Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4winds
Funny how everyone thinks with their heart. If we started thinking/voting/holding those accountable with our minds, I believe this country would be better off with a smidgeon more common sense than the laughing stock we've become. It seems all decisions bear one common denominator especially when it comes to politics (which is what this thread is really about). All you need to focus on is the MONEY TRAIL!

So, the army will come to a conclusion and we will all probably wonder how they arrived there and of course bitch about it over then next 2 decades. But their decision and the money trail will look a lot like this:

1. A company will be chosen by their lobbying power
2. A politician (or small group of politicians) will determine the outcome and gain some kind of personal compensation for their decision in one way or another.
3. All loose ends will be tied up so the taxpayer and soldier will be left in the dark.
4. Cycle will repeat once the next decision outweighs the financial gain to the parties involved for the following future upgrades.
5. Soldiers are stuck with whatever end result.

Sound about right?

Very good post - sounds a lot like the Warren Commission.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
45 don't kill any better or worse than 9mm or bayonet, use of appropriate ammo is what should be addressed.

Well that just ain't so; sorry. Don't get me wrong, the 9mm has proven itself quite well, but we know that a .45 does do more damage.

We'd be the laughing stock with a damn 1911.
Ain't many laughing at the US Marines, they just keep buying 1911's and it's working fine for them.

Anyone who would take a 1911 over a Sig Sauer P227 (organic apples to GMO apples) has NEVER been in harms way...The End!
The Sig Sauer IS more reliable than a 1911, I'll give you that. That doesn't mean the 1911 is unreliable. The 1911 has proven time and time again to be sufficiently reliable for the mission. Seriously, if it goes 1,000 rounds and the Sig goes 3,000 rounds before a stoppage, what bearing does that have on combat? Since when has anyone fired anything more than a few dozen rounds from a handgun in combat? In the history of warfare, has anyone EVER fire 1,000 rounds from a handgun in a firefight? I love reliability, but you need to keep the discussion relevant.

Also, a 1911 is FAR easier to maintain than a Sig. Ever taken the lower half of a Sig apart? It's a small parts and springs nightmare. Regardless, I think we'd be better served with the Sig.

Anyone who would choose a 45 over a 9mm ain't NEVER had to hump cases of 45 ammo into combat...The End!
Now that's some truth. Cases of .45 are DAMN heavy!!

I hate Glocks but believe it could fill the bill.
I agree, if it's a 9mm. There are some serious down sides to the Glock, but the benefits of that type of weapon system just make SO much sense for a modern military. Maintenance and repair of a Glock is as simple as things get, and the price of the gun is much lower. A real down side to the plastic frames is that they can be broken from impact, and that WILL happen; it happens in LE use, and they're comparatively easy on guns. But the plastic frame is corrosion resistant, will go oodles of rounds, never has to be refinished, and cheap to replace if it fails. That design just makes sense. The G21 is just too big and fat for anyone, male or female, with small hands. I have pretty big hands (I wear an 11 1/2 ring), and I dont care for the grip. But a single stack .45 or just G17 would be good.

Another consideration is woman in combat humping 45...Dats funny right there!
I just can't count how many women I've seen or know who shoot a .45 ACP 1911 just fine; it's a training issue. My daughter at age 12 gained a PREFERENCE for my LW Commander in .45 ACP, and believe me...you just wouldn't want that 12yo shooting at you. Now she's 16, doesn't shoot all that much, but will still drill a 50 yard IPSC target every last shot with that LW Commander. It always comes down to training. As for the weight of the gun, a full sized 1911 isn't all that bad, especially if you can carry it non-concealed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
There has NEVER, I repeat NEVER been a single study, test, or any other documentation that shows 45 is any better than 9mm when using the same exact ammo. Compare FMJ vs FMJ or modern HP vs modern HP in 45 vs 9mm and every single one of them shows a tie.
Did ya miss the Thompson LeGarde test of 1904? Yeah, that's over a century ago, but when talking non-expanding bullets; nothing has changed since then and the test is just as relevant today as it was in 1904.

The .45 ACP does produce a larger wound; that's just physics.

Now the question I think you're getting at is; is it enough to make any practical difference? If that's your statement, than yeah, I don't know of any test that has shown that there's an actual difference in incapacitation. There was the "Strasbourg" tests, but they were in "secret" and the methods were not open to peer review, and thus cannot be taken as credible science.

BTW, I'm quite confident the "Strasbourg" tests were not in Strasbourg France, but in Texas.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kevin, I disagree with you on the Glock 21 being too big for people with small hands.

We carried G21's for 11 years, and never had anyone fail to qualify with it. And we have hired some fainty fellas. I believe the reason they don't fail is because we have a no bones policy that if you fail a firearms qual, ( which you get two attempts at). You are done. Unemployed. Full stop. With that knowledge up front i think our guys spend the time learning to shoot it.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Kevin, I disagree with you on the Glock 21 being too big for people with small hands.

We carried G21's for 11 years, and never had anyone fail to qualify with it. And we have hired some fainty fellas. I believe the reason they don't fail is because we have a no bones policy that if you fail a firearms qual, ( which you get two attempts at). You are done. Unemployed. Full stop. With that knowledge up front i think our guys spend the time learning to shoot it.
Well you can't exactly kick someone out of the military for failing to qualify with a pistol. Also consider that the motivations of a GI and a police candidate are very different. Sure within some of the elite forces soldiers will be far more motivated, than police. But for those who are truck drivers, they may be a good deal less motivated and may take it far less seriously.

