Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well,I said I would post back on my experience with Zeiss customer service on my FL's and I just received them back a few minutes ago. So here it is:

A little background...I bought a used set Victory FL's in early May. When I got them, they were a little rougher than the owner let on, but the price was super cheap, so there you go.

I sent them to Zeiss right away, as they seemed to need colimating and certainly cleaning, and the end cap on the hinge had gone missing. I also asked them to check them out to see if they needed glass or anything else, and to please let me know what their impressions were so I could make a decision on next steps.

So this is mid to late May.

Well, I never heard from anyone, but I got a bill for about $500. Fair enough, glass is not covered by the warranty. But I called as I had thought it was. The person I talked to looked at them and said she would not bother, as the marks were minimal and would not affect anything. When I asked why the tech just billed me, she basically admitted that they did not read the letter (which they request you send to them) the tech just saw 'glass, clean, refocus' and just billed me whether it was needed or not.

Fine, that's okay, she was nice and honest. I'll just do the warranty stuff, which was cleaning and collimating etc. They say it will be out by the end of the week. So I wait. I check after a another month. One more week they say.

So I wait.

Finally, I call them in late August. They tell me they are ordering glass for it and it will be a few more weeks. That's surprising, but sounds good enough to wait for. So I wait.

Then I called last week. No return call. I call again. No return call. I call again. No return call.

Then they show up at my door today. What did I get?

Nothing really. They might have cleaned the inside and done the collamating and they did replace the little badge. But the outsides were dirty, clearly not cleaned at all. There was dust on them from probably sitting on a shelf. Honestly, I am not sure they did anything other than replace the badge.

So 5 months of waiting for a poorly executed cleaning, hopefully refocused, and a little badge.

I like the binos....but NOT the service. If I had gotten new glass as they said I would, I could overlook the wait etc. But they really did not even do a very good job with the basic warranty stuff...and made me wait 5 months for that.

So my response on Zeiss service? If service is important to you, my experience suggests you look elsewhere. I have read of great service on here from Zeiss, and I have a Conquest HD scope that I like as well. But if I ever get to the high end stuff at full price, Zeiss will not be on the list for me. I am definitely very disappointed in what I got back and how long I had to wait to get it. YMMV.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Disgusting wait time there......
I have a pair of FLs that I just noticed some mildew inside..surprised about that, but I'll be sending them in.
I'll be relaying how the experience goes.
For all of the grief guys here give Leica, the few things I have sent in to them have been prompt, perfectly repaired, and gratis, even without 'original owner' status.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Yeah, I am really surprised how this went, I was definitely expecting more, especially considering they want to compete with Swaro, Leupold etc. They have missed the boat when it comes to service, for sure.

If I had gotten new glass out of the deal and they had come back pristine like I hear Swaro often does, I would have swallowed the wait with a little grousing. But I got poor service, terrible communication, and a ridiculous wait.

Frankly, I had a high opinion of Zeiss before this, they were always on my list for purchases. Not any more. They make some nice stuff, but God help you if you need service, and everything needs service now and then.

Swaro, Vortex...that's where I'll probably start my looking from now on. That's too bad, really.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Not knocking Vortex, but I had one of the early Razor 12x50s. I was hunting this early spring and dropped them a considerable distance and damaged the binos. Called CS and explained the issue and was told how to send them in. I was pretty sure they were not going to fix them due to the damage. Sent them in and figured that as an outside chance they may upgrade me to the new HDs since the razor was no longer available and I had bought several of their scopes just for the warranty. Called a week later to see what was happening with my binos and was told that they would be replacing them. Great joy, so I ask any possibility that I would be upgraded to the new HDs since I have spent alot of money with you and just ordered 4 more scopes. The response was " we keep a few pair of the originals around for testing and other things, so we will be sending you one of those." I received my replacements about 5 days later and checked them over. Found they were older than the ones I sent in. Called the vendor who I ordered the new scopes from and cancelled my order. Also have been replacing my Vortex scopes when I find new replacements. Now don't get me wrong, Vortex did exactly what their warranty says. They replaced my Razors with an Identical older set. Just alittle disappointed in their wanting to keep a customer for life. I have not recommended a vortex anything to anybody since. I have since bought a pair of Swarovski 12X50 SVs.

Last edited by BluMtn; 10/20/14.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hardly a Vortex fan boy, but....

You broke them, they replaced them with an identical set, but because they wouldn't give you a different binocular for free, you're upset?

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Nope didn't say I was upset. Vortex did exactly what their warranty states and nothing more.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I did not expect Zeiss to go outside their warranty, that being said they are definitely behind in that department. I just wanted them to do what they said they would and do it in a reasonable timeframe. For how long I had to wait, I expected better.especially since they said they would do better. What I got was a poor job upholding their warranty, months of waiting and not what they said I was waiting for. Oh, and no effort at communication from them. Really disappointed, frankly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be telling Zeiss that if they value my long standing commitment to their products they will: a) get me a loaner optic, and b) expedite the (excellent) repairs. I bought the victory FLs in question brand spanking new.

