Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

So explain to me why I'm trying to figure out what ratio of Olive to Black I want to order from McMillan for the PARKERIZED Mauser I'm getting built???

Because you are a rifle slut.....not a loonie, a slut.

No he's not! Have yet to see him at a rifle slut meeting! grin

Full disclosure: I just ordered my first McMillan...a McFlame! laugh
( And I just got a new 'donor' to sit in the corner till I figure out what I'm gonna do.....)

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I will agree I have bought a few guns that this place persuaded me to buy

Yep. Me too. I now have 2 Tikkers and a Winchester Featherweight in...

270!

I now have a Remington ADL 270, a Ruger 77 270, a Tikker 270 and a Winchester 70 FW 270. grin

More rifles in the house than most gun shops, but No 7x57s. Ingwe doesn't influence me at all. whistle

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

So explain to me why I'm trying to figure out what ratio of Olive to Black I want to order from McMillan for the PARKERIZED Mauser I'm getting built???

Because you are a rifle slut.....not a loonie, a slut.

Full disclosure: I just ordered my first McMillan...a McFlame! laugh
( And I just got a new 'donor' to sit in the corner till I figure out what I'm gonna do.....)

I'm ok with that...people called me a slut of some sort for years, it's not so bad...about that donor action, isn't it about time you got a .270 Winchester(for purely comparative purposes of course)...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just sold my Ruger American in .30-06 and my tack-driving Ruger #1 in .280 Rem. Bought a Ruger All-Weather stainless/synthetic Hawkeye in... .280 Rem.

My MKII in .223 Rem is boxed and ready to send back to Ruger to have the 1:12 twist barrel replaced with a one having a 1-9 twist. The 1:12 twist is sooo 20th Century...

Now if I can just sell my Hawkeye .300WM with the 'African' stock so I can use the proceeds to buy a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 Win. The Scout will be way better for long range zombies than my AR in .300 Blackout, don't you know...

No cure for the disease...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When I joined this site i had 10 0r 12 bolt actions. 270win 270wsm 3006 3006 300win 22/250 220 264 204 2506.

I killed my deer yesterday with the only rifle to have my 2506 in my hands will kill all Idahos big game with the big boys if not better. It slay rock chu KS and coyotes at close to long range.

The 25 caliber is all anyone needs and is the only rifle I have even when I had the others I always gravity to the 257.

This site Madd me buy nothing.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Evan
When I joined this site i had 10 0r 12 bolt actions. 270win 270wsm 3006 3006 300win 22/250 220 264 204 2506.

I killed my deer yesterday with the only rifle to have my 2506 in my hands will kill all Idahos big game with the big boys if not better. It slay rock chu KS and coyotes at close to long range.

The 25 caliber is all anyone needs and is the only rifle I have even when I had the others I always gravity to the 257.

This site Madd me buy nothing.

I agree. All you need is a good rifle and you can tailor your bullets to whatever you're hunting. No need for a gun collection. And with todays bullets it doesn't have to be a .30 caliber, and it doesn't need go say magnum.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Coyote you finally decided to part with the american I see?

Tater
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I joined this site...

I was just trying to figure out how old the Savage 99e was that I had just bought...

I had a severe distaste for rifles that were sporting anything but polished bluing and wood PREFERABLY walnut...

And why do I keep shopping for "donor" actions when I know I have all the rifles I need to take anything I will get the opportunity to hunt?

And why is there a NIB Model 70 .257 Roberts in the safe for my 3 year old and why has it been there for 3 years now?

Think I've been reading this forum too damn long... whistle

well, at least you haven't yet bought a 7x57 grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Coyote you finally decided to part with the american I see?

Yup. Got tired of fooling with it and am putting the money to better use.

It was short throated compared to my three other .30-06's, all of which can run the same handloads. Had the chamber in one of the three reamed to match the other two. didn't want to spend the money on the American to have it reamed to match, couldn't get it to shoot as well as I wanted and definitely didn't want to build special ammo for it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I was just trying to figure out how old the Savage 99e was that I had just bought...

I had a severe distaste for rifles that were sporting anything but polished bluing and wood PREFERABLY walnut...

And why do I keep shopping for "donor" actions when I know I have all the rifles I need to take anything I will get the opportunity to hunt?

And why is there a NIB Model 70 .257 Roberts in the safe for my 3 year old and why has it been there for 3 years now?

AND...he recommended that I buy a .270...

He's still got a loooooooong way to go.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

AND...he recommended that I buy a .270...

He's still got a loooooooong way to go.....

Sooner or later I'm gonna buy a small ring 7x57...for purely scientific purposes of course...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

I was just trying to figure out how old the Savage 99e was that I had just bought...:

This got me 2006.....$1,000s and $1,000s of dollars later here I am!!!!

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Greetings CowboyTim,

I am sorry to her of your infection. I too innocently visited this site seeking advice on my first build. Until then I had been happy with one 3006 for 30 odd years. Then I got infected. grin

The process is insidious. First you get practical useful council on your build, which you mostly follow. The rifle turns out to be one of those holes touching rifles. You are happy.

Then you start to think that you might need one more rifle for that gap between 3006 and 22rimfire - and so it begins. Last year I plugged that gaping hole in my cabinet between .338 and .416... And now I'm toying with that gap between .308 and .264.

I wish you well, I hear there are therapy groups... wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.