Print Thread
Hop To
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
The last two CO 1st Rifle elk seasons my feet have been a bit chilly at times. 7-9" of snow last year, temps in the upper teens and 20s first thing in the morning this year. My feet are only cold if sitting for a long period or simply standing around camp in the evening. Currently I am wearing Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. They are uninsulated. I love the fit, support, grip, everything about them, except warmth. I wear a single pair of wool socks. My feet tend to sweat a bit so breathability will be important. I am debating whether to try a better sock combination or some insulated boots. I just picked up some Thermasilk sock liners to see if that will make a difference. For new boots, I tried on the Meindl Perfekt, Meindl Denali and the Kenetrek Extreme Hunters. Did not like the Denalis. The Perfekt and Kenetreks both weren't bad. Definitely stiffer and a small concern about heel fit. My bigger concern, and why I'm posting this, is how will an all leather boot breath with my sweaty feet once the temps warm up during the day? Any experience out there?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I wear Kennetreks with the 400gram and they can get hot. I never understood how anyone can claim a boot like these will breathe. I've heard guys say it, but there is just no way. Leather, goretex, insulation and rubber. That's a lot to get past but maybe a boot breathing is more a boot absorbing. I'd be looking at 1,000 gram thinsulate boots or 400 with a boot blanket for glassing. My feet in the 400 gr boots will get cold sitting around.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were in your shoes, I'd try the liner sock and/or a heavier weight wool one first. I've not had much trouble getting could feet in my Extremes or most recently Denali's, but if they do I just move to a bit heavier sock. For me, that means going from a 'hiker' weight to and 'expedition' weight.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I did have a pair of all leather boots (Silvis I think) 5-6 years ago, and I recall my feet getting very wet from sweat. Even though it was cold out and the ground was covered in snow. Appreciate the comment on the Kenetreks. My feet might be worse off if they are exceptionally damp, than if using the uninsulated boot that potentially breathes better. I am going to give the silk liner + expedition weight wool sock routine a try. Worst case, I can always put some toe warmers on.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have been very pleased with a pair of Crispi Wild boots that I got a few years ago. I usually wear a pair of sock liners and medium weight merino wool socks. Has worked from 20 degrees to 60ish.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Nothing insulated breathes well. Truth told, in those cool conditions, nothing leather breathes much either. The insulation doesn't work near as well when it gets damp. Pac boots work so well in cold weather because the felted liners can be removed to better dry. Alternating felt liners works much better still.

I've had good luck in your conditions with 200-400 gram thinsulate boots sized to fit with heavy wool socks. Try to dry your boot insulation out overnight as best you can. Heavy wool socks will absorb a huge amount of moisture before they get clammy or lose warmth. A sock change brings back most of the insulation. It helps keep the boot insulation from damping out too.

Consider using a camp boot at night. It'll give your feet a rest and give your boots more time to dry out too.

You can also cut down on foot sweat with spray on anti-perspirant.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would start with antiperspirant on your feet. Less sweat while moving will keep your feet warmer the rest of the time.

I've never had a boot that was waterproof and breathable at all.

I use liner socks to fine-tune fit. I don't notice a difference in warmth, and in fact I've taken them off to get a little better circulation and ended up with warmer feet.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If you want to stick with your current boots then purchase slip on boot insulators. I use a pair of Arctic Shield insulators and they work very well down to single digits. You can stick hand warmers in them as well for added warmth.

They are light weight and easy to put on and off when you are sitting.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those insulators could be nice when around camp. Thx.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have resorted to wearing three pairs of wool socks. I have to go a size larger boot than I normally wear but that works better for me since the larger boots keep my toes from jamming the end on serious downhill stuff. The outer portion of boots get wet in snow, and once wet, there is no breathability. Some boots breath when dry, but not when wet. I also carry spare socks and swap out daily or sooner if needed. I use "hot hands" to dry out socks at night in the sleeping bag. Putting a "hot hands" packet in the outer layer (third layer) sock at night feels great and also dries out all three layers by morning.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a lot of customers using the Zamberlan 960 with a full cushion darn tough socks and thinsulate sole insoles. Seems to be a great combo!

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just saw those thinsulate insoles. Need to look into them more.

Edit: Those German Kinetics are nice broadheads! I have a few.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use some scent away powder on my feet to help keep them dry longer from any sweat. If I sit in the cold I have to wear some type of pack boot as my feet would never stay warm in leather, although they last the longest in a pair of Danner pronghorns with 1200 gram thinsulate in the early season. Warmest leather boots I've ever worn. And they're light too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the conditions you described I find my Schnee Hunter boots work best. I've never been able to get an all leather boot to hold up (keep my feet warm AND dry) on mulitple consecutive days in cold wet conditions.

I arrived at the Schnee decision when planning a BC late season goat hunt. The outfitter said to be sure to bring warm dry boots so I asked him what he used.

Yes, they don't provide the support an all leather boot provides but are far better than other pack boots I own. We did some serious climbing on the hunt and they worked fine.

The best thing I've found to keep my feet warm is a chem heater in my shirt pocket over my heart. It amazes me how much one little heater adds to my overall warmth.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
A quality gore-tex lined leather boot will breath ok IF treated with water based waterproofing product (nikwax, grangers g-spray). I have used some zamberlan 960s for about a year and i think they are a solid boot they seem to breath well enough and a pretty waterproof with the water based applications i have been using.... Once the goretex liner starts leaking which it inevitably will ill just start using Obenaufs and seal up the boot for good.

I really liked those quest gtx boots super comfy and light.. wish they made them without the goretex liner though... I defiantly think they are too light to used for stomping around in snow for a week Imo.

There are plenty of options for boots just order a bunch of pairs from amazon or zappos with free return shipping.. id start at the lowa hunters, or the uninsulated tibets something that'll work for your narrow heel .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get cold, sweaty feet. (They smell great though)

I typically use antiperspirant and good wool socks in uninsulated boots. If it's going to be very cold, like minus temps, lots of snow, or stand hunting, I wear an older pair of Sorel Mavericks. They're heavy, but they are warm.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been pretty happy with my Lowa Bighorns and Merino socks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
671 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.