And I will tell them that I'll be candidly and fairly posting on open forums about their service process.
I've been very supportive of Zeiss quality--especially their Victory FL series glass--and plan to be just as vocal about this.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Please let me know how this goes for you. I might pursue this a bit further with Zeiss in the future.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by catorres1
Well,I said I would post back on my experience with Zeiss customer service on my FL's and I just received them back a few minutes ago. So here it is:

A little background...I bought a used set Victory FL's in early May. When I got them, they were a little rougher than the owner let on, but the price was super cheap, so there you go.

I sent them to Zeiss right away, as they seemed to need colimating and certainly cleaning, and the end cap on the hinge had gone missing. I also asked them to check them out to see if they needed glass or anything else, and to please let me know what their impressions were so I could make a decision on next steps.

So this is mid to late May.

Well, I never heard from anyone, but I got a bill for about $500. Fair enough, glass is not covered by the warranty. But I called as I had thought it was. The person I talked to looked at them and said she would not bother, as the marks were minimal and would not affect anything. When I asked why the tech just billed me, she basically admitted that they did not read the letter (which they request you send to them) the tech just saw 'glass, clean, refocus' and just billed me whether it was needed or not.

Fine, that's okay, she was nice and honest. I'll just do the warranty stuff, which was cleaning and collimating etc. They say it will be out by the end of the week. So I wait. I check after a another month. One more week they say.

So I wait.

Finally, I call them in late August. They tell me they are ordering glass for it and it will be a few more weeks. That's surprising, but sounds good enough to wait for. So I wait.

Then I called last week. No return call. I call again. No return call. I call again. No return call.

Then they show up at my door today. What did I get?

Nothing really. They might have cleaned the inside and done the collamating and they did replace the little badge. But the outsides were dirty, clearly not cleaned at all. There was dust on them from probably sitting on a shelf. Honestly, I am not sure they did anything other than replace the badge.

So 5 months of waiting for a poorly executed cleaning, hopefully refocused, and a little badge.

I like the binos....but NOT the service. If I had gotten new glass as they said I would, I could overlook the wait etc. But they really did not even do a very good job with the basic warranty stuff...and made me wait 5 months for that.

So my response on Zeiss service? If service is important to you, my experience suggests you look elsewhere. I have read of great service on here from Zeiss, and I have a Conquest HD scope that I like as well. But if I ever get to the high end stuff at full price, Zeiss will not be on the list for me. I am definitely very disappointed in what I got back and how long I had to wait to get it. YMMV.

That sucks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hello guys,

I'm new around here but have been lurking for a while. I recently bought a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x42 binocs from another forum member in good standing. The pics and description state the binocs are very lightly used - hell, they look almost brand new in the pics - so I have high hopes for them when they arrive. Which is what led me to this thread.

I've always been a Swarovski guy. Had both scopes and binocs and loved them. Would've gone with Swarovski again but ran across the the thread selling the Victory's at a decent price and thought what the hell? I had always heard of how great the Zeiss customer service and warranty is and always had great experiences with Swarovski so figured Zeiss would be the same. Now I read this and am a little worried? All glass eventually needs service.

I can usually forgive a lot of minor shortcomings in any product but poor customer service is not one of those things I'm prepared to forgive. Big deal breaker for me. Should I be worried or is this not typical? Now I'm thinking about selling the Zeiss, recouping my funds and going with Swaro as originally planned. Like I said, I've always heard how great the CS is with Zeiss. I'm really surprised to read this...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You should be worried if you need Zeiss warranty service. My three time experience is that they do as little as possible and take a very long time to do it. 9 weeks , 10 weeks , and 13 weeks to get broken scope erectors fixed. I don't buy Zeiss anymore.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Good to know!!! I was going to buy a Conquest but will rethink that decision.

Some companies think you lose money by offering good customer service (it is an expense), but you will more than make up for it in future sales and reputation.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Cropslx
Good to know!!! I was going to buy a Conquest but will rethink that decision.

Some companies think you lose money by offering good customer service (it is an expense), but you will more than make up for it in future sales and reputation.

That's how I look at it. Swarovski CS is outstanding. I can say from first hand experience that it is pretty much the opposite of what's been laid out here regarding Zeiss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
they do as little as possible and take a very long time to do it.

That sums it up....

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Just talked my hunting buddy out of buying a Zeiss scope this morning for his new rifle. This 1 customer service experience just caused Zeiss 2 sales. Seems like these companies would learn from theirs and others mistakes!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am first a Swarovski fan due to many reasons, CS just being one. That said, I bought a Zeiss Diavari rifle scope off the Campfire a few years ago and the tubes were all scratched up and the inside of the lenses had a film on them. I called Zeiss, they said send it in. They sent the scope back to Germany and rebuilt it. It still had the scratched tubes, but internally and lens wise, the scope was new. It took 2 months, but there was no charge. I think that is pretty darned good service...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My brother sent in two older Conquests to be gone over... after a long period of time Zeiss confessed they had no idea where his scopes were. The sent him a new 2x-10 hd5 conquest and a 3x-15x hd5 to replace his lost older 3.5-10 and 4.5-15.... The whole process took like 6 months but I say they made good on it. My brother was pissy about it , sold the two new HD5s and bought used older conquests like he had and made several hundred dollars on these deals.......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,734
Posts18,457,547
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.