Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Old stuff carries it's own memories. Reminds me of my grandparents, my aunts and uncles, my mother, guys that taught me the outdoors.

I use the same stuff building memories with my granddaughter. She'll remember the old hammer and old pan that cooked her smallmouth for lunch today. She'll remember the smell of whitegas camping... she'll remember her fishing with an old zebco rod and reel her mother used when she was little.

Memories are all that's left when you're gone.... except someone has to pick up your dirty underwear where you last left them.

Hopefully there's someone that sees, smells or hears something that triggers a memory... and say's,' I remember...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hurricanes don't let you keep "old stuff". That's how you realize it doesn't matter.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Losing a child and looking at all their stuff that meant so much to them stacked in the garage is even more real on how much stuff doesn't matter.

This thread isn't about what matters, it's about what you accumulate beyond just for normal use because you just like it.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
books on hunting and shooting....mainly in Africa and Asia....also sorta a big bore/African classics cartridge(really need a 404 Jeffery and 318 WR) collector as well as minerals and gemstones though as a bit of a FU to my ex i sent my precious stone collection to a friends daughter who was having a rough go of it during his divorce which was going on at the same time, figured she could use the distraction better than the wife and i and i just kept my favorites and will start over whenever im settled....my buddy said he should have had a camera ready when she opened the box grin

Last edited by rattler; 10/20/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage 99s, Savage Arms memorabilia, vintage ammo in mostly Savage calibers

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Guns....John Deere toys. 4 inch crescent wrenches..great key chain fob..

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Creek Chub Pikie Minnows. Ambassadeur baitcasting reels. .22 ammo. (Just in case, but not from the gougers, and I don't resell it for profit.) Wheat pennies.

Loved Creek Chub Ding Bats. Had a bunch and they were all stolen. Think all I have is one now. All my old baits were stolenover 25 years ago. Just never had the desire to replace them.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like old hunting rifles. Looking through a few I've got out, I evidently really like those that are hard to find ammo for and don't shoot too good.

Harry
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Anything that catches my eye. I have too many 28 gauge shotguns, pocket knives, Martin guitars, five string banjos, books magazines and reloading tools.

I lost a complete Gun Digest Collection to a fire 16 years ago plus other books, shotguns, rifles and musical instruments, but have regained more stuff than I lost.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i collect junk i don't really need - right now but might some day - usually

kinda funny - buy stuff at yard//garage sales- know its a great item/tool- sits in shed for 4-5 yrs and then really need one - great to know its somewhere even if it takes a day to find it - case in point - faucet in sink leaked

that tool with long handle and floppy wrench jaw head - worked great and took no time - instead of trying to get a hand wrench or something to reach way up there to tighten the faucet hoses - now i'll probably won't need it for another 4-5 yrs.

come on kent - a thin fin shad - what happened to the fish frying pan ?

yep good/great memories can't/shouldn't be forgotten

if some want to take'm(collections) with you to the deep 6 - i know some who need 3-4 plots!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
Losing a child and looking at all their stuff that meant so much to them stacked in the garage is even more real on how much stuff doesn't matter.

This thread isn't about what matters, it's about what you accumulate beyond just for normal use because you just like it.

Kent

Kent, i take an ol double barrel out first day of dove season, and a set of binnocs given to me, and will stop by a favorite camping spot next week. All connected to my son. It's been over ten years now, and losing him never got any easier, really.
My house up in prescott where a daughter is living is full of about a 100 years of "junk" and i can look at every piece and remember the person. It's kind of like a shrine to me. I would say burn it after i am gone, but the daughter is the same way i am, and i will be part of the collection too. By the way, there are cast iron skillets, and coleman stoves all over the place too.
And there you go posting pictures of that fish, and i got to clean the slobber off the keyboard.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/22/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I collect old glass bottles. Every year when I'm duck hunting I keep my eyes peeled for old glass. I take it home clean the mud out of it and write a note of where I found it who I was hunting with and a few details of the hunt. I put the note in the bottle and set them on top of my kitchen cabinets.

The first bottle I ever found was a old whiskey bottle while my son and me were building brush piles to crappie fish when the lake rises in the spring. He was about 5 years old then.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Old USA made Johnson spincast reels.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. Both enameled and bare cast iron. It is all I use to cook with.

While cooking with 90 year old skillets, it is hard to imagine the meals the pan cooked, who used it when Pearl Harbor was bombed, and the day I was born. Helps to remember this life is short, so make good choices and leave good tracks.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by azcoues

come on kent - a thin fin shad - what happened to the fish frying pan ?

That's the pan you found for me... that tackle box is full of stuff for fishing up north, pike and such. I should find a collector who would appreciate it.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent, i take an ol double barrel out first day of dove season, and a set of binnocs given to me, and will stop by a favorite camping spot next week. All connected to my son. It's been over ten years now, and losing him never got any easier, really.
My house up in prescott where a daughter is living is full of about a 100 years of "junk" and i can look at every piece and remember the person. It's kind of like a shrine to me. I would say burn it after i am gone, but the daughter is the same way i am, and i will be part of the collection too. By the way, there are cast iron skillets, and coleman stoves all over the place too.
And there you go posting pictures of that fish, and i got to clean the slobber off the keyboard.

I've whittled my son's stuff down to his his craftsman tools, his concrete tools we used, his free weights and some parts for his GTO he totaled.

Gave away a crap load of stuff to his friends and cousins.

I wear his tool pouch on the jobsite...

Kent

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Creek Chub Pikie Minnows. Ambassadeur baitcasting reels. .22 ammo. (Just in case, but not from the gougers, and I don't resell it for profit.) Wheat pennies.

Loved Creek Chub Ding Bats. Had a bunch and they were all stolen. Think all I have is one now. All my old baits were stolenover 25 years ago. Just never had the desire to replace them.

Gopher!!! Picked up a Ding Bat yesterday. First one I e seen in a while! Big tackle box came in yesterday. Had 3 Ding Bats in it. Picked out the best one!

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.