Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by moosemike
The thing that drives me crazy about Core Lokt's is how dented up the brass usually is.

Makes no difference. It straightens right out when fired! wink

I too have noticed the difference in primer colors. Seems to make no difference. I'm getting MOA (often less) with factory Corelokts with 140s in a .260 Rem 725 SA, and 150's in M98 '06.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I picked up a couple of boxes of Remington Core Lokt 308 win last month. Should have looked at them first. The bullets don't look as good as other companies second. The tips about a quarter inch back have deep lines as if skived only on one side covering half the bullet. These should have ended up in the scrap bin. I'll use the for range fouling shots but will not hunt with them.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I come close to trying some the new hornady I think it is called american. Should have bought that but I was thinking of the brass. Don't know how good the hornady brass would be.

Tater
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd
[/quote]holy chit that can get ugly quick if you wasn't watching

Not really, 06 won't chamber in a 270. However the 270 will chamber in an 06 and that can get really ugly.

Shod [/quote]

No, it wouldn't get ugly at all. You'd be WAY under pressure, though the bullet would exit (and likely not be anywhere near on target).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if any of this is directly tied into the rush to get ammo out and onto the store shelves. I ask this because on another forum I visit there was a guy who bought some Winchester power points for his 308 and had the exact same complaint. he posted pics showing the different seating depths of various rounds from that box.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In light of some other Remington shenanigans in the past couple of years, there's no telling by who or where this ammunition is made. This ain't our old DuPont no more.

The new Marlin is a good example.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny, I just opened two boxes of Remington 100 grain .243. New factory stuff. Every cartridge was just as it should be.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still have some old Core Lokt rat holed from the 80's that I wouldn't hesitate using.

The last Remington ammo that I fired was 260 Rem. It burnt through the side of the primer and back into my face.

Remington sent me a couple of boxes of ammo and offered to fix the burn on my bolt so no bad mouth for Remington. Something happened in the early 90's though where Remington took a down hill turn.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot alot of Remington Core Lokt's myself, in many different calibers, funny, but I get great accuracy out of all that I have shot so far. Hum......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Ok so get this I went to Dicks Sporting goods today to get a box of core lokt 270 to sight in a rifle. Get to the range take the first round out of the box. It says 30-06 I'm like i know I bought 270 well sure enough every one of the rest were 270. How this happen I have no idea but I always check my round to make sure I have the right caliber cause sometimes I take multiple rifles. Guess I just have a habit of making sure I have the right round. May want to check if you guys buy any make sure they are what they say the box is

I won't say this is not the fault of Remington, but this is the reason you see signs in stores "No returns on ammunition". You don't know what wing nut would do something like that, but sabotage is not out of the question...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep. Got a box of shells back at the LGS one day...25-06 put into a box of .30-06...

Only problem was the box was Remington, and the ammo was Federal.

In my usual tactful demeanor I told the custom I believe that remington could make that kind of mistake,if they were remington shells, but I DONT believe someone from Federal snuck into the remington ammo plant and filled that box up!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the plus side a lower cost way to get brass. That's usually the only reason I shoot the stuff.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Bought my 4th box of Hornady American Whitetail ammo in 30-06 yesterday.
First three boxes had nice shiney brass, this one had fairly dull and dirty brass.
Turns out the dirty stuff was just as accurate as the shiney.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dirty and dull brass is a far cry from wrong caliber in the box

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I come close to trying some the new hornady I think it is called american. Should have bought that but I was thinking of the brass. Don't know how good the hornady brass would be.

I believe you're thinking of American Whitetail, and it's been a pleasant surprise in several rifles I've tested it in to date. Low price, very accurate and more than adequate for deer.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year, while I was hunting for brass and dies for a new .300 Win Mag, I stopped in Dick's while I was in Las Cruces and bought a box of 180 Core-Lokts on sale for about $19. They produced three-shot groups that were consistently under an inch at 100 yards.

A few years ago, I chronographed factory 7mm Remington Mag ammunition for three friends with whom I hunt elk each year. There were two Browning BLRs and two Remington 700s. I was mildly surprised to see that the resulting three-shot average velocities were within 25 fps or so of the factory specifications. Both of the 700 averages were within 10 fps.

I won't give up handloading, but neither do I have nightmares about the prospect of having to use factory ammo in a pinch. However, finding mixed headstamps in a box of factory ammo would give me pause.

Last edited by mudhen; 10/24/14.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That american whitetail is just a Hornady interlock factory load. It has done very well in my .30/06 and the .243, so I just grabbed a box to try in a few .223's.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 40 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.