade gravy simmering right now to reduce and thicken.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a pot does not have to boil to be cooking.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad
There is no such thing as "simmer" in real life. There is either boiling or nothing happening.

For many, that is true.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
with all due respect, your stove sucks.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea,,,, I'm a crappy cook stuck with a flat top elec. and even I can get a nice simmer going with some patience.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Simmer is no problem on my old gas stove top.

I hate cooking on electric.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
All stoves, just like chefs, are not created equal.

That said, trying to simmer in a piece of chit pot, on a piece of chit stove....trying to say the least.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Simmering ain't hard. Hell I simmer on this.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Some folks just have no concept of simmering..

For instance, I've seen a lot of people who seem to believe to boil potatoes, there needs to be a nuclear reaction going on under the pan..

Graduated stove controls are wasted on them and they might as well have simple "on/off" switches for each ring/burner..

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My original thought was that the stove controls that I have been in contact with over my lifetime are basically just that: on or off. I realize that I have probably run in an incredible string of bad luck (AKA cheap stoves), but I have yet to find one that will "tone down" to where things keep receiving heat without them boiling or frying. This applies to both electric stoves and gas stoves (which always turn off the flame long before reaching the "off" point, but not at any definitely delineated point along the way). Both my ineptitude around a stove and the first of my three signature lines must be kept in mind when considering this issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My original thought was that the stove controls that I have been in contact with over my lifetime are basically just that: on or off. I realize that I have probably run in an incredible string of bad luck (AKA cheap stoves), but I have yet to find one that will "tone down" to where things keep receiving heat without them boiling or frying. This applies to both electric stoves and gas stoves (which always turn off the flame long before reaching the "off" point, but not at any definitely delineated point along the way). Both my ineptitude around a stove and the first of my three signature lines must be kept in mind when considering this issue.

At least you're trying to carry out a simmer... I said some folks just have no concept...In one case, I am sure the lady in question relies on the over boiling liquid to run down the outside of the pan, and so reduce the heat coming from the ring!

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I would also contend that there are people who do not know what simmer means - they are content to believe what the control knob says no matter what might actually be happening on the stove. (Which sort of goes back to my original point - is there really any such thing as simmer, or is it just some level of heat/cooking that is relative to each cook's way of thinking?)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

The gas stove valves with which I'm familiar have their lowest "on setting" farthest away from the off setting. They start with off, then twist to high, and more twisting lowers the flame. When they reach the stop, the flame is very low. When they're set up this way you can quickly twist the knob to a very low setting without any danger of putting the fire out.

It seems like you've been fighting the system.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The above post that mentioned the type of pan has allot of merit too.
I find it easier to find that sweet spot on this infernal electric beast of mine with a good CI pan but it still takes a minute or two.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Newer gas ranges usually have burners of different BTU output.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
simmer is what makes some food great.like cube steak and gravy. you can cook it hard all you like but simmer is what gets it tender and tasty.

if you don't know how to simmer ,you need to learn to cook.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Newer gas ranges usually have burners of different BTU output.

Yes. One just right. One almost good enough. And two that aren't big enough for squat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.