Print Thread
Hop To
N
notamos Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Bringing my dad out this year for a cow hunt in 76. This is my first time hunting this unit. (!) Anyway, I could use some advice on the 3rd rifle season in this unit. I'm planning for cold weather (wall tent and wood stove) & need to locate some areas to put him onto some elk. This will most likely be his last trip out so I'm hoping to get into a good area with him. He's in ok physical shape although he's coming in from the east coast so altitude will nail him.

Any help is appreciated. We can take it offline if you'd rather not broadcast your info to the world. I know I'm asking for a lot here. Appreciate any advice you can give.

I'll start scouting there in a few weeks. Thanks guys!

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Can't help here. I never hunted that area

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I haven't hunted it either but checked it out a few years back, got a bunch of maps and did some hikes there. Someone else can chime in who's hunted there but there's a lot of high elevation plateau land up on top that takes a good hike to get to in that unit. Probably not the best for him, especially third season.

I'd suggest getting a copy of this map:

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_140

and looking to set up near the plateau in a major valley leading to lower elevations, and hope for enough snow to push 'em off the top. This map doesn't cover the whole unit though, so keep that in mind. Good luck.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
notamos Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thanks so far guys. Anyone else?

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I hunted there five years ago and it took 10 points to draw a bull tag as a non-resident if I remember correctly. How many did it take for this year?

I shot a nice 6X6 in the timber southwest of Jarosa Mesa which is 8 miles SSE of Lake City.A lot of area 76 is right at or above timberline so get to running if you aren't already.

The area between Creede and Spring Creek Pass (Bristol Head,Table Mt., Snow Mesa, etc.)had quite a few camps.

Hunting above timberline was a little unusual because unlike how they tend to act down lower, the elk would feed high and descend down into the timber.

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/20/14.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

H
H
Hey, I was born and raised in Colorado now living in Alabama due to my job. I've hunted Unit 76 several times and the last few times I've gotten to go back. The area navlav8r mentioned is where I usually hunt. If it is cold and snowing the elk will be down low close to the highway, if not they will be up high going in and out of the timber. If it is hot they will be in the timber below Bristol Head north facing slope. Elk don't start to feel the cold until zero degrees or lower so they seek out the roughest north facing slopes where they stay cool and safe when it is real warm. If you want to chat about it my cell is 256-616-1142, just leave a voice mail who you are I won't answer if I don't recognize the number. Also john.a.sapedaulalaunch.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are hundreds of places to hunt elk in Unit 76. It all depends on how physically fit you are. Give me some idea what you are up to and I can give you more advice.

My father shot a 5x5 bull right off Hwy 149 during his last elk hunt. We were driving down to camp from Spring Creek Pass and I saw the elk feeding near the fence. I kept going and alerted Dad to the elk. Once out of sight, turned around and drove past the elk so a ridge was between us, kicked Dad out, he crossed the road, hopped the fence and shot the bull. Pretty slick.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
N
notamos Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Geez, thanks guys. I've been away from my computer for a few days & came back to some real help.

I'm not sure how many points it took for bulls this year. We're just cow hunting. Honestly, I just want my dad to SEE some elk. Hopefully we can get him to connect.

I'll start looking around & will get back with some of you via PMs/phone calls. I really appreciate the help so far.

N
notamos Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Well, I've had a tough time the last month and havent got down to scout around yet! We're heading down tomorrow for a few days of scouting. We're heading down late *next* week - hunting the season that comes in on the 1st.

I'm going to take a look at the southern/east areas of the unit and then up around Jarosa Mesa. Any other areas/trails you guys would recommend that I take a look at? I'm hoping to glass a good bit - in hopes that I'll see *something*. Anyone hunted it this season?

Dad's all packed up - dreaming about elk I'm sure.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
sent you a pm

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So...any luck???

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

554 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,851
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.