But you make a good point, training can overcome a LOT of obstacles.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Training. That just brings us full circle. If they were going to train soldiers to shoot, they wouldn't need a new handgun.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
There has NEVER, I repeat NEVER been a single study, test, or any other documentation that shows 45 is any better than 9mm when using the same exact ammo. Compare FMJ vs FMJ or modern HP vs modern HP in 45 vs 9mm and every single one of them shows a tie.

Historically the 1911 and 45 ACP were not particularly well liked during WW-1 through the Korean war. It was only the largely fictional writings of Jeff Cooper that lead to the "legend" of the 1911 and 45 ACP. That and pure nationalism wanting to avoid a gun and caliber used by one of our enemies.

The army wanted to ditch both after WW-2 and go to a hi-cap 9mm.. Their testing at the time showed no difference in performance against humans, but the 9mm outperformed 45 easily in barrier penetration. The 45's were bouncing off steel GI helmets at fairly close ranges while 9mm still penetrated at ranges of over 100 yards.

Going back to the 45 would be a step backwards. Our enemies are starting to use body armor and 45 has always sucked at defeating that. 40 S&W, 357 SIG or 10mm might be a step in the right direction, but the current 9mm is just fine.
You can hit a man in the pinky and knock him to the ground with a .45. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Training. That just brings us full circle. If they were going to train soldiers to shoot, they wouldn't need a new handgun.
Well the Beretta is getting a bit long in the tooth, and going to a more modern design like the Glock type pistols will have some real logistical advantages. But yeah, if you hit them square, it won't make a whole lot of difference.

And of course, if they actually got their .45's just as soon as they hit the field in real combat, you'd hear people whining about insufficient barrier penetration in comparison to the 9mm.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I still think the bestbthing to do is tell the Hague accord to GFY and issue our guys Hollow points

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are so many truths in this lengthy thread that they tend to get lost.

- The 1911 in .45 was chosen over 100 years ago based on its effectiveness

- by the 1930's, shortcomings of having troop with just a pistol led to the development and adoption of the M1 carbine to give officers more firepower

- Korea showed that the M1 carbine did not like the cold weather, and the .30 carbine round did not always penetrate the quilted coats of the Chicoms. So, out with the .30 Carbine

- by 1985, the Browning Hi Power in 9mm was all the rage, so we went with 9mm NATO

- Women don't handle the 1911 well, and women are all in the service

- Troops that get shot at want something more effective than the 9mm

Did I miss anything?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The .30 Carbine has NEVER had a penetration issue. Inside 200m, it will out-penetrate a .223. The problem with the Carbine in Korea was using it beyond 300m, something it was never intended to do. The Carbine was so loved and so favored, and so damn good at what it did, people forgot that it wasn't a main issue battle rifle. They kept asking more and more of the design, and were surprised and offended when they found the limits. By today's standards, the M1 Carbine is a damn good PDW.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neck the .30Carbine down to .224", 6mm or 6.5mm and it'd be a whole different animal in terms of a battlefield weapon.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still think the bestbthing to do is tell the Hague accord to GFY and issue our guys Hollow points

Agreed. In all platforms.

A 53 gr TSX in the 5.56 changes things dramatically, as would an X in the 9x19.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You missed DD saying that in Vn. the tunnel rats liked using grenades.
I wonder why I never thought of that? With all that room for a full arm swing and no problem w/ concussion in a confined space what could be better? That kind of critical thinking is rare and precious.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I still think the best thing to do is tell the Hague accord to GFY and issue our guys Hollow points

It's my understanding the Hague accord doesn't apply to ISIS and insurgents. If the military used expanding bullets in our M-16s and M-4s there would be less ISIS and insurgents walking around.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The .30 Carbine has NEVER had a penetration issue. Inside 200m, it will out-penetrate a .223. The problem with the Carbine in Korea was using it beyond 300m, something it was never intended to do. The Carbine was so loved and so favored, and so damn good at what it did, people forgot that it wasn't a main issue battle rifle. They kept asking more and more of the design, and were surprised and offended when they found the limits. By today's standards, the M1 Carbine is a damn good PDW.

The M1 carbine was loved because it was a viable option for those stuck with a relic (Marines and the M1903) or Officers and those of smaller build stuck carrying an 11 lb fencepost (M1 Garand).

Sometimes it's not how good the option is, it's how much better it is than what you currently have.

I qualified 3 times on the M38 before finally getting a chance to qualify on the M9. The M9 was gold when you've been stuck with an M38.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I still think the best thing to do is tell the Hague accord to GFY and issue our guys Hollow points

It's my understanding the Hague accord doesn't apply to ISIS and insurgents. If the military used expanding bullets in our M-16s and M-4s there would be less ISIS and insurgents walking around.

You're right..but i speak in generalities. Regardless of who we are fighting we shoild say GFY to the Hague

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by lvmiker
You missed DD saying that in Vn. the tunnel rats liked using grenades.
I wonder why I never thought of that? With all that room for a full arm swing and no problem w/ concussion in a confined space what could be better? That kind of critical thinking is rare and precious.

mike r

DD was in the band.

Just sayin....

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Foxbat
I qualified 3 times on the M38 before finally getting a chance to qualify on the M9. The M9 was gold when you've been stuck with an M38.

M38?

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
M38 was the USAF designation for the Smith & Wesson Model 15 which was the official sidearm of USAF from 1962 to 1992.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,334
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.