Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I'm boarding a plane for SLC early tomorrow. Hope to be at Rock Chuck's and the Mrs.' by tomorrow evening. Currently I'm wondering if I can fly 4 1/2 hours holding my breath with a plastic bag over my head.

We'll be heading up to the Sawtooths or Pioneers on Sunday AM with llamas aboard.
Searching for a nice mulie buck. Rock Chuck already got his last week so we'll see if Snubbie gets some of his good hunting mojo.

Wish us luck.

Report in a week or so...

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good luck!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good luck. Hadn't heard that subject line in a while.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good luck on your hunt. Sounds like a great time. We saw a few smaller mule bucks last week up high hunting moose. Report back with lots of photos.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good luck Snubbie

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking forward to the pictures!

No Farmers---No Food
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This hunt might be like some of you have in the SW. The weather is much warmer than normal. We haven't had a single freeze yet, a month late, and even in the mountains above 7k the nights are above freezing. Daytime temps are in the 60's. It looked more like this last year at this time. We got 2 deer last Friday and were seriously concerned about getting the meat cooled. The days were t-shirts and I never did put on anything more than a heavy shirt.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Long trip and long day from NC yesterday. Headed out shortly. I only have cooler weather gear save for the one t-shirt I wore traveling. Weather looks like it may cool a bit the next few days. Otherwise this shirt's gonna be stinkin!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good luck. Sounds like rain and snow are coming in tonight and tomorrow.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
good luck Snubbie

IC B3

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Back from the mountains, still in Idaho.
We had a great trip, saw somw beautiful country, we hiked and climbed some rugged country and watched the high country go from fall to winter in a matter of hours as we hunted in a snowstorm that covered the surrounding high peaks. We had a first-class camp setup and a first class experience overall. We saw lots of game; antelope, moose, even watched two herds of elk in the evening twilight with bulls still bugeling. Overall about 25 elk, 30 antelope, 2 moose bulls. Makes me happy to know there's still wild places to go to see this.
But we were after deer and strangely, saw none. We even pulled up stakes and moved camp over into an entirely different drainage. We went to Rock Chuck's secret honey hole where we found lots of sign but no deer. Running out of time and awaking to rain the last day, we decided to head on back, said goodbye to the Idaho mountains, and drove back to RC's abode where we spent the afternoon cleaning and drying gear.

So it was a great trip. As most of you know, the success or failure of a trip doesn't depend on bagging your quarry or else most of our trips would be failures! Spending time in the mountains and enjoying the beauty of God's creation with a friend just can't be beat.
I drive back to SLC today and fly back to NC early Saturday. I'll do a more detailed trip report with photos after I get home.
Thanks for the well wishes!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Deer hunting was lousy but you sure can't knock the scenery. Camp was at about 7600' and those peaks are about 10k.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Beautiful country no doubt!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 1minute, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 64 invisible), 3,234 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,941
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.