Hop To
#9270825 10/20/14
J
Joe_S Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Heres one I got a few weeks back. Its a Marlin 30-30 Zane Grey edition. 22" tapered octagon barrel with brass forend tip, trigger, and butt plate. I have wanted one of these for several years and it kinda fell into my lap a fella contacted me through Gunbroker about a 44 mag I had listed. Not sure it had ever been fired before I3 got it. Zane Grey was a dime store western novel author. He wrote a lot of short stories and also some novels I think. Dad's grandpa hunted gators with him when he was younger, so altho there really is no connection, there is a connection. smile

Overall pic is probably crappy. Was taking over my head.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice rifle.

I bought one of these a few years ago from a fellow 'fire member.

It shoots well with both W-W 170-grain Power Points and my handload with 170-Grain Core-Lokts.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's a pretty cool story about the gator hunting. Zane Grey is one of my favorite people. There's a lot more to him than a bunch of crappy western novels, although they sort of were the origin of most westerns to follow. Zane used his fortune as a writer to fund some of the greatest, money no object, adventures of all time. He wrote about a dozen nonfiction books about his fishing trips. Those are the ones that people collect.

If I didn't already have a 336, I'd be all over this one. Bump.

J
Joe_S Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks yall. All i've run thru it so far are 165 gr cast over trail boss. Have since added a Lyman peep too.

Joe S.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Riders of the Purple Sage.. One of my favorites.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SShooterZ

Yep! My favorite Zane Grey Western Novel. TNT did a suck ass job of the TV Movie they made out of it several years back! I was really disappointed.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of these is on my list...but I haven't found "the" one at the right price.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Joe_S Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Dont give up. One has been on my list for a while.

Joe S.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SShooterZ

I always quite enjoyed the Grey novels, though they really got quite florid about defending the heroines' chastity, while at the same time throwing in innuendos about smoldering passion. Real women's novels, while going into raptures about the landscapes of the West.

About 8-10 years ago, a guy named Thomas Pauly wrote a biography of Grey that had figured out the cipher he used in his diaries. You can find it on Amazon.com. It turns out that Grey was a fanatic skirt-chaser, even while his wife was fully aware. He always seemed to have a teenage mistress with him on those trips, even when his wife was along.

It kinda took the gloss off his writing for me. Hell of a writer, and I still go back once in a while to reread some of his books because of the interesting subject matter, but I reinterpret much of them in the light of what I now know about him. whistle

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Anjin
" ... Hell of a writer, and I still go back once in a while to reread some of his books because of the interesting subject matter, but I reinterpret much of them in the light of what I now know about him. whistle

In either "Sixguns," or "Hell, I Was There," Elmer Keith states that when he guided Zane Gray on an elk hunting trip, Gray stiffed him on the fee.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
These are nice rifles. I have one that is in nice shape and I have been thinking of thinning the herd if any of you guys are interested.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It was "Hell, I Was There". Made me have second thoughts on Zane Gray.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by model70man
It was "Hell, I Was There". Made me have second thoughts on Zane Gray.

Yeah, me too.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I remembered reading that. I always preferred Louis L'amour.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zane Grey's writing aside, read his autobiography, the man lead a life most of us that love the outdoors can only dream about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Zane Grey's writing aside, read his autobiography, the man lead a life most of us that love the outdoors can only dream about.

Correct. Here is some more information about him and his writing, both fiction and non-fiction.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0340719/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Read em' all in high school.
The border trilogy was one of my fav's.

[Linked Image]

One kick azz critter.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/02/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Gee, while I 'm not a Zane Grey fan, I read those books also.. In fact I reread them about 10 years ago.. A lot of history in those three.. Wetzel was certainly an awesome person.. Did some reading on him in places other than Grey.. As you so well put it he was "one kick azz critter".. I assume the stone pictured, is a new marker for his grave!! Thanks for the post.. I thought his grave would have been lost to history..

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Deadbeat or not, I have red other accounts indicating same, Marlon built a nice shootable rifle to honor his writing talents. If you run across one, they balance nicely.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 03/05/15.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
425 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 36 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,917
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.