Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wouldn't mind a Montana 300 savage...It would probably kick like my fwt 06, but would be a fun little rifle to have..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a Kimber Montanan in a 325 wsm that thing was a sweetheart to shoot lost it in a river long story.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Should have been using a Ruger Zytel stocked rifle for that. You know the "boat paddle" Ruger. It would be hard for me to row a boat with a nice light Montana...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to admit I have never spent a second thinking about making one of my rifles lighter.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I have an XTR FWT already that is about 6 3/8. That is with an HS stock on it from the old days.

I'd like to use a pre64 and get down a bit lighter. With a good straight stock and recoil pad, the 30-06 isn't bad at all at that weight.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I wouldn't mind a Montana 300 savage...It would probably kick like my fwt 06, but would be a fun little rifle to have..

With a 130TTSX going around 2900+ it is a nice push compared to a 165 from my Model 70 .308W FWT.

Last edited by battue; 10/17/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

With a 130TTSX going around 2900+ it is a nice push compared to a 165 from my Model 70 .308W FWT.

Thanks battue. I think that would be the perfect bullet for the ol savage too. I think Scotty steelhead runs that one in his 300's..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think it should work. Usually not this good, but 1.5 isn't uncommon at 200.

And with regards another thread the rifle is FLB.

Personally I wouldn't be messing with a Model 70 trying to arrive at 6lbs when Kimber already does the work for you in a similar package.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with that. Good shooting buddy!! I'm still regretful I didn't have more time when I was in Pittsburg to come visit with you. I would have loved to check that rifle out!! Speaking of FLB rifles. My best shooter is FLB, but it is a CZ 550 American 9.3x62mm. It's so damn consistent that I can't believe it most times!! That rifle has 2 recoil lugs so I figured it would benefit greatly by glassing both recoil lugs and the length of the barrel channel and calling it a day:

[Linked Image]

This rifle doesn't falter a bit. I'm actually thinking about making it more winchesteresque: 3 position wing safety and probably a McMillan stock of sorts.. wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice and maybe another time.

And make that two threads. The barrel is a Douglas.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.. grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
....and yes, Scott is the reason this rifle was put together. The .300savage is a sleeper that was ahead of its time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want a 6 pound fwt, I'd think about a Kimber.

Kimber says its 7mm-08 Montana is 5 lbs 2 ounces

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
....and yes, Scott is the reason this rifle was put together. The .300savage is a sleeper that was ahead of its time.

That's an awesome package right there! Really, what can you not do with it???

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leave that fine rifle alone and use it as it is.

You could save it's stock from wear and a pad by getting a lightweight syn. stock and save some weight also.

Instead buy a Kimber 84M. They are the state of the art for lightweight rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Leave that fine rifle alone and use it as it is.

You could save it's stock from wear and a pad by getting a lightweight syn. stock and save some weight also.

Instead buy a Kimber 84M. They are the state of the art for lightweight rifles.

That almost makes too much sense. You been drinking tonight or what? grin

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dakota: I will add my 2 $ worth to your question. A pre-64 70 featherweight action weighs 45 oz. A Rem. 700 long action 43 and a large ring 98 44 oz. so there is really not a lot of difference in action weights. The pre-64 aluminum floorplate is .75 oz. and the trigger guard is .86 oz. so a blind magazine is not going to save you much if anything. That leaves the barrel, stock and optics. The featherweight barrels are .560" at the muzzle which, depending on caliber is quite light, although in a .270 you might get down to .500". Talley lightweight mount/rings is quite light but I didn't weigh mine prior to installing.

However, here is some food for thought. There are some real trade-offs in superlight rifles. I prefer a much heavier rifle, even for mountain hunting and I am 66 years old. I've hunted with pre-64s almost exclusively for the past 30 years. I just got back from a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt and my rifle was a pre-64 with 25" Douglas barrel in .300Win.weighing almost exactly 9 #. After a very hard climb along with the excitement, I am very glad I had a heavier rifle for holding steady. For mountain hunting, I would personally never want anything less than 8 lbs. I believe the disadvantages of the super lightweight rifles far outweigh the advantages when the moment of truth comes. Good Luck.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt heavier will hold a little steadier, but when shooting at the vitals the size of big game from field positions the advantage is not all that great. I've proven it to myself more than a few times.

Balance is the key to a great LW rifle.

Addition: Differences in individual body strength and size are also factors of what weight is best for one person over another. I'm on the LW side of the people scale. What works best for me may not be the same for a much bigger/stronger individual.

Last edited by battue; 10/21/14.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Dakota: I will add my 2 $ worth to your question. A pre-64 70 featherweight action weighs 45 oz. A Rem. 700 long action 43 and a large ring 98 44 oz. so there is really not a lot of difference in action weights. The pre-64 aluminum floorplate is .75 oz. and the trigger guard is .86 oz. so a blind magazine is not going to save you much if anything. That leaves the barrel, stock and optics. The featherweight barrels are .560" at the muzzle which, depending on caliber is quite light, although in a .270 you might get down to .500". Talley lightweight mount/rings is quite light but I didn't weigh mine prior to installing.

However, here is some food for thought. There are some real trade-offs in superlight rifles. I prefer a much heavier rifle, even for mountain hunting and I am 66 years old. I've hunted with pre-64s almost exclusively for the past 30 years. I just got back from a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt and my rifle was a pre-64 with 25" Douglas barrel in .300Win.weighing almost exactly 9 #. After a very hard climb along with the excitement, I am very glad I had a heavier rifle for holding steady. For mountain hunting, I would personally never want anything less than 8 lbs. I believe the disadvantages of the super lightweight rifles far outweigh the advantages when the moment of truth comes. Good Luck.

Some good points and food for thought. I can add that a fwt barrel in 06 weighs 2lbs on the nose.
For myself, a rifle can be too light. To go to an extreme, if weight was the primary consideration it's hard to beat a pistol for lightweight!
At 7lbs scoped a rifle is as light as I care to hunt with and expect to shoot well. If I was backpacking in 10-15 miles with camp on my back for a week I could possibly be persuaded to go a little lighter!
As an aside, I also detest short barrels, short being anything under 22", and too long being anything over 24" in a bolt action. Being on the short side of 6' tall may have something to do with that. I've personally settled on a target weight of 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 lbs, scoped but empty, for typical deer cartridges. I suspect Jack O' knew a thing or two! You want to give me a 7mm mag or larger and I'm a lot happier with more weight, 8lbs for a 7 mag works for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No doubt heavier will hold a little steadier, but when shooting at the vitals the size of big game from field positions the advantage is not all that great. I've proven it to myself more than a few times.

Balance is the key to a great LW rifle.

Addition: Differences in individual body strength and size are also factors of what weight is best for one person over another. I'm on the LW side of the people scale. What works best for me may not be the same for a much bigger/stronger individual.

Battue, have you shot the postal (positional) match yet? That's a great way to see what rifle handles best in different field positions. Doing that shoot can be an eye opener: A rifle that you thought fit you best may not work as well as another in certain field positions. Try that shoot if you haven't yet..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.