Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I also like Texas a lot, especially during Montana winters. In fact in December I'm headed down there to hunt for the 21st time, more than I've hunted anywhere else except Montana. I may even spend longer chunks of winter down in Texas as I grow older, but ain't gonna move there.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm going in February.

Shhhh..... grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
You get your ass in and get your ass out as soon as possible. powdr

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im going in January...and again in June.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by powdr
You get your ass in and get your ass out as soon as possible. powdr

That's what she said...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm going in... oh, wait. I live here now. :-)

You heathens be sure to let me know exactly where you're going in Texas so I can alert the local constabulary -- or shoot your trophies before you get here.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I also like Texas a lot, especially during Montana winters. In fact in December I'm headed down there to hunt for the 21st time, more than I've hunted anywhere else except Montana. I may even spend longer chunks of winter down in Texas as I grow older, but ain't gonna move there.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When people ask me why I moved from Texas to Idaho, I always point out that Texas has fireants, Idaho (Montana) has elk.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
I for one like Texas...and most Texans. Not as much as Montana, obviously. I did however learn while I was there that Im the ONLY one who didn't kill a 400 pound hog....seems all the natives get them all the time, and I was the ONLY one whose Axis didn't weight 250 pounds.
Saw a Raghorn bull elk mounted in the LGS there. The proprietor had killed it in New Mexico the year before, and was able to pack out 800 pounds of meat from it.
Sooo I learned why everything is bigger in Texas. Because the Texans say it is! grin

Sad but true. I have shot several Axis in excess of 250 pounds however.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look guys I can't help it if our spike elk are bigger than anything in Montana. It's just the way it is. Let's see 800lbs of meat...live weight 2000lbs? That sound about right? Thought so. powdr

IC B3

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look guys I can't help it if our spike elk are bigger than anything in Montana. It's just the way it is. Let's see 800lbs of meat...live weight 2000lbs? That sound about right? Thought so. powdr

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by powdr

When the guy told me about that I thought Ive had plenty FEEL like 800 pounds by the time I got them to the truck.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's a well-known rule.

When I lived in northeastern Montana there weren't many elk up there, even in the Breaks. But the young son of the sporting goods store owner drew a bull tag, and the kid killed a spike a couple days into the season. This was a pretty special event in our small town, and the local paper ran a story about the deal, complete with a grainy black-and-white photo of the gutted spike in the back of their pickup in front of the store. The reporter asked the hardware store owner how much his boy's elk weighed, and the proud father said, "Right around 900 pounds."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My mom was from Texas. After trying to explain things to her (on numerous occassions)I well remember my dad's toughts on Texans.

He'd shake his head and mutter "you can always tell a Texan...but not very damn much", followed by a comment about pissing in the wind. ;0)

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That goes for women in general too. But I know what you mean.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As a Californian (left for Midland Texas in '95) choosing the Idaho panhandle and the Texas hill country as my final destinations I am more than pleased. Yes, pride in either place but, well, OK....

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
800 lbs is a record bull elk, with less than half of it being edible meat.

the 64 gr Win sp is marginal for penetration. All these .22 bullets are, actually. the shots must be nearly broadside, and better avoid shooting at dusk, if there's any thick cover around. Exit wounds/blood trails are not all that likely with these rds/bullets. Ranges should be held to about 150 yds, with very careful placement of the bullets into the vitals

Last edited by squesh; 10/25/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by squesh
800 lbs is a record bull elk, with less than half of it being edible meat.

the 64 gr Win sp is marginal for penetration. All these .22 bullets are, actually. the shots must be nearly broadside, and better avoid shooting at dusk, if there's any thick cover around. Exit wounds/blood trails are not all that likely with these rds/bullets. Ranges should be held to about 150 yds, with very careful placement of the bullets into the vitals

Did you cut and paste all that or actually put it into your own words?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been to Texas many times pig hunting.
....Stopped at a gas station in the middle of NOWHERE southwest Texas.
It seemed like the all the trucks we saw were extra long extended cab Fords painted in white.
The wemin were stunning for the middle of NOWHERE.Danged impressive.
Theres an excellent write up in P.O. Ackleys handbook for shooters and reloaders about usuing the 220 Swift on deer.
The info about powder and bullets is dated.
But the principal if using a bullet that wont explode at hyper speed on deer is as good today as it was 60 years ago.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,524
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.