Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am commissioning a new coyote calling rifle. Nothing fancy, Rem model 7 action w/ PPC bolt face, Douglas barrel, .20 Titan wildcat.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
BP-B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine are all light weights cause I walk and call. I also shoot them out to 800 yards on steel so I've yet to find a reason to lug a heavy rifle around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine are all heavy because I walk and call.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh sure Pat. Log on and refute what I was going to say ( and DID say on another thread...)

And then I suppose you have pics to back up your successes........ whistle

Actually I value for opinion enough that Id just go with a heavy barrel, and figure out why you liked and recommended it later.... wink

Last edited by ingwe; 10/21/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

But most try to let them get closer than a mile.......grin

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I need the exercise so I ordered a Douglas 5A contour. Thanks all for the advise.

Jordan

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

+1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I am commissioning a new coyote calling rifle. Nothing fancy, Rem model 7 action w/ PPC bolt face, Douglas barrel, .20 Titan wildcat.

A rifle is a package, hopefully a balanced package matching bullet, cartridge, barrel, stock, and optics all to not just chosen target but how it's to be hunted.

That being the case, more questions have to be asked.

HOW are you going to call coyotes .. open country or timber? Expected ranges? Sitting, sticks, prone, bipod, etc? Stock? Optics?

For the conditions I'm in here most of the time, Remington's 700 LVSF package is about perfect just add a good trigger and a good 4.5-14X scope. I could say about the same for deer hunting ... throw a 700 CDL SF in 7mm-08 into an LVSF stock and roll with it.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My main coyote gun isa 220 with a #2 contour Douglas barrel. Shoots wonderfully. The other much used rifle has a #4 contour Brux barrel. Shoots wonderfully, and isn't too heavy.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm glad to see y'all are getting your exersize. I lift plenty of heavy stuff at work and run for cardio. I don't intend to carry more than I need to when I'm having fun.

now some are starting to talk balance, take a Model 7 action that was designed for light weight, add a heavy barrel, a light stock and then stick a 2 lb scope on top... To each his own.

My Rem 700 Mountain Guide with a #1 Douglas barrel at 22" in 243ai does just fine out to 700 yards. It used to go further when it wore an M1 dial but the CDS with zero stop limits me, not the 7.5lb hunting weight.

My Montana's weigh less but they still work.

I understand the concept of a heavier gun sitting on a bipod or sticks could be easier to shoot at long range but how many called coyotes are killed over 400 yards?

Good luck.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
and then stick a 2 lb scope on top

Since I'm the only one that mentioned a specific scope I have to assume you're aiming this at me. A standard 40mm objective, 1" main tube leupold 4.5-14X CDS lists at 13.5 ounces ... making your claim of 2 pounds a very gross exaggeration.

If you're not aiming that at me, please be clearer who you're referring to.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No not at you, in the other thread a few mention the SWFA SS scope. I have one and know it's not quite 2 lbs but my point is it's heavy. The gun rigged up as mentioned, will run around 11 lbs. it's just not needed for a calling rifle. Most of my called coyotes are killed under 100 yards. Maybe it's different for everyone else?

I've just hunted with too many people that use varmint rifles and sooner or later, we cross a fence or whatever, they heft my rifle and cry foul. I'm 6' 230 lbs, run 3.5 miles every other day and can carry a heavy rifle all day if I need to. I've yet to see a reason why I need to.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I mentioned the SWFA because the OP is already going with a Douglas 5A barrel. The rifle is going to be heavy anyway, it might as well be balanced, and have a scope capable at longer ranges in order to take advantage of the weight.

One of the worst rifle building mistakes is to build a 'tweener, IMO. For instance, a 10 lb. rifle which has a scope that can't be dialed (or has poor adjustment repeatability). Not all that great for longer range, yet not very portable. A 20 caliber 5A contour at 24" isn't going to turn out a light rifle even with a light stock and scope, so might as well take advantage of it's positive qualities.

If it was being built fairly light as many of us suggested, a lighter scope would be just right.

I'm right there with you on the extra weight being unnecessary in a calling rig. I started out years ago with a heavy rifle for calling, and have steadily gravitated towards lighter rifles, finding a happy medium of steadiness to portability around 8ish lbs.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Like a few of these guys, I prefer a calling gun to be a bit heavier as they ride better in sticks.

My bolt and AR calling rigs are about 8.5 all up and a tad muzzle heavy.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
No not at you, in the other thread a few mention the SWFA SS scope.

Ok, gotcha.

I've tried using a standard varmint rifle ... Ruger VT or Rem 700 VSSF ... it's fine out the truck window (who, me?) or maybe even a short walk over a low rise to call from but to really get out and hike to your "sets" ... I'd rather have a sporter weight rifle.

My current calling / walking rig is a 700 short action in .204 with a 23.5 inch barrel, factory sporter contour but fluted, in a McMillan Edge with a non AO Leupold 4.5-14X with the VH crosshair. It shoots well and carries well.

Here be dragons ...
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The SWFA is a good choice given he went with a truck axle for a barrel. Everything balancing out is more important than final weight.

I hunt different than most as I walk a lot and I'm already carrying a seat, sticks and calls/caller. I've tried the heavy guns and I much prefer light weight rigs, even when we shoot our steel range. But everyone has their own idea of perfect and I'm fine with that.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
#2 or #3ish contour for me.

And I don't recall ever missing a single coyote.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I go back and forth on that.. If walking a lot I carry a sporter but like the heavier barrel off the sticks so I usually lug it around more..

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
lol....nice

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Guys, the barrel arrived. Douglas 5A contour. About .750 at the muzzle. I am quite satisfied. I now its a little heavier than some of you prefer, but I think it will be just what I want. I like the looks and the heft. I think I can fit it into a McMillan Hunter Game Scout stock (or possibly a Manners TA1) and end up with a nice packable coyote rifle.

Thanks all for the advise. Much appreciated.

Jordan

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Keep the shank an inch and it shouldn't be terrible to pack around. It will really help the balance. All my calling guns except for the last one has #4s and they work fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
806 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 81 invisible), 3,177 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.