Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Pat

How did your HD-B'S do at 11,000' when it came to baro pressure? My Leica 1600B ' s would not give me baro several years back when I was at 11,200'.

Alan

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
GSSP and Pat,
How are the HD-Bs in bright sunlight? I have used the Geovids almost since they came out and in bright sunlight it is some times difficult to get a reading even at 6-700 yards.
Bill

Last edited by Bill_Davis; 10/21/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Come on Billy...... are you serious?

Is a 200 yard shot at a deer running full sprint into a canyon with 20 minutes of light left "ETHICAL"?

Give it up man......

What does one have to do with the other? It's like a crackhead being confronted about his problem and saying "Meth kills more people, so I'm good". It's a deflection that doesn't cure the issue at hand.

I can't believe people are defending this sort of action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GSSP
Pat

How did your HD-B'S do at 11,000' when it came to baro pressure? My Leica 1600B ' s would not give me baro several years back when I was at 11,200'.

Alan

The "dope" was spot on....there was a couple inches of fresh snow, and the temp was 30*F. They worked well in the snow and bright sunshine too. Angle compensation was perfect as well..

The HD-B's are a completely different animal compared to the Geovids....much better laser, and better optics to my eyes anyway.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Bill

In bright light I've been able to ALWAYS range to at least 1600; 2100 in optimum light.

Alan

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Is a 200 yard shot at a deer running full sprint into a canyon with 20 minutes of light left "ETHICAL"?

Give it up man......

What does one have to do with the other? It's like a crackhead being confronted about his problem and saying "Meth kills more people, so I'm good". It's a deflection that doesn't cure the issue at hand.

What I can't believe is that you are taking a man to task that did nothing wrong, except the fact that he accomplished something that you can not.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Pat

Alan

The "dope" was spot on....there was a couple inches of fresh snow, and the temp was 30*F. They worked well in the snow and bright sunshine too. Angle compensation was perfect as well..

The HD-B's are a completely different animal compared to the Geovids....much better laser, and better optics to my eyes anyway.

I have had both 8X and now have 10X HD-b and both seem to have a bit of a green cast to them. Do you notice this? The rangefinding does surpass that of the EL, however...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Pat

Alan

I have had both 8X and now have 10X HD-b and both seem to have a bit of a green cast to them. Do you notice this? The rangefinding does surpass that of the EL, however...

I haven't noticed that, but when going head to head with my Leica 10X42 Ultravids in fast fading light, the Ultravids hold a slight edge over the HD-B's.

FWIW, my Vector 21(7X42) blows both away for optical clarity in any light. The accuity, power, and precision of the laser diode in that device is unmatched. I picked up the HD-B's for the size, weight, and ballistics program....I still have, and always will have the 21's.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For clarity, my 8X32 EL Swarovision beat the HD-b. I expected more with the Perger porro-prism. I am not disappointed with the rangefinding aspects of the Leica. I am waiting to see what Swarovski comes up with next...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jwp475

Give it up man......

What I can't believe is that you are taking a man to task that did nothing wrong, except the fact that he accomplished something that you can not.

What makes you think I couldn't accomplish said task?

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Give it up man......

It's exactly the same thing.....

there's a reasonable doubt about where that bullet is going to end up.... in the case of the OP, I have ten times the faith that he'd exicute the shot he made..... over Average Joe Hunter making a running shot at 200. But, I don't ever hear you bitching at guys for taking that shot..... why?

You're continual hounding of guys taking and making shots they PRACTICE ALL THE TIME..... and acceptance that just because a shot is inside an arbitrary yardage it's 'ethical'..... shows a serious disconnect usually reserved for Liberals.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, those guys making 200 yard running shots next to a canyon 4 minutes from dark are in the wrong too. Where are those guys posting up bragging pics on this site?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Is it ok 1 hour before dark?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What made this shot ethical?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking about posting to one of the forums whose subject I know nothing about and letting all the regulars there know that they're a bunch of knuckle-draggers.

Hmmm...
I'm thinkin' I'll start with the Cowboy Action forum.

grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What makes a 35 yard bow shot ethical?

The confidence that you can make it, without any doubt. If there's any doubt, don't break the trigger or pull back the string.

Pay grades will vary....stay within them.

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just to clarify I was saying this to the equipment used

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What makes a 35 yard bow shot ethical?

The confidence that you can make it, without any doubt. If there's any doubt, don't break the trigger or pull back the string.

Pay grades will vary....stay within them.

No doubt.

When a guy sends one over the animal's back, then takes a quartering shot at a wee bit closer range minutes from dark, there was damned sure some doubt about the shot. Especially when the word "flabbergasted" was used. Curious if we would've heard the story had it ended with a search in the dark for a wounded elk.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Give it up man......

What makes you think I couldn't accomplish said task?

You.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In the case of big game, especially considering the circumstances? No way I'm taking that shot.

In the case of E-types or rocks? Sure.

Walking away to hunt another day or eating a tag is always an option, and either of those options beats a late night rodeo by a damn sight. It only takes one of those to make a guy seriously re-evaluate how bad he needs to make an iffy shot.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 38 invisible), 1,983 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.