-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hadn't been able to find any of the powders I regularly use, so I bought a can of Alliant E3 to reload some 7/8 oz and 1 oz 12ga target loads.

Has anybody tried E3?

Supposed to be clean burning.

[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have not tried it myself. Good reports from those who have, when they could find it. I think a guy on Shotgun World has been disappointed with its metering. Don't remember what machine he was using. One guy in particular at our club loves it. He is using a MEC.

Boy I hope powder comes back this winter. I'm running awfully low. Find myself using up all the partial cans I tried for this or that and put away.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ring3
Boy I hope powder comes back this winter. I'm running awfully low. Find myself using up all the partial cans I tried for this or that and put away.

Yep....I'm in the same boat. I'm starting to think that load development (for shotgun & metallic cartridges) is pretty much a thing of the past......from now on, it's going to be load whatever bullets you can find with whatever powder you can get your hands on, and set it off with whatever primer you were lucky enough to stumble on to. frown

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I ran out of Clays powder I replaced it with 8 lb's of "E3". I load 1 once taget loads for which E3 is perfect. IMO E3 burns cleaner. I will never go back to Clays for the 12 gauge no matter how much "Clays" powder Hodgdon ships in a few months.

E3 did have metering issues in powder funnels with baffles. I load on a Hornady 366 and have not seen any metering issues.

Doc

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Doc,

Thanks for the info, that's interesting to hear about the trouble with baffles. My Mec 9000 has a baffle under the powder hopper. I havn't opened the E3 jug yet, are the powder flakes that big?

Mark

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 16gauge
Originally Posted by ring3

Yep....I'm in the same boat. I'm starting to think that load development (for shotgun & metallic cartridges) is pretty much a thing of the past......from now on, it's going to be load whatever bullets you can find with whatever powder you can get your hands on, and set it off with whatever primer you were lucky enough to stumble on to. frown

No, you just have to plan ahead. I ordered powder this spring and it came in a while back.. 1500 bucks worth. You order enough for a full two years to start with, and then every year you order the next years 12 months early...

We did that when competitive shooting rifles anyway years ago. Just made for easier life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.