Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JBaker Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Does anyone have any information on the Savage model 29a. I have had my grandfathers for a number of years now and finally took it out squirrel hunting last weekend. It was the first time I shot it since I was a kid. My 2 boys have claimed my other 2 .22s, so I took this one with me. After shooting it throughout the day I can safely say that this is my new favorite .22 by far. It is dead accurate, very fun to shoot and is a takedown to boot. It also cycles the huge amount of 22 shorts I have, which my other 2 rifles don't like. I was mostly curious about the models reputation, value and reliability. Thanks, Jeff

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,

I can help some. The Savage Model 29, 29 A, and 29 B were preceded by the Model 25, Model 1914, Model 1909 and the Model 1903. All were pump action 22's. The 1903 and 1909 were clip fed, all else were tube magazine fed.

The Model 29 is thought to have been released for sale in 1929. It is usually found with an octagon barrel.It's bolt locking method is different from the 29 A and the 29 B. The A and B are a better design. Some A's had octagon barrels some had round bbls. All B's had round barrels.

The Savage Model 29A and B are not as highly valued as the Winchester 61 or maybe even the Remington Model 12/121.

Having said that, there aren't any flies on the 29 A and B rifles. Usually very accurate. Maybe slightly less smooth action than the 61 or the 12/121. Browning has a pump named the Trombone. Very rarely found but may be the best of the bunch for smooth operation, accuracy is said to be mediocre.

Steve

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
JBaker Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you Steve. My 29a has the round barrel and he bought it when he was 14, so that would have been 1944. Does anyone know if having it re-blued would be a no no on this gun? It doesn't appear to be a high dollar value gun. I am never going to sell it, I just don't want to do something I will regret later. Thanks again, Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JBaker
Does anyone know if having it re-blued would be a no no on this gun?
I always advise against any type of refinish, but especially if it's a gun that's been in the family. Any marks on it were put there by someone in your family & may be part of a story, good or bad. If you refinish it you wipe the slate clean and it will not look like a family heirloom, but will look like a gun you just bought off the gun rack at the local Wallmart, all indication of your grandfather handling it will be erased - IMO you should try to keep as much of the history that's 'written' on it as possible.

Gene
J
JBaker Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Gene, those are very good points you make regarding refinish. I think I will just add some mounts for a sling and use it as is. Thank you, Jeff.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That way you will be adding your marks to it's history that will be there when you pass it down. To me refinished guns have no character and family heirlooms should.

Gene
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by GeneB
That way you will be adding your marks to it's history that will be there when you pass it down. To me refinished guns have no character and family heirlooms should.

Ditto!
dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would add that while your 29A was built with HV ammo in mind, given its age, it may be a good idea to limit yourself to standard velocity ammo if you intend to shoot it much.

+1 on what Gene and Dave said on a refinish. Protect what's left.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
JBaker Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I took it out the other day and got my limit of squirrels. Such a fun gun to shoot. I have tons of short and reg. lf ammo. I don't really ever use the HV. I have a Winchester model 02 .22 that also takes anything you throw at it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one and yes it is very accurate. I can pop 20 gauge empty shotgun hulls off a log at 100 feet. It likes HV 22 LR ammo. Nice little, gun, bought mind from an 75 year old man 20 years ago, he got it as a birthday present from his dad, I felt bad, but he wanted it to go to a good home. I hope I have lived up to his wishes, it also came with the orgianal hand tag.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 3,171 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.