Print Thread
Hop To
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
I have a .308 Vanguard a buddy gave me some years ago. It shot great when he bought it, then suddenly wouldn't group for chit anymore. I tinkered with it a little and never got satisfaction. He gave it to me, said if u can make it shoot you can keep it. I recrowned it and its been sitting ever since.

Decided its time to put it to work, since I sold the .270 and no longer have a medium bolt action. Provided I can make it shoot ok, I was planning on picking one bullet to run in it for everything I need it for, from deer to moose. Was thinking a 150gr TTSX or similar might fit the bill.

Was at the gun shop to get some, but saw some GMX and E-tips as well. I figured I'd wait a bit and do some research first. These are kinda pricey, and if there's one that clearly better than the others I'd like to start there. Any recommendations?

I've got a few powders that might work, CFE 223, IMR 4064 and Varget, so I'll try a few different loads and hopefully something clicks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A mono through the shoulders and stuff stops. I've used nothing but Barnes. Have shot GMX and they were accurate as hell. Haven't messed with E-Tips. They'll be a pile of varying opinions, but its all I shoot at game. I reckon if one day something escapes, I'll bitch.

I generally work up the Barnes to where I want it, then try to match ballistics with a target bullet for dinking around with at 1/2 the price.

.277 = 129LRX & 135SMK
.264 = 120TTSX & 123 Amax

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Barnes TSX or Barnes TTSX.

Known entities with plenty of track record, both in accuracy and performance.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I usually start with a TTSX, unless e-tip seconds lure me in with price.

I typically go a step lighter than I would with a lead containing bullet. They seem to penetrate very well, so a little more velocity and less recoil seems a good pick up.

Another bonus is that the TTSX seem to shoot well far back from the lands so they are a great choice in a rifle with COAL restraints. The TTSX's have been on average more accurate in my hands than other (non target) bullets, but OAL seems important in getting them to shoot well. I had a rifle go from 2-3" groups to .75 with .050 change in COAL, that's a bigger change than I usually see with a cup and core design.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by noKnees
I usually start with a TTSX, unless e-tip seconds lure me in with price.

I typically go a step lighter than I would with a lead containing bullet. They seem to penetrate very well, so a little more velocity and less recoil seems a good pick up.

Another bonus is that the TTSX seem to shoot well far back from the lands so they are a great choice in a rifle with COAL restraints. The TTSX's have been on average more accurate in my hands than other (non target) bullets, but OAL seems important in getting them to shoot well. I had a rifle go from 2-3" groups to .75 with .050 change in COAL, that's a bigger change than I usually see with a cup and core design.

Spot on.

All true.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
since I sold the .270
blasphemous grin

I agree and would add a Hornady GMX into the mix. I have not tried E-tips as the Barnes/Hornady have worked for me.

I like the relief grooves in the Barnes/Hornady as I believe they help reduce pressures a little vs the E-tip through reduced bearing surface.

My goto 270 loads are all 130gr TSX, TTSX or GMX over 60gr of H4831sc. A new rifle will almost always shoot one of those loads from 1-1.25".

I am perfectly content and have used all of those for hunting with excellent performance.

The only thing that has me leery of Barnes into the future is the change in ownership.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get your bore really clean before you start. Wipe Out seems to work good and doesn't take any elbow grease.
Start with the 150gr TTSX and Varget. If that doesn't work you can experiment from there but it should bring home the venison.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All good advice so far. The TTSX has been the easiest bullet for me to get to shoot well. The COAL did not seem to really matter in the three rifles I've played with. About .050 off to fit the mag has always worked. I have found that lighter is better. In comparing one at ~2750 to a lighter one at ~3020, the faster version seems to do more internal damage. Tiny bit of penetration price for the lighter, and wider expanding, light bullet, but still very good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said you had Varget in house. You will probably have to look no farther. It has worked well in every .308 that I have been associated with. It, and the 130/150/168 gr. TTSX should be your huckleberry. If Varget for some reason is not satisfactory, see if you can find RL 15; it usually works too.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
130 TTSX or TSX's worked really well in a .308 when I had one thanks to steelhead sharing his load data...

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can get the 130's up to about 3050-3100 fps in a 308. Since the copper bullets retain near 100% of their weight you'll get penetration close to a 180 gr bullet which will weigh about 130 gr, or less, after impact.

All of them work best if started at around 3000 fps. I'd stick with 130's in 308, save 150's for 30-06 and anything heavier for the magnums.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by mmgravy
130 TTSX or TSX's worked really well in a .308 when I had one thanks to steelhead sharing his load data...

Any chance you still have that data?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
All i can say about mono's, is start with a TTSX/LRX and I doubt you'll be looking any further..

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
48.5grs TAC
CCI 200
130gr TTSX
Lapua Brass
OAL 2.76
3085fps

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I have a .308 Vanguard a buddy gave me some years ago. It shot great when he bought it, then suddenly wouldn't group for chit anymore. I tinkered with it a little and never got satisfaction. He gave it to me, said if u can make it shoot you can keep it. I recrowned it and its been sitting ever since.

Decided its time to put it to work, since I sold the .270 and no longer have a medium bolt action. Provided I can make it shoot ok, I was planning on picking one bullet to run in it for everything I need it for, from deer to moose. Was thinking a 150gr TTSX or similar might fit the bill.

Was at the gun shop to get some, but saw some GMX and E-tips as well. I figured I'd wait a bit and do some research first. These are kinda pricey, and if there's one that clearly better than the others I'd like to start there. Any recommendations?

I've got a few powders that might work, CFE 223, IMR 4064 and Varget, so I'll try a few different loads and hopefully something clicks.

CFE 223 works great in my 308 (23" barrel) with 150 gr TTSX and HSP. 2950+ fps is safely achieved with margin.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Steelhead
48.5grs TAC
CCI 200
130gr TTSX
Lapua Brass
OAL 2.76
3085fps

Excellent, thanks. I'm not sure I can find TAC around here but I'll give it a shot, might get lucky.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

388 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,699
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.