-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This one really looked exceptional. Was it right?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=446094696

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/20/14.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And rightfully so!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
THAT'S nice!!!

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Surprised to see one that nice come out of Minnesota! Must not have been drug through the brush like most are...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice one
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I would want to see a lot more pics if I were going to spend that kind of money, but from what I can see, I think it is stone cold right.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Beautious! What a find.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
More I look at it, having second thoughts about the bluing. The lighting sucks so it's hard to tell without handling it.

Be curious to hear what some of the other guys think...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not familiar with what is correct for that one, so it's hard for me to judge.

The lettering is light, like it MIGHT have been buffed in a couple spots. Isn't the stamping normally pretty aggressive in those?

I figured if the wood had been redone, it would show dinks somewhere under the new finish, but it doesn't, and the color looks right.

It seems like every takedown you see that's seen any use at all the takedown metal is a different color than the rest, more wear.

There's a little wear near the muzzle, so I'm betting this one rode in and out of a case and that's it.

If it was correct, where are you going to find another for <$1600? Sucker's 100 years old! I shoulda bid...

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Looked redone to me !! crazy crazy looks like its been buffed by the serial numbers and the bluing looks off color on the receiver,JMO Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She looks mighty spiffy. Might be 2 good 2 be true. I didn't think Minnesotans would waste money on redoing guns though. It is a pretty frugal state.

Regardless it looks very very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/21/14.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
for me with out holding it in my hands to get a good look at it .
I'd lean towards it being refinished. its just to nice. pictures can hide a lot..

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always hard to tell bluing in pics. The serial numbers look a bit light as though they'd been buffed, but the checkering looks perfect. I'd have been more confident it was original if the case color was still there.

In summary.. not sure. I'd guess original.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
More I look at it, having second thoughts about the bluing. The lighting sucks so it's hard to tell without handling it.

Be curious to hear what some of the other guys think...

LOOKED RE-BLUED,

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the wood is OK. Fit, finish and sharp features.

Bluing is suspect: But may very well be original.

Crappy lighting.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think it is redone. Serial number is light and bluing should be shinner. The wood has a satin finish and I think the originals had a varnish finish. But looks like a good refinish.
Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funky looking serial number. I'd much prefer to see this one in person.

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My take is that the receiver was re-blued, but not in the way most of y'all are thinking. I'm guessing (since like the rest of you I can't hold it in my hands) that it was meticulously hand polished down to a very fine grit and then either rust blued or possibly nitre blued. The numbers look shallow, as if they were partially erased, but not by buffing rather by hand polishing with the abrasive backed by a semi-hard backer, making it look very much like the original finishes on pre-WWI rifles. The barrel and fore end iron probably hold their original finishes, IMO.

Stock? Best guess is that it was meticulously re-finished by working right up to the checkering and removing a teeny tiny bit of material. Think museum curator working on a national treasure. Then the checkering was recut- that I would bank on.

All in all, I bet the guy started off with a very presentable rifle and worked some magic on it. Worth the extra jingle? I don't know, but evidently someone thought so. I really wouldn't mind owning it myself for that matter.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 3,225 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,920
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.