Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Heading there in a few weeks. Sit for an hour or 2 in the AM and late PM and still hunt the thick stuff in between. Doing it their way, a lever or pump with iron sights. Not many deer I know but only time I get to go to a "deer camp" and hoping to run into a bear or maybe the 200+ lb'er with a rack to match.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd like to make it up there to spot and stalk some timber some day. Read the Benoit's book last year and it just makes me want to slog through the snow with a pump gun in some wool clothes. Best of luck to you. Hoping to hunt black bear up there next fall if this whole moratorium on baiting fails.

Brandon Gleason
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The herd in northern Maine is looking pretty darned good this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted and also camped in Maine.

I don't like Maine for hunting. They let the residents start the deer hunting season earlier than the non-residents.

Maine has a lot of bogs and swampy wet land along with slashings from sloppy logging. Not the fine forest and farm land that PA, NY or parts of VT have.

Some guys in my rifle club invited me to go along on a hunting trip there. We were going to drive way back in on some dirt logging roads.

I got to ride in a new Jeep Cherokee that had a V8. All our vehicles got stuck in the deep mud. We were cutting saplings and putting them under the tires that we tried to jack up out of the deep mud.

Nobody got a shot at anything.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good lord

Is that the picture of the "new" Jeep Cherokee?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to find pictures on the net to illustrate what I write.

The Cherokee was red and the year was about 1963 or so.

The guys were tool makers who shot at the club. However all we had was hatchets to cut saplings. No saws. No winches.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good lord II

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you as a Maine resident get to start opening day earlier than non residents?

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Yes we do. We get 1 extra day to hunt.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I like to find pictures on the net to illustrate what I write.

The Cherokee was red and the year was about 1963 or so.

The guys were tool makers who shot at the club. However all we had was hatchets to cut saplings. No saws. No winches.

What he really means is he is full of schit and too lazy to get his azz out of the lazy-boy in his living room

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JDK

Yes we do. We get 1 extra day to hunt.

God for you guys. I wish they did that for us here...maybe keep some of the damn flatlanders from jersey out

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We just do it to piss Don off. Works well. Sorry Vermont.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd love to get to maine to hunt. Contemplated a sea duck hunt in Penobscot, but I thought the prices were a taaaaad high at 1600 for 3 days

Am considering a bear hunt up there. But hell would love to go for a deer hunt as well

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted and also camped in Maine.

I don't like Maine for hunting. They let the residents start the deer hunting season earlier than the non-residents.

Maine has a lot of bogs and swampy wet land along with slashings from sloppy logging. Not the fine forest and farm land that PA, NY or parts of VT have.

Some guys in my rifle club invited me to go along on a hunting trip there. We were going to drive way back in on some dirt logging roads.

I got to ride in a new Jeep Cherokee that had a V8. All our vehicles got stuck in the deep mud. We were cutting saplings and putting them under the tires that we tried to jack up out of the deep mud.

Nobody got a shot at anything.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those pictures are about as useful as tits on a boar.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I'd love to get to maine to hunt. Contemplated a sea duck hunt in Penobscot, but I thought the prices were a taaaaad high at 1600 for 3 days

Am considering a bear hunt up there. But hell would love to go for a deer hunt as well

I have been fortunate to have hunted in a few places but I really like the whitetail deer hunting in Maine. It is extremely hard and you will work for them but when you beat that buck at his own game you have won. I get frustrated and often wish for an "easier" hunt (no deer hunting is easy) but in the end I'm pretty happy following a track

$1600 for 3 days does seem very high.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The area I hunt has pretty good log roads and I can't afford to get a vehicle stuck or beat up, cause I need it to get back home to PA! It's pretty easy to get back in a few miles off the paved roads, but not always necessary. Any deer you get in Maine is earned even if it's dumb luck.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don,

You have no idea what hunting in Maine is really like so please stay the phugg in VT where you belong.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don has no idea about hunting period except for the shows he watches on TV

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hunted Maine and New Brunswick many years. Never had a problem with mud in November. You need to stay on the haul roads and spurs and off the winter roads. Haul roads have a gravel base, winter roads no base. Now mud season in the spring is another matter entirely. Also the hunting is for good deer few and far between in pockets not like Connecticut where you can legally take 11 and more in certain zones.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
After lucking out in Jackman last year, I'm going back to try my luck again during the Veteran's Day week.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.